Home Defense

vax

Spaceman
Besides what is said in the WC3 novel, what all do we know about Confederation Home Defense units. Are those like our National Guard and Reserves? I want to write a fanfic involving Home Defense and some info would really help.

There are a few references to Home Guard units in Fleet Action. Pretty much the only useful information to you would be that their power is such that they'd be able to repel Kilrathi raids, but not a proper assult.

In heart of the tiger, Flash is from a HD unit. Mostly rich draft-dogers serving in that one, like Bush in the Texas ANG during Vietnam.

But they did fly Thunderbolts...

I dunno if you can compare a HD squadron on a frontier world to 'draft dodgers'... Flash's family may have been powerful, but there was definately a serious risk to a Home Defense squadron...

Still... it kinda was... and there was risk in the Texas ANG too.

And Flash's parents saw the HD as lesser of two evils, rather than the test squadron he was in.

That's because people testing new fighters in a high-pressure wartime situation are, not suprisingly, killed a bunch! This does not mean that Home Defense on a fringe world is safe.

Thing is, those of us (including me) that are in the National Guard aren't draft dodgers or wanna be's or whatever. In wartime (even this war going on now) the National Guard and Reserves actually get deployed before the active duty people do. I see it happen all the time. At least that's the way it goes in the Air Force.
Anyway, that's what I wanted to know about HD units. And they most likely don't have carriers and stuff right? They're based of of land bases and moons and junk like that?

Right... they don't get deployed anywhere, they stay on their individual planets -- but they're certainly in danger.

(I suppose up until the Battle of Terra a HD unit on one of the homeworlds would have been a draft dodge of sorts... but not somewhere like Blackmane or Locanda...)

Don't get deployed into active Confed duty, or do they? Like how Blair was in the reserves until he was put back on active duty status. For part of my fanfic I want them to be activated onto some carrier. Would that be realistic?

Well, Blair was naval reserve, which is different... apparently Home Defense squadrons *are* part of the Space Force chain of command, and they can be transferred to a carrier or somesuch if they're needed.

I thought Home Defense squadrons was a branch of the reserve that only flew out of there base of there country or in this case planet. THey also remained in active duty as a last line of defense. Like the US homeland security branch.

I would imagine that if a carrier lost its entire flight compliment (including the pilots), then Confed might deploy a Home Guard unit as a replacement. Of course, the chances of that happening without losing the carrier, as well, as pretty low, but it is possible. One example is if a carrier is forced to sacrifice its fighters to make it through a jump point while fleeing a vastly superior force. With that example, to avoid making the captain seem to callous (unless you want him to be callous, of course), I would suggest having the late wing commander ignore orders to return himself and his pilots to the carrier before making the jump (much like Blair has the option to do in WC3 - though for entirely different reasons...), as the wing commander figures buying the carrier some time is preferable to the entire unit going down together (incidentally, that's the prologue to the Mekton Zeta campaign that I'll probably never quite get off the ground). In that instance, instead of deploying a green group of recruits to the carrier, Confed might transfer a Home Guard unit from a quiet system to serve as the nucleus of the new squadrons.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Well, Blair was naval reserve, which is different... apparently Home Defense squadrons *are* part of the Space Force chain of command, and they can be transferred to a carrier or somesuch if they're needed.

Wasn't he in the Space Force Reserve?

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
And the space force is the fighter branch of... the navy?

Fair enough...

So the Space Force isn't REALLY a seperate branch of the military in general, but a branch of the Navy?

I always considered the WC3 4 star logo to represent the military as a whole, with each star representing the Army, Navy, Space Force, and Marine Corps., and the big star represented the military as a whole....

Back