Here's a sequel idea for WC...

It's easy to get missled led like that. For most series, the movies and games are different universes. Wing Commander is one of those rare ones where everything fits on the same timeline.

I used to think the movie was sort of an alternate thing, too, but that was more of a denial thing than anything else. While I'm still not a big fan of the movie, I've accepted the events and situations that transpired during it (just reimagined with the ships and fighters and Kilrathi as they're supposed to be :p) as part of the established timeline, because there's really no point in trying to ignore it or deny its existence. Right?

Lionheart said:
(just reimagined with the ships and fighters and Kilrathi as they're supposed to be :p)

Basically, you replaced everything but the main story, right? Well, that would have made it a nice movie indeed :) (Also don't forget to remove the "Sonar in space" scene as well).

Eh, since sarcasm is *rarely* enough here, I went ahead and filled out the Movie Form Letter. :)

Dear Poster,
Hello! I sincerely hope that you are enjoying your time at {INSERT WEBSITE}'s Wing Commander forums, and hope that you will continue to contribute to the myriad of interesting discussions. However, please be aware that your recent posting has necessitated this form letter, as YOUR CRITICISM OF THE WING COMMANDER MOVIE IS MORONIC AND UNINSPIRED.

For your convenience, we have checked off the complaint(s) which you have made regarding the Wing Commander Movie.

|_| IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE WING COMMANDER (1)!

|_| WING COMMANDER IS DAS BOOT IN SPACE!

|_| THE ACTORS ARE EUROPEAN!

|_| THE ACTORS ARE AMERICAN!

|*| THERE IS SOUND IN SPACE!

|_| THE KILRATHI ARE GREEN!

|_| I'VE NEVER HEARD OF PILGRIMS BEFORE!

|_| I JUST PLAIN DON'T LIKE MR. OBUTU!

|_| OTHER:

Mean Comments: {Go watch the freaking 'Sonar Scene' again. There is NO POINT where it even begins to imply what you and dozens of others seem to have taken from it. They watch the Kilrathi destroyer squadron approach on the radar, the destroyer squadron starts to follow the decoy, everyone cheers, Paladin sees that one destroyer is still inbound and goes "Shh!" and points this out. It is VERY VERY CLEAR that the point is 'Don't celebrate, we're *UNDER ATTACK*' and not 'I think the enemy can *HEAR* me in space!'.}

Please note that this is in no way, shape or form an attempt to subvert your right to 'free speech', nor is it an attempt to 'force' an opinion on you. No one has ever been banned for disliking the Wing Commander movie. In fact, you will be very hard pressed to find anyone who believes the movie is a well organized narrative. We are simply all very, very tired of the same childish rants about green cats and Pilgrims. Thank you.

Sincerely,
LOAF

Bandit LOAF said:
Eh, since sarcasm is *rarely* enough here, I went ahead and filled out the Movie Form Letter. :)

Good one LOAF :)

BTW, were the Kilrathi really green? I can't recall. I better "Kazaa" the movie and check it...

No... they're just under weird green-tinted light (presumably to give them the an effect reminiscent of the 'comm images' in WC1/2/3... although it didn't work very well...).

In hindsight, so would everyone. :) (Although I bear no more ill-will towards the rubber green guys in the movie than I do towards the Daggit-looking Melek redo in WC4...)

AdmiralHuang said:
Wow, I would have never drawn a connection with Battlestar Galactica and Wing Commander...

What, you didn't see the Pirate 'Razor-class' fighters from Wing 4 :)? They're pretty... Viperrific.

Yeah, the WC3 Kilrathi were far superior than the Crap Co. Melek in WC4. I always wondered about that.... It probably was a money issue, since a real lot of it was spent on sets, props, dynamic camera stuff and the such.

As far as the movie goes, I rather liked it. It's not a think-piece, it's merely a popcorn flick. Given LOAF's uncanny reasons why and how the movie fits into the continuity is enough for me. Why waste time arguing? It's sort of like arguing the major differences between Macross: DYRL and the Macross television series. When fitting an entire series into a 120 (maybe less) movie, that has to sell to everybody, not just the fans, major changes will be made.

Also, I liked Mr. Obutu. The movie also portrayed Knight's lame flying skills quite accurately and hilariously :D

I specifically liked the CGI graphics of the WC movie. It had one of the best explosion scenes among Sci-Fi movies. I mean the graphics were even better than the Star Trek Generations and the one they shot after Star Trek First Contact (forgot its name but supposingly, the worst ST movie ever).

And Star Trek is famous for its 3D CGI scenes. Well done to whom created them :)

Ugh - one of the commentaries on the ST3 DVD points out that the Excelsior bridge is just a simple mockup... and sure enough, if you look down at the floor during the Excelsior scenes there's a flat concrete floor. I haven't been able to enjoy the movie since then -- I have no idea why. :)

WC3-Melek was dropped because the 'puppet' Kilrathi looked awful on film (versus highly compressed tape recordings from WC3)... especially when interacting with 'real' people, as the script called for.

Bandit LOAF said:
Ugh - one of the commentaries on the ST3 DVD points out that the Excelsior bridge is just a simple mockup... and sure enough, if you look down at the floor during the Excelsior scenes there's a flat concrete floor. I haven't been able to enjoy the movie since then -- I have no idea why. :)

WC3-Melek was dropped because the 'puppet' Kilrathi looked awful on film (versus highly compressed tape recordings from WC3)... especially when interacting with 'real' people, as the script called for.

Yeah, the Excelsior bridge sucked. It was far too bland for the "ship of the future."

The exterior ship FX are awesome, though. Personally, I prefer scale models over CG....

That's a shame about WC3 Melek. The Kilrathi looked so good and menacing in WC3. I guess crappy video quality worked in their favor. Especially when considering that it didn't look too goofy when Thrakhath guts Angel/Blair. Ah well.

The worst part is never being able to get a high-quality, DVD tranfser of WC3's FMV. It'd just look like green-screened camcorder shots :(

There are beta masters out there for Wing 3 that look very nice (not as nice as WC4's film, but much nicer than a camcorder...) -- but the backgrounds and such weren't rendered with a high-res version in mind...

Back