Help with Mission 1

rlbumich

Spaceman
Hi all

I am trying to get through the first mission and I am stuck! I lunch from the Duantless and dispatch the enemy; go to the second nav and get message from the Duantless that sensors detect enemy at new nav points. How do I get to the new nav points once I dispatch enemy?

Ctrl + N will display your Nav Map. Once there, you can right-click the Nav Point of your choice or navigate them via the N and P keys.

Yes,and from there you got 2 options,as the comm says.Go after Gratha or go after Vactoths.Choose your destiny ;)

Beware that you will only be able to find and capture the Fralthi if you choose the [static], however.

Lots of people ,play now UE for the first time,so we should just help em witout reveal anything from the story/fiction/passwords etc..

Originally posted by Ijuin
Beware that you will only be able to find and capture the Fralthi if you choose the [static], however.

Humm! Whats "static"?

Thanks for help. BTW that right clicking is very tricky!

Never you mind, you'll want to try both paths eventually tho :)
Infact mission 5b is probably my favourite mission, personally I thought it looked even cooler when the avenger shuttle crashed straight into your camera but that changed slightly when we got that ever so cool Bengal from Eder.

Nice side-effect if you cheat on that mission: dunno if it's deliberate or not, but if you CBF to destroy the Fralthi turrets "properly" at 4am and just use Invuln *cough* :p then once the Marines take over all the BW ships turn red as well and the mission is auto-failed (not that it matters, since you can't leave the area, and shooting them down gets you traitored).

Heh. k - here's what happened: found the Fralthi, realised that I suck after not playing WC in ages, and decided to just Invuln my way through the turrets. (Yeah, I'm lazy). The LC docked, the marines took over the Fralthi, and suddenly ALL the ships turned red. You can't autopilot while there are active enemy, and you can't kill BW ships even if they've turned on you, so the mission can't be completed.

Obviously it's a bug, but I figured it might have been a cute trick. :)

On UE in general: I really am horribly rusty (man... I use to assrape Fralthi back in the WC2 days. I got old somewhere along the way. :/ ) but I agree with the concept of having the game be "coherent", i.e. your ships are pieces of shit; you're always genuinely outclassed rather than simply outnumbered but in a godship like WCP, etc.

That said, I've already developed quite a dislike for this mission: it's tedious to have to replay, and it seems to be buggy as fuck into the bargain. In the Scim, *even if you have all the Vaktoth killed before the message even ends*, the Fralthi isn't reachable: you get the 2nd Vaktoth wave halfway instead. Since some people have managed to get there in the Scim I guess it's an intermittent problem, but it's pretty damn annoying. After the third time you get shafted by that, you just lose interest. (Before finding this forum, I'd assumed that the Fralthi simply doesn't turn up if you pick the Scim).
Hard = good. Defective = not good. :/

Not blaming you for it: UE's an impressive undertaking made all the more so by the hassles involved in having to create it by hacking the binaries, and Origin's own QA has always been shoddy at best (remember killing Thrakath THREE TIMES anyone?), but having to deal with problems like this so early on (especially in what's an end-affecting mission ffs) is definitely going to turn a few people off.

Still, sod it. :p I fully intend to enjoy the game as much possible, and congrats on getting it done.
Cheers.

Had 10 mins to kill so I just tried it again in the Scim - same deal. I was on full AB at 3:44, roughly 90K away (annoying how you don't get the nav indicator to aim towards, but that's life I guess) leaving one-and-a-bit Vaktoth for the wingmen who finished them off easily.

Quarto: you remember what the times are it SHOULD still work? Is it off the mission timer, or from the time of the message?

I have never had this problem. I just tried it with invuln, and it didn't happen. Also - listen to what the message says - "Ignore those Vaktoths". Yes a second wave appears before you reach the Fralthi. No, you shouldn't break off of your path towards the Fralthi to engage them. Let you Wingmen handle it. Keep on teh AB, and just head for the Fralthi.

As for BW ships turning red - I've never seen that... I don't know what could be causing it.

Oh, and the nav indicator - press N, and it shows up. Because your in a battle, it isn't automatically there. It's been like that in all the WC games. And, in all the WC games, if you press N, it overrides that default, and appears.

> Also - listen to what the message says - "Ignore those Vaktoths". Yes a second wave appears before you reach the Fralthi. No, you shouldn't break off of your path towards the Fralthi to engage them.

Doesn't matter. That's kinda what I'm getting at: you AB through the 2nd wave of Vaktoth and it makes no difference - there IS no Fralthi regardless. This is in marked constrast to doing the mission in the Epee, where the Fralthi and Vaktoth appear at the same time, for all that the cruiser is beyond them.

> As for BW ships turning red - I've never seen that... I don't know what could be causing it.

It's the standard behaviour of the game switching to the "traitors never win" scenario. But it's happening in response to a successful LC dock rather than me taking out a friendly craft.

> Oh, and the nav indicator - press N, and it shows up.

Not quite: the nav point name and distance show up, but not the cross.

At this stage, I'm planning on reinstalling, cos it's clearly munted. :/

Do you head right for the Fralthi? or do you spend time destroying the first wave before going?

I know BW ships turn red b/c of traitor, I'm just saying I've never seen it happen because of an LC... that shouldn't be. It hasn't happened to me in these circumstances.

The cross shows up for me when I press N too... I don't know whats up with this... I'd try reinstalling like you said. But Reinstall SO too... the cross thing shouldn't have anythign to do with UE... that would probalby be in the SO programming.. I'm not positive on that though.

I'm no expert. Really all I can say it "works for me". Which is always the case with bugs. Anyone have any ideas?

> Do you head right for the Fralthi? or do you spend time destroying the first wave before going?

Oh - thought I'd mentioned that. On one occasion, I'd ALREADY destroyed the first wave before the message finished (a rookie run in a desperate attempt to see if the mission COULD actually be completed in the Scim), more generally I'll kill or at least strip one and leave them for the wingmen, switching to the new NAV and heading off while the message is still babbling.
Still appears to be impossible to not get the "too late" behaviour in the Scim no matter what.

Just to clarify something I said earlier: I may be rusty these days, but I was extremely good at WC back in the day, and I'm talking about from the original on, not WCP. (Actually, I was the first recorded recipient of the "Platinum Planet" award. :p)
It's not that I don't understand the concept behind the mission and how it's supposed to work: it's that it simply DOESN'T. :/

I really appreciate the effort though. Thanks a lot for that.

I'm off to reinstall - hopefully I'll have better news in an hour or so. :D

Hmm, glad to see it was only an install problem... those were some mighty weird bugs you had there :p.

Tell me about it. :p

The only diff between the two is that I had the hires patch for SO in the original install, but that seems just as odd...
Still, sorted now and that's all that matters.

It was there all 4 times *cough* I flew the mission. Finished it with 99% damage :p - my ability to fly INTO shots rather than have them just miss seems to have improved greatly in the idle years. :/
I REALLY need to get my dogfighting skills back up to snuff fast...

Back