Hi guys... question about wc1 Mission Tree?

Hello..

1st.. have to say this site is amazingly good. I am having a total blast playing wing commander 1 again and plan to play to the end of the Kilrathi Saga in wc3.. anyway the files section and the tech support area has bee so helpful. So thanks guys. 20 years and going strong... wc rules!!!

Anyway... I was wondering if you guys know of a graphic "flow chart" typing thing or some other kind of visual aid for the mission tree. Basically I love teh imersive way this game alllows you to fail and put you on different sotry paths, but well.. i still want to win AND experience this ... You have a very detailed mission area on this site but I can not seam to see a "at a glance" mission tree image.

Basically I wish to fail and experience the game tree proper but I also wish to be able to know witch missions i need to keep trying at so i end up on the winning path... if you know what i mean...

Is there a mission tree image already made? Or should I just make one myself from the detailed mission information on this site?

I ended up just making my own... I will make a new one for each expansion and game I play on my way though the Kilrathi Saga... I may p[lay the others.. but we will see after 1-3 + expacs...

anyway here it is if you want it

Ok... here is teh wc2 tree.. the secret missions for wc1 seam to have no branching at all so i didn't bother with them... To be honest once i mapped this out I was a bit disappointed, as you do not really need it... the only "path" is during the Enigma sector... basically if you do not die, you will end up there, then win / lose in the next sectors will take you to the 2 endings.

Anyway, I have yet to finish wc2, so this image may change, once i have finished I will prob ALT+DEL my way to test "ejection = death" along the winning tree and replace the WIN at the bottom with a graphic of the win.. and I think even though you win the game on the last 2 zones, you in fact get different endings... not sure, if so this will be on the map as well..

Anyway,, hope you like it

I ended up just making my own... I will make a new one for each expansion and game I play on my way though the Kilrathi Saga... I may p[lay the others.. but we will see after 1-3 + expacs...

anyway here it is if you want it

McAuliffe, still my favorite system.

Very nice work. What are you using to create the flowcharts?

I particularly like how the "bad endings" get Blair covering his face as his ship explodes.

Ok... here is teh wc2 tree.. the secret missions for wc1 seam to have no branching at all so i didn't bother with them... To be honest once i mapped this out I was a bit disappointed, as you do not really need it... the only "path" is during the Enigma sector... basically if you do not die, you will end up there, then win / lose in the next sectors will take you to the 2 endings.

Anyway, I have yet to finish wc2, so this image may change, once i have finished I will prob ALT+DEL my way to test "ejection = death" along the winning tree and replace the WIN at the bottom with a graphic of the win.. and I think even though you win the game on the last 2 zones, you in fact get different endings... not sure, if so this will be on the map as well..

Anyway,, hope you like it

Nice work. But I've noticed that you've missed something: If you eject during the assault on the Heaven's Gate Starbase, the Kilrathi destroy the Concordia, take the Enigma sector and advance upon Earth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPcePe93_6s

Wow I don't think I ever tried that, I hardly ever eject.

About Secret Missions: how much do you have to fail to lose? Cause to me it seems you can fail lots of missions in SM1 and still keep going and win, but in SM2 you can't afford to lose anything at all (except you don't need to kill everything on dralthi and that one early hornet mission).

secrets of the wing commander universe by mark minasi has flow charts in and he comments on the need to win/lose things in the secret missions, i don't have my copy here but i can check on thursday and see what he says about it.

They're pretty, but you have some typos. There should be no space in McAuliffe, and you've misspelled Hell's Kitchen and Novaya Kiev.

They're pretty,

Thanks... they are ment to be.. the ones i found on google images or on the wiki are ugly and gross and not something i want to print out and store in my box :)

you have some typos. There should be no space in McAuliffe, and you've misspelled Hell's Kitchen and Novaya Kiev.

yea.. i will be fixing them up when i get around to it... as well as adding that extra ejection... I was sure i copy/pasted form the mission faq on this site.. so a bit weird i got spelling errors... oh well.. no one is perfect.. least of all me :)

As for McAuliffe i alway thought the "mc' prefix had a space after it.. like Mc Cloud or w/e but a few google searches shows that you do not put a space after the mc...

Like I said when i get around to it I will update this post

Thanks... they are ment to be.. the ones i found on google images or on the wiki are ugly and gross and not something i want to print out and store in my box :)

Depending on what you found, they're also the classic originals. :) As gorgeous as anyone's new one might be, it's hard to beat something like this:

transfer.png

For the record, I modified that screenshot to minimise the image dimensions, but the only change I made was to move the Win/Lose Key box from the bottom left corner (if I recall correctly), to the bottom of the tree as you see in that image. As far as I can remember, everything else remains unchanged.

It didn't occur to me until just now but that above screenshot reminds me very much of the node system from the wing commander CCG.

Back