Help needed with Privateer and getting a joystick to work.

Alyeska

Spaceman
Ok, I just loaded up Privateer again (lots of fond memories) but I came across an unexpected and unpleasant problem. My new joystick won't work with it along with my new digital mouse. Well I know why and I can partly avoid the problem. I still have my old Flight Stick from around the days X-wing first came out and I plugged it back into my computer. Well my computer doesn't recognize my old joystick for some odd reason. Is there any special thing I have to do to get it working with DOS so I can play Privateer with it? Help would be greatly apreciated.

Sorta. I have used this joystick on this computer before in XWA when my newer joystick broke so I know it works. But I have no software for it at all and I don't recall having any for it.

Would it be a good idea to find another DOS compatible joystick with drives?

Try adding a joystick port setting to the end of your sound card setting in the autoexec.bat.
Example:
"J201"
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6 J201

I am having the same problem, is there someway to find out what the joystick port is so it can be entered into the autoexec.bat???

Originally posted by Johnl12
Try adding a joystick port setting to the end of your sound card setting in the autoexec.bat.
Example:
"J201"
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6 J201

Yes.

In Windows, go to Device Manager and look under "Sound, video, and game controllers" for something with the word "gameport" in it. Double-click on that entry, and hit the Resources tab. The number you're looking for is the one listed as "Input/Output Range". Hopefully, it'll be the same for your DOS setup.

Thanks. So I just add J and then that number into my autoexec.bat settings?

Originally posted by Stinger
Yes.

In Windows, go to Device Manager and look under "Sound, video, and game controllers" for something with the word "gameport" in it. Double-click on that entry, and hit the Resources tab. The number you're looking for is the one listed as "Input/Output Range". Hopefully, it'll be the same for your DOS setup.

I'm sure I know the sad answer to this question, but there doesn't happen to be a way to get Microsoft Sidewinder USB joysticks to work in DOS, is there? I'm sure there isn't, which is unfortunate, as my old Thrustmaster does not work properly anymore.

Buy a cheapie jstick or go on ebay and find a MS sidewinder 3d pro, which will work in dos, uses standard game port.

RFB

Back