Help!! I'm stupid... (WC2)

Soma

Spaceman
I for the life of me can't get enough mem to run wc2(in dos or windows). I tried making a boot disk an it doesn't work...Can someone help? Here's what on my boot...

-CONFIG.SYS-
DOS=HIGH,UMB
buffershigh=10
fcbshigh=4
fileshigh=30
lastdrivehigh=Z
stackshigh=9,256
Device=C:\WINDOWS\Himem.Sys /testmem : off
Device=C:\WINDOWS\Emm386.exe RAM
DEVICE=c:\cdrom\OakCdRom.SYS /D:IDECD000

-AUTOEXEC.BAT-
LH c:\windows\command\mscdex /D:IDECD000 /L:M
set mouse=c:\imouse
c:\imouse\imouse
SET PROMPT=$p$g
SET TEMP=C:\windows\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\windows\TEMP
c:
cd \windows\system
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
RIPUTIL /A220 /I5 /D1 /RI10 /unmute
cd \windows

Any help is greatly appreciated
smile.gif

------------------
Do not go silently into the goodnight...

[This message has been edited by Soma (edited October 20, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
CONFIG.SYS-
DOS=HIGH,UMB
buffershigh=10
fcbshigh=4
fileshigh=30
lastdrivehigh=Z
stackshigh=9,256
Device=C:\WINDOWS\Himem.Sys /testmem : off
Device=C:\WINDOWS\Emm386.exe RAM
DEVICEHIGH=c:\cdrom\OakCdRom.SYS /D:IDECD000

-AUTOEXEC.BAT-
LOADHIGH c:\windows\command\mscdex /D:IDECD000 /L:M
set mouse=c:\imouse
LOADHIGH c:\imouse\imouse
SET PROMPT=$p$g
c:
cd \windows\system
cd \windows

Try this System-Config, if you haven't enough Memory, delete the Mouse:
REM LOADHIGH c:\imouse\imouse

I hope, your probs are solved!

Watch your back,
Felidae!

[This message has been edited by Felidae (edited October 20, 2000).]

Hey F & SW,
OK I tried your advice and rewrote my config and autoexec, I still get a "not enough mem" error when I try to run the game from M:\ (that being my cd drive, oh btw this is wc2 deluxe) but when I run it from M:\wing2 It'll run but with no sound, when I try to run winstall it says something about a IRQ conflict, does that have to do with my "set blaster" line and my "Riputil" line?

------------------

If you want, copying the entire m:\wing2 dir to a wing2 dir on your hard drive, and play it completely off your HD, make sure the Gamedat dir inside the wing2 dir is there and has all the files in it. And then just run winstall from the HD and you should be fine. This way you can take the dos cd drivers out of your autoexec and config and free up some additional mem.
This is my config.sys file and Autoexec with it i get about 616k of Conventional Mem.
--------Config.sys--------
DOS=HIGH,UMB,NOAUTO
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384 /I=B000-B7FF
BUFFERSHIGH=25
FILESHIGH=25
devicehigh=c:\cd-rom\d011v110.sys /d:mscd000 /n:1
----------Autoexec.bat-----------
@ECHO OFF
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
LH C:\WINDOWS\AU30DOS.COM
LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\mscdex.exe /d:mscd000 /m:18
LH C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\MOUSE\MOUSE.EXE

The au30dos.com is my Aureal Sound Card dos driver so you should replace that with your sound card one. And the bottom Autoexec line is for my microsoft optical mouse so you should replace that with wherever your mouse driver is.

Well guys... If you play WC2 completely from your HD, it is not necessary to use CD-ROM and, consequently, you may delete CD-ROM drivers from CONFIG.SYS (c:\cd-rom\d011v110.sys) and from Autoexec.bat (C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\mscdex.exe).

Ugh, Let's see... I've got so I can run WC2 off of the cd in dos (with my boot disk), I've got the sound and speech to work however the game runs too fast. I've tried moslo and it wont load the game. I was trying to install to the HD so moslo would work but using the winstall command results in an error not being able to copy and even when I copy the \wing2 file to the HD and install from there it will only let me choose my a: drive...HHELP!!!

MSCDEX and your mouse driver take up a lot of conventional memory... you might have to do without one to get enough memory in DOS.

Also, if you delete the following lines, you probably won't notice any change in performance in DOS:

buffershigh=10
fcbshigh=4
fileshigh=30
lastdrivehigh=Z
stackshigh=9,256

You don't really need that stuff... but the major hogs of conventional memory in DOS is the mouse and CD ROM drivers. I play WC2 off my hard drive because I like using the mouse instead of the keyboard. But what you could do, is just enable the CD ROM during installation. Then, play without the mouse if the game runs from the CD ROM.

------------------

§

Thanx everybody!!
smile.gif
I got it to run off my boot from the cd w/ all EMS options which is enough for me. Still can't get the install proggies to work (in DOS or Windows) though... Oh, btw is there anyway to slow down the cutscenes and whatnot with out changing the actual game speed?

I'm pretty sure there is no such program. However, the writing in the cutscenes should stay on the screen long enough for you to read it, just the animation moves too fast. You'll get used to it after a while.

Actually, the game speed is frame limited in code, although the cut scenes for some reason are not. So, you should be able to use Mo'Slo without it affecting spaceflight.

Hi Soma!
For your Sound-Problems:
You must Install the DOS-Drivers for your Sound-Card, for example SBINIT, placed in the sbpci-directory, this little program initialized the Soundblaster, and now WC2 noticed your SB-Card, I had the same Problem!

Watch your back,
Felidae!

[This message has been edited by Felidae (edited October 21, 2000).]

Can someone please, please tell me where my dos drivers might be on my computer for my sound card? I cannot find them (though I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for). They're not in any autoexec fiels I've seen so far... I'm running Win 98. All I've been seemign to find is win drivers The following line is the only reference to to a soundcard:
frown.gif

Oh yeah, the problem is I get sound but it's kind of wierd (It worked on my older computer that's how I know it's not right) and the speech will start when the game starts but cuts off about a second later, everytime I start a mission same thing happens...

cd \windows\system
cd \windows

------------------

[This message has been edited by Soma (edited November 01, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Soma (edited November 01, 2000).]

Sounds like an IRQ problem to me.

Those look like the init lines you need, so that's probably not the problem. Re-run the installer and be sure to choose IRQ 5 for your card.

Yeah after futzing around with the IRQ somehow I got it to work (even though the IRQ that works was the one that didn't work but now it does, go figure). Thanx man
smile.gif

try using your original install setup and running memmaker, watch as you memory problems dissapear, good luck

Back