Help with error: enemy.srs

Ranita

Spaceman
Hi, I installed UE. I set the compatibility options of my Windows XP to the 2000, 98/Me, or 95 versions, but I always get the following message:

Iff:: Iff open file 'mission \enemy.srs' not found and not optional.

The UE webiste's troubleshooting is not of much help: it asks to install in the same directory as 'Secret Ops' (which I've done) and that no files will be overwritten (actually, while I install I get a request on whether to overwrite a file or not. I've done both things, and neither works).

Can anyone help me with this? Many thanks

It appears that the game is having trouble finding one (or all) of the .tre files. If you've placed the files in the correct place, then I'm afraid I have no idea what the reason for this could be. It does, however, have something to do with the location of the .tre files.

I made a backup directory of the Secret Ops directory and installed Unknown Enemy there. Should I install UE in the original Secret Ops directory?

What should I do when the install program asks me to overwrite files? In the FAQ it says that this shouldn't happen.

Ranita said:
I made a backup directory of the Secret Ops directory and installed Unknown Enemy there. Should I install UE in the original Secret Ops directory?

YES.

Ranita said:
What should I do when the install program asks me to overwrite files? In the FAQ it says that this shouldn't happen.

Allow it. I don't recall what file gets changed, but IIRC at some fairly late point in development one was deemed necessary. The new file is just an updated version of the original. The original Secret Ops should work just fine with that modified file as well. If you fear for your SO the I suggest to use the opposite of what you did however - make a backup of SO and install UE into the original

UE does indeed replace one of the original files. I don't remember its name, but it's one of those GL_something.DLL files. The original game is not at all bothered by this replacement. One thing to keep in mind, however, is that UE will presumably delete this file when you uninstall UE, in which case the original game probably will stop working... but it's not like it takes more than three minutes to uninstall and reinstall SO anyway :p.

Back