Hellcat = Piece of Junk

Err, Earthworm beat me to it -- but he's right... Lance was the official name, Dragon was a callsign that stuck.

The Hellcat in WC4 with the boosted shield and weapons is OK but just boring. But in WC3 I think she is far too weak compared to other fighters. 100 kps slower than the Arrow, only 40 kps faster than the Tbolt, 20-30 dps less YPR than the Arrow, only 10 dps more than the Tbolt and so on. But the Vindicator is also my favourite fighter in WC4 (except the Dragon of course). It has centered, fast firing guns and I found it had a better chance of survival when attacking Capships than the Avenger.

And Sonntag: I thought you lived in Denmark for your whole life. Weird story! I never thought that such name givings exist besides in movies or books . :)

In reference to the name of the Lance or Dragon figher, which one is the absolute correct name? The games ship loadout screen shows the name as "Dragon". Pliars also makes a comment while in the loadout screen "The Dragon is one hell of a fighter, still working on what those disks are, but the guns look like they will cut up whatever youre pointing them at". Which one would be correct?

RFBurns

About the Vindicator, I always felt it was a poor man's version of the T-bolt (which is one of my favorite all time fighters BTW). It had few more torps, but it's turret was weaker, it's guns were weaker, and it just didn't look as cool.<G>

The Vin did have an advantage in the armor department though.

B1 - Excalibur
B1a - Lance

OK now I get, still Dragon is better that Lance, so I will call it Dragon (I dont have the novels [OK I have now End Run] so I dont know about that stuff).
As for those Excaliburs, I belive that they had come from the Lexington since the game never said that there was nore ships in the area nor it makes any reference to a ConFed base in that system (or in close system).

um... they came from the lexington because you don't know there are other ships in the area? That's not very good logic. It's Confed space, they have planetary bases pretty much everywhere and ships all over the place.

TC

Ok my 3 cents:
1. The Hellcat was a decent fighter.
2. The thud is my second fav. wciii fighter (excal #1)
3. The vindicator is my fav. WCIV fighter
4. Enough said

Not everywhere has a colony. But pretty much everywhere has at least some sort of permanant Confed prescence.

TC

Pretty much everywhere that has a 'Confed' blue on the map has a base and/or a colony. Of course, in WC4 the Lexington was a stone's throw away from the entire third fleet...

Originally posted by Earthworm
About the Vindicator, I always felt it was a poor man's version of the T-bolt (which is one of my favorite all time fighters BTW). It had few more torps, but it's turret was weaker, it's guns were weaker, and it just didn't look as cool.<G>

The Vin did have an advantage in the armor department though.

Yes, the TBolt is my favourite WC3 fighter too. But I liked the Vindicator better. "Few more torps"? It had three times more torps! <g> And they were enough for every mission in WC4. And whereas her front guns were weaker, they sure fired fast and were centered, so you did not have the problem as in the Bearcat, the Banshee or the Avenger that you do not hit with all your guns. And even if the rear turret did considerably less damage than the Tbolt turret, it had a longer range. But I rarely used either one.
But this is only my personal attitude towards the Vindicator, each taste is different of course.

Err -- the Vindicator literally *was* the poor man's Thunderbolt (G)

(Except it could fight in an atmosphere, that was a nice quality...).

Three torps enough for every mission in wcIV? More like overkill for every mission in wcIV, you don't need a single torp.

I have to disagree with those who liked the Vindicator the most in WCIV. I think the Avenger is better. Here's why:
(I play on Ace or better, and so it is more important what ship I fly and the armor)

1. Better shields and armor. One missile hit severely damages the Vindicator. One missile hit knocks out shields and does minor armor damage to the Avenger (I'm assuming these are FF missiles)

2. Better guns. I thought that the laser was next to useless on the Vindicator, on the front or the rear turret. It was better just to use the tachyons. On the Avenger, if you set your power settings right (no damage, lock engines, transfer all damage to weapons/shields), the photons and mass drivers fire for awhile before running out (compare this to the Dragon/Lance, or the Hellcat- these guns run out quickly). The photons and mass drivers only do like 20 less damage per salvo than the Dragon's plasmas and tachyons. Both ships have the stormfire, which is fun to use when attacking a single craft.

3. More missiles. Some would consider this trivial, but I like having 8 IMRecs on the Avenger, instead of 6 on the Vindicator. This is very important on higher difficulty.

Anyway, the only mission on Ace difficulty that I really have problems with the Avenger is the first Pelius (sp?) mission when your systems are screwed.

Someone prove me wrong on the best ship ;)

Woohoo, 50th post!

[Edited by Hobbie on 03-16-2001 at 21:29]

Well I play it on crazy/nightmare :p and I like the banshee.
the banshee is fast, maneuverable has the missile load out of an avenger minus the torps, which tend to be more a hindrance then a help.

I must say that the Avenger is not a great craft because she is slow and has very poor manuverablity. I like medium fighters/fast heavys (like the excalibur or dragon or vampire) because they are fast reletivly manuverable and pack a decent to good punch.

Ohh and BTW I play on nightmare

The Avenger is only good for one thing. And that is, killing a capship w/ one torp lock. Link all your torps together, and fire em all at once. Any other mission, I like the banshee or dragon. (btw: Dragon sounds more cooler than lance. :))

What the Hellcat lacked, most obviously, is the auto-slide. That`s why I always tend to choose the Arrow over it, especially when attacking a Corvette.
It`s rear turret wrecks havoc in anything that tries to get close to it, so with the Arrow, I just zip by at 1300 kps and auto-slide, and tear it appart little by little.
It takes up a considerable amount of time, but I usually finish it without a scratch.

As for the T-bolt, at first I hated it, but after reading WC3 novel, I developed a certain liking to it, and chose it again over the Hellcat.

BTW, has anyone noticed an inconsistancy between WC3 novel and WC4 novel, where in '3 Blair chose the T-Bolt squadron as his own, because he said he liked the heavy fighter, whereas in '4, he doesn`t stop whining about how much he hates it for lacking maneuverability?

Back