Here's a sequel idea for WC...

"To be fair, *Armada* isn't at fault because you didn't have any friends. "

Oh, ok, now I see how it is around here...

Allow me to defend my negative disposition toward console games. First, I hate the idea that these video games cannot be upgraded, modified, or otherwise tweaked with. Secondly, console games work only on their respective consoles, whereas PC games are mobile between systems. Lastly, consoles can't do word processing, spread sheets, or any other basic computer functions, so it's more efficient to have a computer over a console any day of the week.

So there, we are at an impass with regards to how we entertain ourselves.

Arrogant? Hey, tell me what you really think...

Ironically, I thought the campaigns one single player were more fun than the deathmatches. They should bring back that idea. You can be the commander of a fleet, build your own ships, etc. and when they enter combat, you can jump into the action in your own fighter.

Sycorax said:
"

Allow me to defend my negative disposition toward console games. First, I hate the idea that these video games cannot be upgraded, modified, or otherwise tweaked with. Secondly, console games work only on their respective consoles, whereas PC games are mobile between systems. Lastly, consoles can't do word processing, spread sheets, or any other basic computer functions, so it's more efficient to have a computer over a console any day of the week.

Consoles have their place - with standardized equipment, it's easier to put out games which push the limits of said equipment, knowing that they will work the same way on each and every system you put them on, making QC a lot easier. With online content deliverable to the newest-generation consoles, you can also add new features. Consoles don't tend to crash as often as PCs do, though that's more the fault of the operating system and bad drivers, even when games do cause issues with a system.

I cannot play a Playstation2 game on an Xbox, nor can I play a GameCube game on a Dreamcast - so I do NOT understand where you got 'PC games are mobile between systems' from - it's like comparing apples and oranges. Console games are mobile between other systems of the same type, much as PC games are mobile between PCs who fit the minimum requirements and either share or have or compatible Operating Systems. However, I do know that, unlike PCs, if I take my newest Xbox game and go to a friend's house, it will work on his Xbox, without question, whereas if I take my copy of Halo over, it may not work at all due to driver issues, OS issues, or because he doesn't have enough hard drive space or RAM to run it. Maybe his video card isn't up to it. How 'mobile' is that? Or are you telling me you play Super Wing Commander on a Windows XP machine without emulation? Besides, PS2 can play PS1 games, and the Xbox2 is planned to be backwards-compatible with Xbox1 games. Mobile enough for you?

Upgrades: I add RAM and extra HD space to my PC, along with a memory card reader. On the Playstation and Playstation2, I can add more memory via memory cards. I can install Linux on the PS2 or Dreamcast, and use their keyboard and mouse to type. I can add a Network unit to the PS2 or GameCube (coming). I could do the same thing with a Dreamcast, which could go online to browse with its own browser. Xbox already has a hard drive, and you can throw one into a Playstation2. No upgrade path? Laddie, your KT-133A chipset will not accept Opteron or Athlon-FX 51 chips, much less newer Athlon XPs. It's got as much of a limited shelf life as a console. Less, when you consider that games can be programmed for the console years down the line while the PC development has long since moved on... look at the fact that Playstation 1 games are still in production, nine bloody years after the system was released - and they're playable on it. Try that with Deus Ex: Invisible War on your nine-year old PC. I can even whip out my old NES or SNES to play games on THAT, whereas the floppies for my nine-year-old games have since turned to useless plastic.

Computers are great for some things, games as well - but consoles do have their place, as dedicated hardware which do a few things really well, and quickly, without the looming threat of crashes or game-stopping bugs, at least when the company gave a damn about it. You don't see nearly as many consoles freezing up, at least when the game went through basic QC, as you do with PCs - because it's easier to test out the bugs on a Console.

Or are you arguing that PCs should be phones as well? I rather like my dedicated communications device - it's a lot more portable than anything save a handheld is... and I can still integrate handheld functions into that.

Not everything needs to be a Swiss Army Knife - I find my standard trail knife and a screwdriver takes care of most my needs, and are more robust solutions to boot.

First, I hate the idea that these video games cannot be upgraded, modified, or otherwise tweaked with.

I'm not sure - my experience, of course, is only limited to my collection of Wing Commander ports... but I know I've done a fair amount of upgrading to get them to work and look their best on consoles. Heck, you'll have a hard time playing Wing Commander SegaCD without upgrading your Genesis with a CD drive (and the installation of a SegaCD is at least as stupidly complex as stuffing a PCI card in place).

