Here's a sequel idea for WC...

Perhaps EA will do us a favor and make the next WC game with a multiplayer mode/option. What a concept . . people wanting to fly with and/or against their friends in a real-time environment. I'd sell some unimportant and obscure part of my anatomy (save your jokes, please) for the chance to destroy the lot of you in a Ferret.

Eh, you gotta have subspace first. Though, now that I've got this new computer (that isn't working properly yet . . grr), I'll be able to do a lot more than I used to be able to . . . as soon as I get the stupid thing working . . . Man, I hate XP

WC Armada has limited multiplayer capability, I can recall having my ass kicked more than once in split-screen mode... so much for WC multiplayer being such a novel idea.

Yah, but I only got to play against someone once . . . and, he'd never played before, so it was pretty much unfair. And, Armada wasn't really the best WC game out there, to be honest.

Murray said:
I specifically liked the CGI graphics of the WC movie. It had one of the best explosion scenes among Sci-Fi movies. I mean the graphics were even better than the Star Trek Generations and the one they shot after Star Trek First Contact (forgot its name but supposingly, the worst ST movie ever).

And Star Trek is famous for its 3D CGI scenes. Well done to whom created them :)

That would be Star Trek: Insurrection, which was really just one long TNG episode.

In spite of the mind-numbingly sleep inducing nature of the Wing Commander Movie, it never fails to confound me that people thought it was ugly and "st00pid-looking".

I concurr with Murray, it had the best explosions ever, not to mention, some of the more original looking ship designs in film I've ever seen. Not that the hunk-of-junk look is anything new, but I'd take it over any number of the cliched sexy models of the hundreds of other spacefighter universes.

If I recall correctly, Roberts was equally inspired by World War II movies as he was by Star Wars in creating Wing Commander, and I loved how the design acknowledged that: By making the ships of the future look damn ugly and just about ready to crack at the seams.

While they don't look a lot like the WC1 ships, they look like they draw upon a similar inspiration and spirit. The chainguns on wings, and the submarines on space look little like the original designs, but damned if I'll complain. The fact that these ships look far from shiny is a plus in my book.

Sycorax said:
WC Armada has limited multiplayer capability, I can recall having my ass kicked more than once in split-screen mode... so much for WC multiplayer being such a novel idea.

Armada has more than *limited* multiplayer -- Armada was almost *entirely* multiplayer. It was the entire point of the game. The modem and network versions of Armada offered all the 'modern' multiplayer innovations - deathmatch, co-op, capture the flag, arcade mode, etc... and (with Proving Grounds) it did them *really well*. Unfortunately, Armada came out about eighteen months before anyone cared about multiplayer PC games.

I remember Armada. That was the only game that my friend and I played. He always got joystick and I got the keyboard. Of course, I was sneaky and just dumbfired him to death (he was cocky, so sue me).

I call Armada "limited" since there was no player matching service at the time I played it, so I could only go head to head via the split screen, with only one opponent the entire time I played Armada. Plus it kept locking up when I tried a direct serial connection (direct serial...back when computers were just getting out of punch cards for those of you too young to remember) from their multiplayer connection screen.

And no, I haven't played GBA:WCP since all console games and their little portable spin-offs are pitiful excuses of their PC counterparts. LONG LIVE DOOM II MODS!

Well the fact that your personal experience wasn't very in-depth doesn't make the game limited. Player-matching services are pretty lame, anyway, nobody who wants to have real fun uses them.

And don't be so arrogant about portable games. The GBA is a fantastic piece of hardware and Prophecy for GBA is something of a triumph of software design. Not only that, but it's genuinely entertaining.

Try not to be so caught up in appearances. Seek out fun where it can be found. The GBA is like a fun farm.

Frosty said:
And don't be so arrogant about portable games. The GBA is a fantastic piece of hardware and Prophecy for GBA is something of a triumph of software design. Not only that, but it's genuinely entertaining.

Hear, hear! Well said, Frosty :)

Sycorax said:
I call Armada "limited" since there was no player matching service at the time I played it, so I could only go head to head via the split screen, with only one opponent the entire time I played Armada. Plus it kept locking up when I tried a direct serial connection (direct serial...back when computers were just getting out of punch cards for those of you too young to remember) from their multiplayer connection screen.

And no, I haven't played GBA:WCP since all console games and their little portable spin-offs are pitiful excuses of their PC counterparts. LONG LIVE DOOM II MODS!

This one is missing out on Golden Sun, Golden Sun 2, Advance Wars, and many, many fine games.

They're not all PC knockoffs - heck, most are various original or at least console ports.

To be fair, *Armada* isn't at fault because you didn't have any friends. :)

Seriously, though, Armada came out before anyone was serious about the interweb - so it would have been difficult to have "player matching" (though you could always log onto the Origin BBS and find someone).

Back