Hellcat = Piece of Junk

Yeah, but blowing away Hellcat after Hellcat after Hellcat loses a little of its challenge after a while. On-one could even touch you in a Lance. What I liked about the Excalibur was that its light armour and lack of torps made it a challenging if fun ship to fly at the higher levels.

Best, Raptor

Uh huh, with the Excalibur you couldnt let the awesome fire power go to your head because you could get chewed up pretty quick. I know i made that mistake the first time.

Something i never understood about the Lance was that just because you could cloak, why can you see other ships that are cloaked? Made them basically sitting ducks. I could see the value of being able to know where your wingman is when your both cloaked, but how is it possible that your seeing them?

It would only be useful in penetrating the cloaks of ships using the exact same cloaking systme though. Except for locating your wingman, thats not very useful at all. And then we go and capture a whole bunch of them and use it to pick off the Black Lance's Lances.

Well im sure that you can see other Lances cloaked because it knows just what to look for, making it impossible for say Excaliburs or Strakha to see them without the exact details. But that means it isnt a totally complete cloak, that it gives off some sort of sign that it is there. It makes it that much easier to find a kink in it to allow other ships to find it.

Re: Excal's Armour. Tell me about it. I used to dread getting caught in an Ekapshi crossfire on the planet missions. Not to mention the capship attack missions, where you knew one heavy cannon hit could ruin your day. Ah, those were good times. :)

Best, Raptor

Re: Anti-cloaking. We know that the Nephilim in WC:p do have some way of finding cloaked fighters. Plus the fact that none of Confed's own new fighters are cloak capable suggests human and/or Kilrathi anti-cloak tech in 2681 might be just as good.

Best, Raptor

The Excalibur already was a very, very , very good fighter but as you said, she had some drawback: She "only" had good shields and good armour protection ans she did not carry any torpedoes (though the quad Tachyons made short work of most Cap ships). The Dragon however, was just perfect. Shields and Armour like a Longbow, speed like the Banshee, more nimble than the Hellcat, carrying torpedoes and decent missile loadout. And with that cloak incomming missiles were far less of a problem than earlier (I ran out of decoys very fast in a Hellcat). And she sure looked cool.

Most of Confed's new fighters were supposed to have cloaks -- but a scene that explained that they were useless against the Nephilim was cut from Prophecy.

That said, we've definately developed some anti-cloak technologies -- anti-cloak weapons appear in Armada and in WCIV.

Every time I hear what was left out by WCP I get more and more annoyed! How could they have done this! What is this for a world where money making is more important than producing high quality games for a bunch of hard core fans? <g>

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
(...) we've definitely developed some anti-cloak technologies -- anti-cloak weapons appear in Armada and in WCIV.

Huh? I must have missed an episode LOAF... :confused:

When did that happen, in WC IV??

Yes, and Armada... in Proving Grounds, Confed has an anti-cloaking weapon -- and then in WCIV the Dragon/Lance mounts a device that lets you see cloaked fighters all the time.

It wasn't just the Lance, tho, was it? I seem to recall one mission where cloaked arrows were following me quite well for not being able to see me.

Possibly, we have no way of knowing -- the cloaked arrows in WCIV *were* Project craft... so it's quite possible that they mount the anti-cloaking sensors.

(Although I don't think that was simulated in the game -- you were probably just unlucky <G>)

Not that unlucky, I mean it was just a couple of Arrows. After realizing that, hey, they can see me, it was quick work to vape them. I was just thinking at the time that it'd probably be more important to get to Earth tout suite. And then there was Seether, the pansy.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
(...) and then in WCIV the Dragon/Lance mounts a device that lets you see cloaked fighters all the time.

Of course!! How could I have forgotten that!! :)

Shame on me... :(

How does this anti-cloak weapon in Proving Grounds work? I have to admit, I never played it. :(
I find it a bit strange that Confed has methods to make cloaked ships visible for the naked eye (i.e. when you look out of the viewport from the Dragon) but not visible on the radar.

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 03-19-2001 at 17:43]

Well, unless you have total chameleon-like properties, it'd be pretty hard to completely cloak a ship in the visual spectrum... then again, that would make dogfighting at close ranges easy... now I'm confused.

Back