Hellcat = Piece of Junk

I hated the mission in which you had to fight Bhurak "Starkiller" in a Scimitar (Wc1). Her guns were cool tha's true but she was too slow for my taste. And as she ws the only fighter to be retired during a game, I guess the programmers thought too that she was too bad. ;)

And I agree, the Dragon is the most super super-ship. Fast, maneuvrable, heavily armed and incrdible protection.
The Bearcat was close to her (incredibly fast, good armour and shields and good guns) but the positioning of the guns made her virtually useless.

I wouldnt say it was because the programmers thought it was a bad fighter, jsut that they had the new Rapier which *seemingly* was a better fighter. And it kept with the storyline of the Rapier being a new fighter introduced to replace the Scimitar. Thats why i think it was slow in the first place. So it would seem like a better trade. But it wasnt. :) I can see a problem with Starkiller mainly cause he was in a Salthi, but its pretty much the same problems you would have in a Raptor.

Even after both times playing WC4 i have managed to never get the Bearcat. I dont understand what the gun placement problem seems to be.

Maybe you are right. But I would prefer a Rapier to a Scimitar anytime. But she evoked nostalgic feelings in me (the Scimitar) and I was almost sad when Halycon announced her removal... but only almost. ;) Ans as you kill a Salthi with one salvo from the Raptor I think I would have prefered her and because she was faster.

The guns on the Bearcat are spread out to the very edge of each wing. Even with the auto-tracking it is very hard to hit with all four lt. tachyon guns.

Hmmm, by all accounts, the Scimitar is the worst fighter next to the Hornet, but actually playing the game, I loved flying a Scim over a Rapier anyday of the week. THe Raptor i didnt really mind.

Well, then it is a pity for you that you fly more missions in the Rapier. :)
Why does anyone hate the Hornet? I liked it. She was the first fighter I got to fly after all... the first love is always something special, just as I like the Tiger's Claw best as Carrier, I guess.
BTW the Raptor was my favourite WC1 fighter (until you get to fly that Dralthi in SM2)

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 03-20-2001 at 15:58]

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
The guns on the Bearcat are spread out to the very edge of each wing. Even with the auto-tracking it is very hard to hit with all four lt. tachyon guns.
Except at long range, which is of course completely contrary to typical "ace" mentality, which dictates getting in close.

Top 10 Fighters of the WCU (chronologically):

Raptor
Hhriss
Centurion
Thunderbolt VII
Excalibur (WCIII variant)
Vaktoth
Vindicator
Panther
Vampire
Black Wasp

(You'll note that I tend to favor heavier fighters.)

Bottom 5:

Dralthi
Phantom
Crossbow
Longbow (WCIV variant)
Lamprey

Notable Omissions from either list:

Saber - thin shielding, but solid otherwise, and afterburners made torp attacks more...enjoyable
Dragon - great fighter, but made the game too easy
Piranha - I love this fighter, but not enough for Top 10. The Stormfire Mk.2 freakin' rocks!

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt

Why does anyone hate the Hornet? I liked it.
BTW the Raptor was my favourite WC1 fighter (until you get to fly that Dralthi in SM2)

The Hornet. Weak shields, weak armor, weak guns, crappy missle loadout. Liked the Scim, the Dralthi was alright. I agree the Raptor was the best fighter by far. The Scim and the Raptor could both take a beating. That was one thing I loved about WC1, you could come back with all the armor gone, most of the systems destroyed, and all but one gun gone. There was just something cool about survivng a mission like that. It might take a few minutes to get the comm system to communicate with the Claw, but it was fun to see the crew chief response.

Yes, it sure created atmosphere. I found it way more interesting to lose one component after one, instead of the way we experience damage in WC3+.

Okay, my turn
(I'm not including Armada, the Privateer series, or WCP, 'cause I haven't played them yet):

1. Dragon (Black Lance)
2. Vindicator
3. Excalibur
4. Avenger
5. Broadsword
6. Raptor
7. Rapier
8. Thunderbolt
9. Sabre
10. Hornet

It is true, as Phoenix said, that the Dragon made the game too easy, but... can't deny it's an hell of a fighter!!!! ;)

I am not one for medium fighters, I like mine either heavy or light, for the most part.

BEST: (not including Armada, Privateer 2, or Prophecy)

1. Excalibur
2. Ferret
3. Hhriss
4. Morningstar
5. Retro (Kilrathi) fighter that is unknown in RF
6. Centurion
7. Scimitar
8. Thunderbolt (WC3)
9. Sorthak (something appealed to me about the size of it)
10. Broadsword

Honorable mention: Raptor

WORST:

1. Rapier (WC2)
2. Razor
3. Epee
4. Sabre
5. Orion (what was the point?)

Honorable mention: Crossbow

There is my two cents.

Am I the only person who finds it odd, that one day everyone whines about how wcIV was just to damn hard and the next, it's to easy because of the overly good fighters :confused: ?

Originally posted by Zor Prime
Personnally, I Like the hellcat. Maybe cause I know how to fly it. Not that I'm trying to imply anything or something.....:)

Of course not. ;)

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Sonntag

I certainly miss it. It was soo fast and had missiles which mad it clearly superior to the Ferret. Especially the afterburners had power when compared to a Hellcat of WC3 (sometimes they were even too powerful...)
But why is it called widowmaker???

Because if it took a single burst, your widow would be getting a nice letter from Confed. :)

Best, Raptor

My top ten five, in order of preferance:

1) Excalibur: Good looking, smart, fast and responsive. Heck, if she was a girl I'd marry her. :D

2) Raptor: Sentimental favorite,becuase it was the first fighter in WC that really blew me away. (So much so that I've been using Raptor as my callsign for the last decade.)

3) Vampire: Fast, very heavily armed and well shielded. A brute of a fighter, but it suits my style of going all out at the enemy.

4) Thunderbolt: big fricking guns that anhiliate anything in the game, nice shields, and a torpedo for giving enemy capships a *really* bad day.

5) Vindicator: Can handle any job that its asked to do, from capship assault to ground attack to interception. Those three torps give it awesome punch against capships, and the tachyons and stormfires are good fighter killers.

Worst Five, in order from best to worst:

1) Shrike. Not enough of a bomber for WC:p (too few torps and no plasma gun) and not enough of a dogfighter either.

2) Hellcat: classic jack of all trades and master of none. No torps to take capships, not enough firepower to blast through fighters, and not enough speed and gaility to dance with them.

3) Crossbow: Doesn't have turrets like a Broadsword, doesn't have a ton of missiles like the Longbow, and doesn't have the agility or afterburners of the Sabre. A bomber trying to masquerade as a heavy fighter, and failing miserably.

4) Hornet: Weak guns, only a couple of missiles, thin shields and armour.

5) Epee: I'm *really* not surprised Angel pulled Blair from flying an attack mission on this one. The shields are paper thin, and the guns run out of power too fast.

Best, Raptor

1) Gothri: Armored, maneuverable and carries *six* torpedoes -- what the Sabre should be!
2) Hhriss: The first Kilrathi fighter to equal its Confederate counterparts.
3) Sorthak: Not *that* great in the game... but it's the best there is in the CCG!
4) Vaktoth: A good, tough heavy fighter.
5) Devil Rays: Devil Ray's are beautiful.

Back