HLP is broken

From the reports I've been hearing, it's due to high usage. They are currently moving to a new server in order to help fix the problem. Hopefully, this time will really do the trick (it wasn't that long ago that they moved servers over there, if my memory serves me).

If they're serious about their community, they really need to bite the bullet and invest in real hardware and capacity. They just switched off of Gamespy which carried them for free for many years, and there have been a whole bunch of downtimes since then that were supposedly aimed to fix everything. Community hubs rise and fall based on the willingness of their webmasters to do this. The great Space Quest community site seemed on the verge of collapse some months ago when their main guy got fed up with the "outrageous $250 annual bill" (and some various minor personal problems). It definitely pays off in the long run when you're able to do more with your site.

It's not really "high usage" -- it's not having a freaking clue what usage means. They left their free corporate hosting without having any idea what arranging private web hosting actually means.

Haha. Really web hosting is not all that expensive. Biting the bullet by paying a couple hundred a year is not that bad if you care about your site. I'm just glad the CIC has such a great support behind it. Definitely helps when you're downloading those Academy Episodes and such. :)

Well, web hosting will seem surprisingly expensive to someone who's had it for free for years -- HLP left their professional host thinking that all those "UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH $5.99!!!!!!!!" claims were somehow legitimate.

I might have a little something for you guys when its back up, although i havent been able to do too much.:(

Also, my email has been down for a few days, so if you have to send something, please send it to my hotmail account: eystein_mikael@hotmail.com

Hey, we'll take whatever you've got, Dyret (and we are looking forward to it, at that). Just because HLP is down doesn't mean that WC Saga is down.

For general reference, many HLP folks have a "plan B" home to get in touch with each other when HLP is down. You can check out one plan B spot at http://www.game-warden.com/forum/index.php (and the BSG mod there looks awesome, by the way!)

We would love to do that, and I have seen some very nice looking cockpits that have been done by our expert moders. :) However, there are a lot of complications with FS2 in implementing cockpits, so it may just be a nice dream and I certainly can't make any promises. But never say never. I'd better not say too much for fear that Tolwyn or Starman will hunt me down like a dog and rip my loose tongue out of my head (oh, there's a fun visual).

I thought there would be quite a bit of interest in the BSG mod. Like all other FS2SCP mods, it will be completely stand-alone and free. It never hurts to have another well-done fan space sim!

As you might have also noticed in the BSG trailer inside the cockpit their are no functional displays.
So what I guess they have done is implementing the cockpit but without any usable informations on the displays its not that good in my opinion. Sometimes you just need to know different things. Also as you might have noticed their wasn't any target rectangle. For BSG its ok since you can aim quite good with these MGs but with the lower firerate of WC it could turn out difficulte.

Still SCP is developing further an further so that things might become possible or not.

Unregistered said:
As you might have also noticed in the BSG trailer inside the cockpit their are no functional displays.
So what I guess they have done is implementing the cockpit but without any usable informations on the displays its not that good in my opinion. Sometimes you just need to know different things. Also as you might have noticed their wasn't any target rectangle. For BSG its ok since you can aim quite good with these MGs but with the lower firerate of WC it could turn out difficulte.

Still SCP is developing further an further so that things might become possible or not.

I did notice that and quite frankly...I didn't care. It was still a sweet cockpit and I'd rather have a sweet cockpit without "working" instrumentation then the generic HUD of FS2 anyday.

Back