Hidden Talents

Hidden talents?... Gee, lets see, I can...:

-Peel an orange in one piece
-Write with both my left and right hands at the same time
-Untie a pretzel
-Sit down and read the Sunday paper whilst watching a football game on TV and listening to a basketball game on a Walkman (w/ earphones)
-Open a bottle of beer (with old- fashioned NON twist-off cap) without a bottle opener
-Do dead-on voice impersonations of many famous/celebrity people, as well as various foreign accents
-Wring grease outta a french fry
-Speak spanish without a trace of "gringo" accent
-Run a 50,000 watt FM radio network (really!) for an 8-hr shift, with the power of sonic life and death over hundreds of thousands of potential listeners
- Suture surgical wounds and cut my own stitches all with only one hand

I could go on and on...

One thing I can't do: change my own oil....

Originally posted by Concordia
One idea is to take your finger or fingers and extend them to the point where you're about to gag. Then hold it there and try not to gag for 10 seconds and do this repeatedly...
<snip>
...The blade must be blunted, otherwise putting the blade that deep would be suicide.
Wow, I have to say I'm very impressed, but I certainly wouldn't want to do it myself! :)

You guys are going to mess around and have people all over the world messing themselves up trying this. Maybe a disclaimer about not trying it unless you can read a stop sign without moving your lips or something.;)

ok well I don't know about it being an illusion or not, but I'm pretty sure that it's not just a normal sword they'r jamming down their throats

Originally posted by CrashOV
ok well I don't know about it being an illusion or not, but I'm pretty sure that it's not just a normal sword they'r jamming down their throats

The sword is blunted.

-Concordia

have U ever seen the inside of the human body in school? I wouldn't try shoving a sword in there, blunted or sharp

If it´s blunt, there is no problem, and the sword isn´t so long.
only reach the middle of the esophagus, or near that point.

I play bass guitar for church and stuff along some guys who have degrees in their instruments...pretty amazing people actually.

I've actually won a medal(my only medal :() for the best bass player in B grade jazz ensembles for my state and it was my first year in band and I'd only joined the band with one year's experience.

Originally posted by Concordia
You can also condition yourself not to gag if you stick your fingers down your throat repeatedly.

If I managed this, would I be able to down pints of beer in one go? Is it an associated reflex? I've always wondered...

Originally posted by jammyo2k

If I managed this, would I be able to down pints of beer in one go? Is it an associated reflex? I've always wondered...

You could just hold your throat open and pour a beer down. Of course you might want to practice with one of those funnel-tube things for chugging beer at parties.

Yes, I've done this.

-Concordia

Well I'm English and even the students don't tend to pour that much beer down their throats. I think this is because the beer tends to be stronger over here (usually a min of 5% alcohol). However, there is the old tradition of a yard of ale, which if you replace with lager can be lethal :D

The reason I asked is that I can't just hold my throat open. I just wondered if the gag reflex thing was related.

A google-search for +"sword swallowing" and reading a few FAQs would seem to indicate that the initial poster is full of crap... and not swords.

Back