help

sax78

Spaceman
its a dos version and i have windows 98. i cannot get dos to recognize my cdrom. i hope that someone can help

Which game? Also go ahead and post your config.sys, autoexec.bat, and maybe even your dosstart.bat. Stinger will likely be able to come up with what you need so you can run it from DOS, whatever it is.
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
its privateer 2. ok here is config autoexec and dosstart

config
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE

Autoexec

@IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T2
SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WINDOWS
SET MSINPUT=C:\MSINPUT

dosstart

C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\CTSND\DOSDRV\APINIT
REM DOS MOUSE DRIVER ADDED BY MICROSOFT INTELLIPOINT MOUSE SETUP
C:\MSINPUT\MOUSE\mouse.exe

ok new problem, when i try to set my music, i get to the manual and autodetect screen and the screen goes black, the whole comp is frozen, oh god i wanna play privateer. its been soooo long.

Well, I reckon that your problem is the lack of CD-ROM drivers
biggrin.gif

I don't know much about this, but I think Stinger (he only shows up every couple of days) will need to know more about your CD-ROM. Manufacturer, model, that sort of thing.

BTW, doesn't P2 work in Windows?

its the dos version so it doesnt work in windows. I got the cdrom drivers for dos and installed and they work. i get to the install menu and when i try to choose my music card the screen goes black and the comp locks. It lets me pick and configure my digital audio though. just that music card when i got the the auto configure or manual spot. in manual configure it locks at the irq setting

I'm no expert in this but here's an idea:

Is your IRQ 5 already in use by some other device? If not you could use that one for your sound card.
Either use the appropriate setup utility that came with your sound card or change the I7 setting of the SET BLASTER=... statement in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file to I5 manually. I had some sound problems, too, when let WINDOWS handle the setup of my card.
Let's see if this is of any use to you
smile.gif

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

[This message has been edited by Nighthawk (edited September 04, 2000).]

Here are the sound card settings you should be using:

Sound Blaster / SB Pro
I/O: 220
IRQ: 7
DMA: 1

How are you getting to DOS? If you are using a boot disk, make sure that that first line from your DOSSTART.BAT is in your boot disk's AUTOEXEC.BAT; otherwise, your sound card won't be working.

Back