hc1's high res patch...for wc1..

Yes, he did. I believe I used to have a very, very early version of a DLL patch for the KSaga versions of WC1/2 - or maybe I only had screenshots. Whatever it was, I certainly no longer have it.

This project eventually died because HCl simply didn't have enough time to mess around with both WCP and WC1/2 - and WCP was certainly the one that more people were interested in.

If it's any consolation, I think this project would have been rather disappointing. I remember being excited, but at the same time underwhelmed by the results - sure, the game was running at 640x480, but since the graphics were developed for 320x240, the higher resolution meant primarily that they were slightly less pixellated, at the cost of being more blurry. Try taking a WC1 image and resizing it in a graphics program using bilinear or bicubic filtering, and you'll see what kind of results you could have counted on.

OK, so it wasn't sarcasm... I honestly didn't think such a thing would be made. Were the tradeoffs even slightly worth it?

Not really, no. Some people would say that upscaled, filtered graphics looked better - others would say they didn't. In any case, they looked different, but not different enough. With the patch, the game didn't generate the kind of excitement that playing any kind of remake produces - but it did generate the annoyance of looking different than you remembered.

Back