Hobbes funeral

In theory he could have died if you were on an early losing track that was never destined to reach the later game where he defected. But the way the mission tree works, Proxima and such take place lower down and the clip was deleted from the PC version.

I remember seeing it on the PlayStation version a looooong time ago, and I could never get it again. Maybe it was a hallucination.

If anyone is interested, I have just added the full video of Hobbes' Funeral on my website (extracted from the WC3 CDs).

Tom - It looks like it is - but is that off of the PC version cd's?

I've been trying to work on a solution to extract the videos from the playstation version (which actually looks to be higher quality... no "sticky" pixels for example). I know I can screen capture them (using epsxe emulator, which works well with a bit of tinkering by the way) but idealy I would like to extract the actual video files embeded in movies1.lib file (2,3,4 respectively for each CD). For the most part, All the PSX video playes cannot see the files. But PSound extracted sound effects, and PsxMC extracted the midi sequences). Another program however (MC32 aka movie converter 3.4) was able to see the videos listing them like on the wc4dvd sc_012a.wv etc. However an attempt to convert them gets the error message that the file is too large and asks that I use another editor to edit the script.

I am at a loss as to how to extract the wv files from th lib file and then to convert them to uncompressed avis (i would compress them again after). Plus I am not sure of the nature of the wv files either.

Any help anyone can provide is appreciated.

Yeah, it's from the PC Version. Sorry that I can't help you with your problem, but I never had a Playstation. So I never tried extracting videos from playstation CDs.

The Hobbes' video is in Wing Commander III for the PC -- I seem to recall that there was a special 'hacked' save game file that could be used to view it some years back.

One way to get the PSX Vids would be to hook up your Playstation/PS2 to a VCR, record the FMV to a blank video. then use something like WinTV where you can attach the device to a VCR and record the tape to mpeg/avi format. Therefore having the PSX vids in either mpeg/avi format for WC to enjoy

TopGun said:
One way to get the PSX Vids would be to hook up your Playstation/PS2 to a VCR, record the FMV to a blank video. then use something like WinTV where you can attach the device to a VCR and record the tape to mpeg/avi format. Therefore having the PSX vids in either mpeg/avi format for WC to enjoy

A couple of things... This would kinda defeat the purpose for why I want to do this. Plus it would require trying to play every single option available. And, as soon as I pass the feed through a vcr I have compromised any improvement in video quality. I can play the PSX version on my PC but again the same issue arises where, it would be a hassle to get all the videos. It does look decent when I use fraps to do a video capture, but that really isn't worth trying to do for more than just to show people the aprox. quality and to show that it is the psx version working on my PC.

TopGun said:

The VCR/blank tape step in the middle isn't even necessary. It's a straightforward process to hook up your console to your capture card and capture the video you record there. However AD is trying to get very high quality source videos, and this process can result in a noticeable loss of quality.

There used to be a program called PlayStation Media Player that could extract videos, images and sounds from PlayStation game CDs into whatever format your computer could encode into.

However last I checked it didn't want to work correctly on anything except Windows 95, 98 and ME

Nomad Terror said:
There used to be a program called PlayStation Media Player that could extract videos, images and sounds from PlayStation game CDs into whatever format your computer could encode into.

However last I checked it didn't want to work correctly on anything except Windows 95, 98 and ME

I've tried just about every different version of the kind of program you mention to no success. The closest I've come was with MC32 (movie converter ver3.4) in which I could see some of the embeded files but not extract them because the program figured the file was too large. I am running winxp so I'll try changing the compatibility to win98.

But if anyone has had any success in a proper win9x environment, let me know. Like Topgun said, I think the problem is wc3,4's oddball file format.

TomGaines said:
If anyone is interested, I have just added the full video of Hobbes' Funeral on my website (extracted from the WC3 CDs).

Looks good.. if you have a less compressed version, we can easily post it at the CIC to share with people without using up all your bandwidth.

I would be happy to send you a less compressed version. I just experimented a bit with different codecs and bitrates, but the video doesn't look much better than in my first version. The source isn't the best. The WC3 videos have a resolution of 320x160, so there isn't much to begin with. I made a divx version with 970kbps video and 128kbps mp3 audio, which has 6.9MB that I could send to you.

Back