Here's a technical one for HL2 modders

Shaggy

Vice Admiral
I just downloaded the source SDK and wanted to start building some singleplayer maps. The problem is that every time I try to create a mod folder the SDK crashes while it's copying the portugeuse.txt file to the mod's folder. Then I get the usual Microsoft error reporting window and Steam is still active in the tray but the SDK window is gone completely.

My mod folder is setup like "C:\Modname", I'm not placing it in the Program Files folder just straight to the C:\ drive.

Anyway here's my system specs:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
DirectX: 9.0c
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 with 256 Mb RAM
Resolution:1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Soundcard: Realtek AC97

I've been thinking about resurrecting my old WC Duke3d mod for HL2, but if I can't get the SDK to work then I don't want to get it started, because I don't to form a team and then not do ANY of the work. If I'm going to leave a big load of work to someone else it would be the custom models cause I have no experience 3D modeling in anything except Cybermotion.
I'd like to at least be able to build some maps.

Other than the onboard soundcard, your system specs arent a whole lot different than my own. After a reboot try the "refresh SDK content" button in the SDK menu, and possibly also the reset game configuration button. Make sure you have enough free space on the C: drive. Are you installing a portuguese version? What happens if you don't bother and just install english?

If it crashed again though, hit ctrl-alt-delete and steam or HL2.exe might still be listed if you hit the "Processes" tab. If so, choose it and then hit "end process" You should then be able to restart steam without a reboot. Let me know how it goes. I've been working with hammer for a while and have learned a few neat things.

Well the portuguese.txt is simply a text file, I think it's a help file. I'm not trying to install a portuguese version of the game or create a portugeuse mod.
I guess my biggest concern is if there is anything vital to a mod that is copied over after the portuguese.txt file. If not then I should be able to go ahead and start building the mod once the SDK recognizes it. I've got two mod folders setup already that Steam recognizes but the SDK doesn't seem to. I've tried the refresh options but maybe I'll give it another shot.
Thanks for the reply AD.

A little update the refresh SDK options doesn't work, it works but it doesn't fix the problem.
If I try to start up the editor from the mod folder it gives me the initial setup window and after I set all of the options and click the apply button I get the message that the changes won't take effect until I run the editor again and it promptly crashes similar to the mod creation crash.

Shaggy said:
A little update the refresh SDK options doesn't work, it works but it doesn't fix the problem.
If I try to start up the editor from the mod folder it gives me the initial setup window and after I set all of the options and click the apply button I get the message that the changes won't take effect until I run the editor again and it promptly crashes similar to the mod creation crash.

Why would you run the editor from the mod folder? Start the editor from the SDK menu. When you chose "create a mod" from the SDK menu what options did you pick? If you just want to make Multiplayer maps did you pick "modify HL2 multiplayer"? I wouldnt recommend the starting from scratch mode at all untill you really know how to work everything. Then pick a name for the mod and choose the directory (I assume you tried that). After it's all done the drop down menu at the bottom should be the name of your mod. When you start hammer it should automatically be saving things to your mod folder and all the compiled textures, models, material files etc. get automatically put in the mod folder.

Have you tried searching in the SDK reference docs? They are an invaluable tool for learning to map for HL2. There may be a suggestion there that might help.

The drop down menu doesn't show anything available. When I click on the arrow to drop down the menu it tells me there are no game configurations to work with.

The only reason I ever tried starting the editors from the mod folder was because it was the only way I could get any reaction. If I try to start it from the SDK menu it tells me to select a game configuration, which obviously makes sense, but at least starting the Hammer editor from the mod's folder I can start setting up the options required to run it, even though it does crash.

I'm starting to think that maybe with the SDK crashing before it finishes creating the mod folder I'm losing some files I need to make it work.

I finally got my SP mod folder setup without a crash and Hammer starts up fine.
Thanks for the advice AD!:) :D :)
Had to go through the 64 bit workaround, must of done it worng before, but it works now.

Back