Hell fuckin' yeah!

Yeah, as we all know, projects can and do get cancelled. This one looks solid, but even if somehow it disappears, let this be a sign to everyone that there are always people actively working to bring you more great Wing Commander stuff.

It's good to hear CR still trying after all this time. (If you go to other chatboards about space sims, they seem to give CR a bad name-blasphemous. :) )

I certainly hope this pulls through!

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

We... uhm.. might have been contacted previously about interest in a TV show among current fans... heh.

Sneaky LOAF, very sneaky. . . :) I feel so used, but in a good way! :)

"She used me?!?!?! I've was used? I've been used! Cool!" - Jim

Hooray! This is fantastic news. Let us hope that this is the dawn of a new era in Wing goodness.

What are you people talking about. Loaf has been saying that a show was in development, in not so subtle ways, for quite a while now. Now it's official ... and a great announcement.

I would just like to point out to everyone that at the moment nothing suggests they will also be developing any Wing Commander games. If they have the license to do a TV show, they might be allowed and willing to develop a game around the show. But right now, nothing suggests this will be the case. Don't get your hopes up for nothing.

Originally posted by KrisV
I would just like to point out to everyone that at the moment nothing suggests they will also be developing any Wing Commander games. If they have the license to do a TV show, they might be allowed and willing to develop a game around the show. But right now, nothing suggests this will be the case. Don't get your hopes up for nothing.

My guess is that if the show is successful, there's a good chance we'd see more games, but they'd be strictly EA productions. CR might be pulled in as a consultant if the game was based on the series, but I think there'd be just as big a chance of a game that ignored the series just because it would make things much less complex.
If you have a game and a TV show that cover the same period of time, then its a good idea to coordinate things and make sure that neither group ends up stepping on the toes of the other (especially in the case of WC, which is in the odd situation of having the rights originate with the game, and not the TV show). A game that appeared after a few seasons of the TV show (provided, of course, that it actually lasted that long) would be simple to do, but otherwise, ignoring the TV show and picking up during the Nephilim war would probably be much easier (unless, of course, CR decides to follow the Nephilim war - and as much as I like the idea, I doubt he will).

Now, everyone go back and take a look at how many hints have been dropped in the past few months (by Frosty alone... never could keep his mouth shut)

TC

That just is not fair!

After tracking the CIC news for years just to always read that there is no new "official" WC project in sight, I get sick for 3 days and (almost) miss what I waited all the year for :)

BTW, for those of you who wondered why I haven't posted or visited #wingnut for some time: I'm "infected" with a virus called "Lord of Destruction" ... what it does? Well, it simply *consumes* all of your spare time, making it impossible to find time for anything else, including posting here and visiting #wingnut :)

Fortunately, I ALMOST always (read above) at least kept checking out the CIC news... big thanks to the entire CIC staff! Keep up the good work!

Originally posted by junior

unless, of course, CR decides to follow the Nephilim war - and as much as I like the idea, I doubt he will).

I'm pretty sure that Roberts only got the TV and movie rights to wc 1-4... therefore all that hapend after (namely the nephilm) as well as new games are out of his reach, unless he has purchased or made a recent deal with EA... whom I would assume that they would rather make the game themselves to get all the money.

Originally posted by AD

I'm pretty sure that Roberts only got the TV and movie rights to wc 1-4... therefore all that hapend after (namely the nephilm) as well as new games are out of his reach, unless he has purchased or made a recent deal with EA... whom I would assume that they would rather make the game themselves to get all the money.

If CR asked EA if he could stick the Nephilim in a new WC TV series, I doubt EA would even hesitate to let him do so. WC is probably, for the moment, a dead property from EA's standpoint, and since CR already has WC TV rights, I don't think they'd object to letting him pick the time period to use.
My personal feeling, however, is that CR would probably prefer to stick to the period he knows best. He probably has his own attachments to the characters he created for WC1-4, and I would suspect that a new series will contain Blair v. Thrakhath as a plot element.
IF it does incredibly well, so that a TV franchise is created, then we may get the opportunity to jump ahead a decade or so and deal with the Nephilim.
As far as games go, I would imagine that no matter what happens, EA still holds, and will continue to hold, the rights to any new WC games. I would imagine that if the series does so-so, they might be willing to allow another party to develop a game based on a TV series, but if it does well, I'd suspect any new games would be done in-house.

On a related note, has CR ever given any thoughts and/or opinions on Prophecy? I'd be curious to know what he thought about the Nephilim, Blair's death, and the direction that the story had taken.

I'm not sure, EA has some pretty strange habits, such as going out of their way not to help others, probably why they went downhill and made huge losses, think they'll better their ways after that scare?

Thanks, I found the news clip.

I'm elated to hear such news, I hope it works. Problem is I don't have cable/satelite, so that's most likely where the show will be. I have some friends who won't mind letting me check it out though :D

I just hope they get rid of the WW2 style Rapiers, other then that... go get'em!

Originally posted by Firebird
I just hope they get rid of the WW2 style Rapiers, other then that... go get'em!
I'm going to assume you're referring to the movie Rapiers, and that raises two questions:
  1. Did you actually watch the movie?
  2. Do you actually know what any WWII-era fighters look like?[/list=1]I'm pretty certain that the answer to at least one of those questions is no.

Chances are they won't retain much at all from previous WC projects, so everyone can stop complaining about what characters will be in it, and how the ships will look, because they prefer green marshmallow ships to ones that look like they were made from metal and so-on.

Back