Hellcat = Piece of Junk

All right you guys, back on topic..

This is what the upside-down threads do. Make the pages 25 posts long and turn the threads back right-side up and I guarantee more threads will stay on-topic. :)

Hellcat, a piece of junk ? Ok, i think it's not the best fighter around, but it's anything exept a piece of junk. As long as she does what i want, the bucket of bolts is ok.

True, the Hellcat wasn't a "widow maker" in the same sense that the Epee was. I guess what always had against the Hellcat was that it had no one strength that made it fun to fly.

Best, Raptor

Oh, I dunno. The fact that it WASN'T particularly strong in any one role was somewhat of a challenge. THAT alone makes it fun for me. :)

I found the Hellcat to be quite a capable light fighter. I liked it much more than the Arrow. It is NO WAY NEAR the class of the well known widow-maker, the Epee.

I found the manoueverability to be quite nice, got me out of a few spots. Whilst shieldingcould have been stronger, if you were good enough, the Hellcat took care of you!

An excellent patrol fighter.

Personnally, I Like the hellcat. Maybe cause I know how to fly it. Not that I'm trying to imply anything or something.....:)

Originally posted by redwolf
I found the Hellcat to be quite a capable light fighter. I liked it much more than the Arrow. It is NO WAY NEAR the class of the well known widow-maker, the Epee.

I found the manoueverability to be quite nice, got me out of a few spots. Whilst shieldingcould have been stronger, if you were good enough, the Hellcat took care of you!

An excellent patrol fighter.

I hate the Hellcat, as it is so Boring!!! I would like to fly funny aircraft as fx the Wasp, Rapier (WC1, not in WC2), Excalibur, Thunderbolt and so on which really have skill (or the Dragon but that's another story). My alltime favourite is the Mace equipped Morningstar, however... Great missile.

Actually, I really liked the Epee when playing WC2, but maybe I am a bit alone here...

Originally posted by Zor Prime
Hey!! I liked the Epee too! It was a blast to fly!
I certainly miss it. It was soo fast and had missiles which mad it clearly superior to the Ferret. Especially the afterburners had power when compared to a Hellcat of WC3 (sometimes they were even too powerful...)
But why is it called widowmaker???

On paper, the Epee looks allright -- certainly nicer than a Ferret... in practice, however, she doesn't cut it because her incredibly light shields don't recharge quickly like those on the Ferret do...

(Epee's have neat cockpits, though)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
On paper, the Epee looks allright -- certainly nicer than a Ferret... in practice, however, she doesn't cut it because her incredibly light shields don't recharge quickly like those on the Ferret do...

(Epee's have neat cockpits, though)

It's been quite some time since I tried WC2 for the last time, but I found the Fighters very well balanced in the game, and you could certainly see that there went 10 years in between WC 1 and 2 when looking at the Rapier (Great in Wing 1, not quite so great in Wing 2)... I think the Epee is great in avoiding hits when being flow agressively.
Well I hate the Ferret, it is the third worst fighter I know (the worst is the Hornet, followed by the Piranja). On the other hand, the Super Ferret is ok.

So here is my "worst 10 List":

1. Hornet
2. Piranha
3. Ferret
4. Hellcat
5. Scimitar
6. Rapier (WC 2)
7. Broadsword (WC 2)
8. Crossbow
9. Arrow (never liked this one, as well)
10. Shrike (So much inferior to the Devastator)

And this is my Top 10:

1. Morningstar
2. Lance (Dragon)
3. Excalibur
4. Vampire
5. Raptor
6. Thunderbolt
7. Wasp
8. Epee
9. Panther
10. Tigershark (yes even though this is a Hellcat derivative, as it has the rechargeble Particle Gun)

Of course, we have to consider the Fighters compared to the time in which they were used, a Raptor wouldn't be very interesting in WC Prophecy (but maybe still better than a Piranha)...

Hum replace piranha,scimitar,and shrike with super ferret, banshee and centurion and in no priticular order you have my top 10 best fighters or close to it :) .

[Edited by Dekkar on 03-20-2001 at 14:27]

I've gotta disagree with that list. I mean, the Ferret and the Rapier on the 10 worst? I don't think so. So I figured I'd post my own.

5 Worst:

1 - Scimitar (goddamn I hated these things)
2 - Panther
3 - Longbow (the only good thing was the loads of missiles)
4 - Epee
5 - Hornet

5 Best:

1 - Excal
2 - Lance
3 - Banshee, Border Worlds style
4 - Rapier
5 - Vampire

Lets face it: Scimitars are to WC as Y-Wings are to Star Wars. They older pieces of crap that were replaced but are still useful. A Scim is poorly armed, slow, and lame. A Raptor is better in every respect. A Rapier is better in every respect. They suck. Panthers I just don't like. They have their merits, but they rub me the wrong way. I don't like Longbows, either. They serve a purpose and they serve a purpose well, but you need to have too many other fighters out to protect them (in the real world, let's say, any of us as pilots do fine because we're supposed to be better). The Epee, as LOAF said, is paper thin. I'm surprised they can withstand the vacuum of space. And Hornets are just weak. Love the speed, tho.

