'Hazardous Duty' Pitch Revealed! (May 16, 2013)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Origin alumni and consummate archivist Binky has discovered another great treasure: the 1997 Origin pitch video for Wing Commander: Hazardous Duty. Hazardous Duty, named after one of George Oldziey?s music tracks for Wing Commander Prophecy, was an attempt to spin Wing Commander off into an FPS game. Binky saved a VHS of the demo all these years and recently digitized it for the ages!

The Wing Commander FPS project would have been built on the then-modern Quake engine and pitted Terran Confederation marines against space pirates and Kilrathi warriors in the Border Worlds. The plan was for it to stand out in the FPS market (and connect back to the initial IP) by featuring a more elaborate AI ?wingman.? A very basic demo was done in-house by the Maverick Team (largely a reskinning of Quake, with some level design.) While the project was ultimately not funded by Electronic Arts, the multiplayer was enjoyed for some time in-house by the team!

Check out the pitch video here:

--
Original update published on May 16, 2013

Last edited by a moderator:
After the Syndicate shooter I could believe that EA makes another shooter... with the Wing Commander Licence. Looks like a Quake Mod...hmmm...you have some files from Origin. Is on some disc the data from the game?

With a new storyline, some cutscenes (like here some WC4 scenes) it could be nice before Half Life 2. Too bad. But now with the Frostbite 3, HD graphics and new features... EA awake!!!

It's still be neat to get a hold of a design document for this, or whatever other materials they did have. I have been considering setting up a marine campaign for WCRPG just to do something different...

I guffawed out loud when I saw the text in that first briefing:
"Interesting text will go here. Rest assured, you will be spellbound by the wit and wisdom herein. What more can be said? Nothing of import. The slow gelatinous Shub-Niggurath slimes over the lazy slumbering Azathoth."
Looks like someone on the dev team was a Lovecraft fan...

Wasn't someone a few years back trying to do a Wing Commander mod for Half Life 2? I still think it would be great. Shame I haven't got a clue on how to make one or I would've had a go. I would've loved a WC FPS!

Wow, that looks like it was ambitious for the time. Having friendly squadmates in those days is unheard of.

An internal pitch like this is done on the cheap usury existing assets... because there's no budget for art/programming/design yet. So no Kilrathi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back