I think this is just a lack of understanding - console games don't "upgrade" for better performance in the exact same way as their PC equivalents... but they do go through the exact same process. Take Wing IV on the PSX. I started out with a PSOne and Wing IV... I wanted to make play it in the best way possible, so I had to search for a special type of controller (an awesome dual-stick flight setup). I wanted to make it look better (slightly!), so I bought a PS2. And a console is intimitely integrated into a home theater - something that, for enthusiasts, is far more complex and capable to upgrade than the process of jamming a new graphics card into a slot...)

Secondly, console games work only on their respective consoles, whereas PC games are mobile between systems.

I'm not sure what that means, exactly. I'll have a lot more luck and ease moving my copy of WCSNES from one SNES to another than I would running Privateer 2 on two different Win9X machines. (Heck, thanks to emulation, running WCSNES on a modern computer is a lot easier than running an old DOS game...).

Lastly, consoles can't do word processing, spread sheets, or any other basic computer functions, so it's more efficient to have a computer over a console any day of the week.

Well, I've got a $2200 laptop on which I play modern games and do my word processing. My sister has a $99 GameCube and a $200 wreck of a computer that she does her school work on. Which of us is the sucker?

(That aside, I can think of six consoles that have had WC games ported to them... and a fully third (2) of them can do word processing and the much-vaunted "spread sheets". :))

Has anyone said 'uninformed' yet?

Sycorax said:
Yes, that is how it is around here.
Allow me to defend my negative disposition toward console games.
Without parroting everything Haess and LOAF have already - and quite correctly - stated, I'd just like to point out that I thought your beef was with the Gameboy Advance, which is a handheld and not a console. I wouldn't venture a guess as to your exact level of intelligence, but I think that the number of functioning neurons required to understand the distinction is somewhat less than that required for breathing. That you've survived long enough to make ignorant posts to forums on the interweb is something of a marvel, really.
No, that's just something you said in hopes of making me go away.

But let's talk consoles:

Are you familiar with the term "exclusivity?" There are many games which you never have the option of playing. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that of my entire library of Gamecube games, you don't have any. And of my brother's X-Box collection, you might had the option to purchase something like 5% of those for your PC. That strikes me as willfull ignorance, which I've never heard anybody praise.

What about "value?" If I wanted only my Gamecube, and not my PC, I could have bought 40 more games, possibly more. Every dollar I spend keeping my computer up to date just so it can run one or two really high-profile titles like Half-Life 2 or Star Wars Galaxies is a dollar I could spend more simply buying Gamecube games. Games that look and sound better, and play more smoothly than on my more powerful computer.

And let's hear it for "common sense." I don't know about you, but I've spent more on keyboard/mouse combinations than a Gamecube costs. The even-more-capable X-Box is only 80 dollars more than that. Those are some pretty good bargains considering their service life, which usually extends beyond any one computer component (most of which in my machine cost more than 180 bucks.) All of that translates into Simpleton a little something like this: "Consoles are cheap, maybe you could have both."

If you want to deliberately limit your gaming experience, and deprive yourself of a good time, that's fine with me, buddy, but it leaves you rather unqualified to criticize consoles and handhelds, which are things you know nothing about.

Man, I only offered an opinion.

I gave up on consoles/handhelds/any other gaming system that you had to plug a card/chip/CD into that didn't have an install feature a long time ago, so I admit my information on your nintendos and segas is about 10 years old. I don't like a gaming system that behaves like the average kitchen appliance (a toaster, for example), and doesn't have huge price fluxuations around the holiday season resulting from ridiculous advertising encouraging parents to give into their child's whining.

An no comments on my intelligence please (Frosty, especially you), I would appreciate at least a semblance of civility and professionalism here. Insults do not create a community where free expression is allowed.

And Frosty, I'd watch that "survived" comment if I was you.

Man, I only offered an opinion.

As I'm sure Frosty will less-than-kindly point out, your right to have an opinion is not a guarantee that your opinion will be respected or considered correct. Go back and look at your original post: all console games and their little portable spin-offs are pitiful excuses of their PC counterparts. To a forum full of people who regularly play console games, that's flame-bait.

If your reply were "I don't know anything about consoles" or "I'm not interested in console games", no one would have paid it any mind - but you went out of your way to make that inane 'pitiful excuses' comment and everyone is going to quite rightfully correct your information.

