Here's a sequel idea for WC...

Sylvester said:
But how can Knight die in the movie?

Stranger things have happened. Don't forget that the movie only lasts 2 days or so. Most likely Knight was MIA assumed KIA. That ssumption has been proven wrong by WC1 as it seems. Maniac also was said to be KIA at the end of WC3, wasn't he?

Bandit LOAF said:
There are beta masters out there for Wing 3 that look very nice (not as nice as WC4's film, but much nicer than a camcorder...) -- but the backgrounds and such weren't rendered with a high-res version in mind...

Really? I bet those would be nice to get one's hands on ;)

Sylvester said:
But how can Knight die in the movie?

Why is it so impossible to assume he ejected :confused:

Besides, if Bossman was "killed" and "never existed" just to be miraculously discovered to have been captured by the Kilrathi and subsequently liberated and take part in WC1 + SM1 (and die for real in SM1.5), then Knight ejecting is a serious possibility.

cff said:
Maniac also was said to be KIA at the end of WC3, wasn't he?

I've never read the HotT novel but, from what I've heard/read, it was left pretty ambiguous so any possible continuity in any possible sequel wouldn't get stepped on. Vagabond and Flint also suffered that fate in the novel. Aside from the obviousness of Maniac and Vagabond ultimately surviving, according to the WC4 game script, Flint possibly survived too, as there is dialogue for a holovid from her.

Col.Dom said:
I've never read the HotT novel but, from what I've heard/read, it was left pretty ambiguous so any possible continuity in any possible sequel wouldn't get stepped on. Vagabond and Flint also suffered that fate in the novel. Aside from the obviousness of Maniac and Vagabond ultimately surviving, according to the WC4 game script, Flint possibly survived too, as there is dialogue for a holovid from her.

It's possible, in the game, that Flint can survive the Kilrah mission, by sending her home before she gets killed, but the official storyline is that she died on the Kilrah run, as stated in WC3N.

Maniac is suggested to have survived in WC3N, with an off-hand thought by Blair that he thought he saw Maniac's ejection pod trying for orbit. This obviously was confirmed in WC4, with the WCP guide (IIRC) providing a bit of background on Maniac's post-ejection fate, namely that he was captured by the kats and roughed up some until they realized the war was over.

No, they leave him an out -- Andrew Keith told us some years back that in the original version of the book he explicitly killed all three characters... and that he was asked add in "escape mechanisms" for Vagabond and Maniac.

Yeah, I think it's about time I went to everybody's favorite auction site and procured some Wing Commander novels....

I suggest Amazon.com's used book feature -- much easier and cheaper to pick up the books you need.

Alibris.com also has a lot of rare and out of print books. I got the entire Robotech novel series minus one there for under $100 (that includes shipping and handling for all 20 books).

Thanks for that other tip, Huang :)

Seeing how this thread is about sequel ideas- what's this about a possible new Wing Commander game? I saw it on the news page (and that pic of an amazingly svelt John-Rhys Davies) and couldn't help but be intrigued. Any other word except Chris Roberts throwing the idea about?

My understanding is that EA is the interested party - but they want to sign Chris Roberts on before they do anything.

That's the best Wing Commander new I've heard since the Space Trader and Unknown Enemy mods. I guess I wasn't too excited about the GBA...

Back