An Excal is perfect in so many ways, I won't get in to it. The Lance is close to it, and may be in a tie for first because of that cloak. Banshees just rock, IMO. Rapiers are strong all around, speed, guns, etc. And the Vampire is like a later version of those. This list is almost an evolution of the Rapier. The Rapier was best, then the Excal was best, then the Vampire was best (for space superiority). The Excal had a sort of light equivalent in the Banshee and a heavier equivalent in the Lance.

Originally posted by OriginalPhoenix
Oh, I dunno. The fact that it WASN'T particularly strong in any one role was somewhat of a challenge. THAT alone makes it fun for me. :)
Exactly. As it was the weakest of the Terran ships (IMO, of course) it came nearest to the weak Kilrathi fighters and so the side were, well not balanced, but not as unbalanced as with the other fighters.

Funny thing, I found the Hornet the most balanced Light fighter in any WC game (not too good, but not too bad that it would be inferior to heavy ships). It had decent speed and maneuvrability and was surprisingly well-armed in terms of missiles. And I did like the Epee for the same reason: It was fast and had strong weapons. The particle cannons in WC2 are really great. I also liked the Rapier in WC2 very much: First, it has that nostalgic touch and then it was fast and heavily armed with acceptable shields, low armour though.

5 Worst:
1 - A-18 Crossbow: We traded our side turrets for *this*?
2 - F-57 Saber: Low shield/armor made her wrong for strike missions.
3 - F-104 Bearcat: Wonderfully maneuverable, amazingly fast... so what's with the gun positioning?
4 - Danrik: Less effective and more expensive than a Freijj II... what's the point?
5 - F-86 Hellcat V: If fighters came in flavors, the Hellcat would be vanilla.

5 Best:
1 - P-64 Ferret: Maneuverability means she can tumble with the best of them -- high recharge rates means she can fire her heavy-hitting mass drivers almost indefinately... and her shields can survive inside the flak-umbrella of a capship! Bonus Heat-Seekers in the D-model!
2 - Wraith: Her pair of leech missiles makes the outcome of Armada deathmatches a foregone conclusion.
3 - F-66 Thunderbolt VII: She just *looks* like a fighter should.
4 - A-17 Broadsword: Certainly not the best bomber or the most fun ship to fly... but the most accurate representation of a WW2 strategic bomber in space!
5 - Vindicator: The gutsy little ship that does it all -- unfortunately, not given much of a chance to shine in WCIV.

I agree with LOAF in most terms(especially in case of the Danrik and Bearcat) but in some points I have task you why: The Crossbow had decent speed, incredible front firepower (though slow firing) and almost inpenetrable shields and armour! I found her surely a better bomber than the Broadsword (even too good). And the Sabre had great guns and missiles! But I agree that her shields were a bit weak but as a heavy fighter she rocked.

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 03-20-2001 at 15:03]

My problem with the Crossbow was that she traded the Broadsword's side turrets (which I found I often used -- far more than in any other games) for such a limited gain... and her forward guns are too overloaded for my tastes -- they may do more damage than the Broadsword's triple-drivers, but they take longer to load and longer to charge... when I'm flying a bomber, I don't get many chances to hit an enemy fighter -- so I want to make sure I'm capable of firing my guns when I do (G)

Oh, and one clunker I forgot: the Phantom, from Armada... now *that* was a lame fighter!

The Phantom was the worst Confed fighter ever! Weak weaponry and shields and very low visibility (I know you could switc off the cockpits but the Phantom was the only one where I NEEDED to do it. In the other fighters I kept the cockpits because they looked very nice.
I agree that the turret guns in WC2 really rocked but you could kill the smaller Kilrathi ships with one salvo from the Crossbow's guns and the heavy Kilrathi fighters were so slow that you could bust them without any problem. Okay, fighting a Gothri (with her damn fast recharging shields) were difficult to kill in a Crossbow.

Its hard to distinguish between which fighters were good and which were just able to crush the enemy, which would mean the Excalibur, Lance and Vampire would automatically make the list. Every one of those ships could kill almost any fighter with a single volley. Only the Vampire did you actually have to aim. (hehe, we're so spoiled) I guess the Lance comes closest to being a super ship with cloak and infinite afterburners.

One ship i can be sure of that would make any best list of mine IS the Scimitar. Despite what they claimed, i had no problem manuvering with it. It had great armor, i never took more than a few dents unlike the Rapier. It had less than the Raptor but was more manueveable. Really, unless it was a bomber, i never have problems manuvering with any fighter. I would take it against any fighter in WC1. I find neutron guns useless when i have a mass driver. Takes less energy, does almost as much damage, fires faster and farther. The Rapier was crap for weapons. A pitiful laser that wasnt any good against heavier fighers, and a nuetron gun which i already explained.

And the Scimitar looks pretty cool too.

Out of em all, the DRAGON is still my choice, next to the Vamp. But I wouldnt hesitate to update a Centurion with better shields and armor, plus the gun and missle loadout of the Excalibur on it! (I know Im crazy!) :D

RFBurns

Back