Now, I'll admit that I know how you're thinking - I used to treat console games exactly the same way. My parents didn't let me have an NES growing up, and I was very disdainful of anyone who liked those silly 'arcade' games. I was playing the intelligent video games! Hell, if I hadn't bought a 3DO to play Super Wing Commander, I'd be acting smug and superior just like you. Stupid as it sounds, I bothered to try consoles and I ended up with a different respect for them. They're not PCs - but they have a lot of good qualities. Unlike PCs, you can always play your game as well as everyone else... stuff like multiplayer is a lot easier - I plugged a wireless router into an X-Box and I was shooting at Chris Reid ten minutes later...

Most importantly, though, is that I've found that consoles still offer limitations on game design - which PCs really don't anymore. Old games are often great *because* the developers had to work their asses off to fit them into 512k of DOS memory or onto two floppies or somesuch. Games were polished and perfect a long time ago. Not so anymore - your game isn't running fast enough? Make the gamer buy another stick of RAM.

Console games have those design limitations - they have to work perfectly out of the box given a very specific set of requirements. So you often have games that are *fun* instead of... whatever you said... 'upgradable'.

And Frosty, I'd watch that "survived" comment if I was you.

See, you can't plead for an intelligent debate and also make weird threats at Frosty. :)

Well, one bad turn deserves another, afterall.

And I was referring to the arcade style games produced for consoles in the late '80s and early '90s with my "pitiful excuses" remark, I guess I've gotten so old that I have a different reference point. I just didn't see the point in buying a $100+ system and expensive cartridges to play lower quality versions of the same games I could toss a quarter into at the local pizza parlor.

In an attempt to be a responsible citizen of this community, I accept the duty of delivering the following statements:

You're all horrible people (Edit: Except LOAF, since I don't like getting banned)

This thread is horribly off-topic

Flaming isn't smiled upon by the rules page

(All quoted from some person or another, from times gone by)

But, that aside, by all means, continue your shootout.

Well, one bad turn deserves another, afterall.

No, it doesn't - because all Frosty wants is to have pissed you off. And the weiner-y "YOUR GONNA REGRET THAT!!!!!!" bunk is a pretty good way for him to gauge the fact that he's done just that. :)

And I was referring to the arcade style games produced for consoles in the late '80s and early '90s with my "pitiful excuses" remark, I guess I've gotten so old that I have a different reference point.

That's a fun excuse, but no, you *weren't* talking about "consoles in the late '80s" because you were replying to a discussion about Prophecy Advance. People don't just show up and go "Completely ignoring but sounding exactly like the topic at hand, I hate Frogger!".

Frogger rocked! The next Wing Commander sequel should be console-only and the GameCube version can have GBA connectivity so you can unlock the hidden Frogger 26XX!!

OMG LOL

Frogger was pimp! So was Off Road and Asteroids, I must've spent millions of dollars playing those games!

I took Frosty's (paraphrased) "it's amazing you've survived this long" line as a malicious remark, which one could interpret as a real threat (at least to my computer), hence my counter remark informing him that he should use more judicious language on public forums.

I officially relinquish my right to post on this thread henceforth, since all I seem to do is get in trouble with console gamers.

Sycorax said:
Frogger was pimp! So was Off Road and Asteroids, I must've spent millions of dollars playing those games!

I took Frosty's (paraphrased) "it's amazing you've survived this long" line as a malicious remark, which one could interpret as a real threat (at least to my computer), hence my counter remark informing him that he should use more judicious language on public forums.

I officially relinquish my right to post on this thread henceforth, since all I seem to do is get in trouble with console gamers.

PC games used to be ones you plugged into the computer without installing as well - so how does that make them different from consoles? Newer consoles, the Xbox in particular, let you install new content on their hard drives... which is an install-based component. You have to wait for such things to load off said drive.

Maybe you should've done a bit of reading up before posting 'consoles aren't upgradeable, can't do word-processing, PC games are mobile between systems', etc. Two consoles in the past could do word-processing, incidentally, without having to add Linux to them.

As I noted earlier - PC games are only mobile between systems IF the other system meets the minimum requirements for OS and hardware capability - and even then isn't guaranteed to work. In that sense, it's no different from a console - you can't play GameCube games on a PS2, though it'll play just fine on another console the same or compatible hardware and OSes. (Example: PS2 playing PS1 games, PS2 playing Linux games, Dreamcast playing Linux games, etc).

Just like that PC.

Back