Here's my Raptor...if you're interested

U

Unregistered

Well I know I've been far out of the loop and you may already have this. But I've created a Raptor from the WC 1. Gevatter Lars knows me back from the Lancer's Reactor and had originally asked me to do some work with the Saga but I was overwhelmed at the time. Anyways, I know this Raptor doesn't exactly follow the original but it's the closest one I've ever seen (that includes the one that WC Standoff is using, they have the wrong textures for it but other then that their model is ace!) I loved the Raptor best of all WC 1 ships and decided that we needed it modeled. Here's a picture of my model, it is 1880 polys and I'm using a 512x512 texture map but of course that can be changed. I rendered this in a 3d program so it'd look ace (you'll notice the benefits of bump mapping). Anyways, if you'd like to use it in your FS mod, I'd be honored to let you have it. Let me know.

[img=http://home.mchsi.com/~daniel.goodwin/Raptor.jpg]

Oops, wasn't logged in. Let's try this image tag again...

Raptor.jpg

I like the Standoff model better to tell you the truth man. A different paintjob is one thing, a different model that doesn't look like the original is another. Now if you combined your textures with the Standoff model, that would be great.

I actually like it. It looks... heavy.

Though I loved flying the Raptor in the original WC, I find it rather limiting when trying to make some cool art. The shape is just... "odd" to work with. This one seems to offer a little more fluidity, without comprimising it's overall configuration. And also, it's always good to have a little change up once in a while, keep things interesting... I'd like to see some more views and possibly a better lit render?

You requested it, I can deliver. Here are some more views. Pysch, you think it's completely different? The only difference I can see is that I have two intake boxes (or whatever you want to call them) underneath the wings. But then again, I guess its all personal preference. I just thought maybe you all might like to use it. I don't know how many polys Standoff's version carries but like I said, this one is only 1880.

Oh yeah, the first pic here i'm including only because it took me almost all day to model that hangar type setting and i have to use it at least once. :)

raptorhangar.jpg

frontdown.jpg

raptorside.jpg

raptorback.jpg

The only difference I can see is that I have two intake boxes (or whatever you want to call them) underneath the wings

That and the whole extra set of wings, the nose shape, and the cockpit configuraton..... ;)

Also, there are some VERY black parts on your render, which makes it hard to see the actual model geometry... perhaps your scene ambience is too low? (I'm not exactly sure which 3D app your using, so I can't exactly refer to the "technical" aspects of it, but to lighten up those area's would be nice, even if slightly)....

If you're using some sort of light, I'd put another one on the other side (with a lesser brightness) to even up the lighting so it can be seen better. My opinion though... it looks nothing like a raptor, except for the C shaped wing thingies.

Edit:
shot12.png

Now THAT is a Raptor! :p :D

*sees the 9 other pictures and checks out the 10th one posted by t.c.cgi*

Finally! A Raptor! :p

Hmm, true there are those differences. I only had the old sprite images of the Raptor to work from so I had to "guestimate" some of the aspects/angles of the ship. I'm not denying that the Standoff's Raptor is good, the textures however are definitely off and by only going off the sprites it easy to ruminate about the differences. You don't have to use my model I just thought I'd try to offer my help, sounds like you're pretty well set...although i don't know if you already have the Standoff's raptor to use in your TC mod.

There are other references for WC1, though. In fact, WC1 Confed fighters have among the best reference sources of all WC ships - the blueprints that came with the game.

Maj.Striker said:
I don't know how many polys Standoff's version carries but like I said, this one is only 1880.
My Raptor model has 1214 triangles and two or three 256x256 256-color textures.

And Q's right... I used pics from www.blacklance.org/claw for reference, along with shots from the WC1 launch sequence for the front section of the ship, which are probably the best reference materials available for WC1.

And how are my textures "wrong"? It's a different paintjob, sure, but so is the Rapier's, the Crossbow's, the Gladius's, the Stiletto's... in fact, I think the Ferret is the only true-to-the-original paintjob among Standoff's Confed fighters.

Also, that shot is really freaking ugly. I'll never take another screenshot in a yellow sector again :p

Hmm, good reference points. Well, I can see I'm a little late on the Raptor model ;) but that's ok I needed practice anyway, I've only been modelling/texturing for a few months now. Eder, your Raptor model is ace (as I noted above ;) ) I'm truly looking forward to Standoff's release. However, if you need a modeller for any thing else please feel free to send me an email or such, I'd be glad to do what I can. (Yes, I think I can make models more like the originals if I have reference points).

Eder said:
And how are my textures "wrong"? It's a different paintjob, sure, but so is the Rapier's, the Crossbow's, the Gladius's, the Stiletto's... in fact, I think the Ferret is the only true-to-the-original paintjob among Standoff's Confed fighters.

Don't forget the Broadsword and Morningstar.

Maj.Striker said:
Eder, your Raptor model is ace (as I noted above ;) ) I'm truly looking forward to Standoff's release.
Thanks... and stay tuned, Standoff will be released eventually. :p

Maj.Striker said:
However, if you need a modeller for any thing else please feel free to send me an email or such, I'd be glad to do what I can.
But if I had people make the models for me, what would I do for kicks? Making mods isn't any fun when I don't get to make the 3d models :p

Sylvester said:
Don't forget the Broadsword and Morningstar.
True, that.

Back