Hi, I'm new...

Jacob

Rear Admiral
Hello all,

I'm new here at this board as you can probably tell, and most places I've been it's more or less customary for one to start up a thread when you're new. However, I don't see any here, which either means that it's not, or there haven't been many new members. I'm not sure of which, but if this kind of thread isn't something that you all do, I'm sorry, and please get rid of the thread.

I started following the Wing Commander series when I found the two Peter Telep novels at this last-chance book place called "Book Sale", where I got the two books for around $2 each. I still have yet to read them, as I was busy with high school (and now college), but I did find the movie over at Suncoast for $6 on DVD, so I figured "What the hell", and bought it. I popped it in my parent's DVD player (the DVD drive on my computer has been broken since...November), and sat wide-eyed in front of the screen for the next two hours.

DAMN!

Kickass movie, if I do say so myself. The Wing Commander community on Livejournal.com doesn't think that highly of it (which is the reason I didn't join, it would look rather bad for me to come in there "Hey, I loved that movie!" to a group of people who obviously hated it), but I thought it was pretty decent. Pity that it didn't do well in the box office.

Anywho, because of this movie, I've started to get into the video games. I have Wing Commander: Prophecy for the GBA, Wing Commander: Academy for PC (doesn't work because it's DOS, ARGH!), and I just bought Wing Commander: Prophecy for PC this evening up on eBay. I hope to continue buying the games and learning more about this cool video game series.

I suppose that's all, since I figure I shouldn't bother going into my likes, dislikes, etc. So I pretty much hope to be posting here for a while, and come to learn more about the Wing Commander series.

Concerning the crappy movie, well, I've already po'd too many people with my posts on other threads. As a new member though, that means you don't hate me yet, right? :)

Nah. It's cool. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Your's just happens to be wrong. :p

Jacob said:
Nah. It's cool. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Your's just happens to be wrong. :p
I concure, personally I didn't think the movie was too bad, it could have been a hell of a lot better, but it was still good

Hey there Jacob,

Great to see some enthusiasm about the Wing Commander movie. I'll admit that its a horrible guilty pleasure movie of mine and I have a great deal of affection towards it.

There's a Wing Commander community on LJ? I should probably shy away from it - LJ Communities tend to be a pain in the arse.

I've never really understood the hatred for the Wing Commander Movie - I've always thought it was pretty decent, both as a movie and Wing Commander. Even the parts that directly contradicted logic and science.

(Then again, I liked The Last Samurai, although I suspect more for New Zealand than the story. I hope any new WC movie centers around Doomsday).

Heck, the Wing Commander movie got me into flight sims. I thought the dogfights were beautifully done, and the soundtrack really compliamented the movie. I can't wait until Wing Commander: Prophecy comes in so I can use my Top Gun joystick with it...

There's a Wing Commander community on LJ? I should probably shy away from it - LJ Communities tend to be a pain in the arse.

I think it's like one guy and it isn't active. :) The silly WC movie comment is also why I didn't join... but if livejournal people are into WC, I'm 'Banditloaf' and I frequently post WC stuff.

I'm 'DAlonzo9.' I rarely post about WC stuff but I commissioned my friend to make a Wing Commander LiveJournal layout for me. It features a pic of the Tiger Claw. The whole thing rocks, though.

I'm trying to get a good pic of the Unified Forces symbol as it appears on the terminals aboard the Victory (the glowy green one) so I can swap my default LJ avatar from Richter Belmont's bust to that.

Ah, yes, and WELCOME, Jacob :D

Bandit LOAF said:
I think it's like one guy and it isn't active. :) The silly WC movie comment is also why I didn't join... but if livejournal people are into WC, I'm 'Banditloaf' and I frequently post WC stuff.

Considering our bullshiting on my LJ about the Midway, we should consider a Wingnut Community or something. (And then not invite Frosty)

The WC Movie is not a bad movie in its own right--an "A-" I guess. It is just it comepletely veers away from the WC storyline.

(And that is all I am going to say and just hope nobody turns this thread into another WC movie debate thread. :( )

--Naaahhhh!! probably not :) --

The WC Movie has already been sufficiently debated. It appears that most of what people don't like on the movie was put there by design (pilgrims, space submarine look, "different" story).

I remember some early impression on the movie where the person didn't like the space fighters shotting "bullets" instead of lasers, and it looked like WW2 fighters in space. Someone, maybe Chris Roberts, said that's what they were trying to do.

The only thing I miss from the movie that didn't get to the DVD was the really underexposed look we got from the theater. What was it - European film stock didn't translate over well to the American projectors?

Holy crap...is this place considered the official Wing Commander website or something? I just registered for Secret Ops, and I clicked on the Chat area and got redirected to HERE!

...I feel like such a newbie...

Probably because I am, lol.

What was it - European film stock didn't translate over well to the American projectors?

The claim at the time was that Chris had filmed the movies really 'dark' segments without considering the fact that most theater projectors aren't ever as bright as they should be. You can duplicate this by turning down the brightness on your TV (G)

The WC DVD could use some extras.

Depends on your country - a few of the European ones have little featurettes... and the Japanese one has a timeline I wrote! Yay! (and cool 3D menus).

What the movie *really* needs is an anamorphic transfer.

The entire subplot that was cut out from the movie?

The thing about deleted scenes is that you must have some comment on the, to put them in context. The deleted scenes of "Conan" were bizarre.

Back