HAWX = Strike Commander reincarnate

Shaggy

Vice Admiral
Okay maybe not.
I picked up the PC a week or two ago, for 20$ from an Amazon vendor, figuring that if my current computer wouldn't run it I'd be able to play in a month or so when I get a new machine. But it runs great, looks good, and I've had a hell of a lot of fun so far. Now that I know how to do custom skins I'm having a lot more fun, I just wish I didn't have to overwrite the old skins to use them.
So has anyone else picked it up? What do you guys think about it?

Hey, I tested HAWX for a magazine here. I'm not very happy with it. I hoped, that it would be like SC, but sadly, it is not. The simulation is too easy, I think they should have made the game harder. It is not bad though, but it's no Strike Commander IMO. Furthermore, I think, that the story-line isn't very well presented. HAWX is okay, but no SC-reincarnate.

But you are right: It looks good and you don't need an up to date PC, that's quite cool :).

Tom Clancy's HAWX is easy and dumbed down if you're used to playing Wing Commander games. It's pretty perfect and what you'd expect for a flight sim in 2009.

I'm not sure how, but every fighter can literally carry hundreds of bombs/missiles. Guns and afterburner ammo/fuel are unlimited. If you're not any good at dogfighting, hit X and a series of virtual gates (Ring Game!) appear in the air and you fly through them and it delivers you exactly on the tail of your target. Checkpoints keep you from having to replay more than a minute or two of anything if you die. All of this might be appalling in 1999, but they're all pretty much required gameplay mechanics in 2009.

Hawx does a ton of stuff really well though. The graphics are outstanding. The sense of speed and flying is great. Just zooming around is fun thanks to these two things, and to top it off, there is a free flight mode that lets you fly around any of the maps, and many of the maps are accurate representations of real cities made with satellite data. On top of the simplified flight mode, there's the bonus flight mode that lets you pull all kinds of crazy maneuvers while forcing you to worry about stall speed and aerodynamics.

Experience, promotions, unlockables and the ability to go back and play any mission are great features (comparable to medals and mission branching in WC) that Hawx pulls off very well. The game has an incredible number of accurately detailed fighters (fifty or so), and it's pretty rewarding unlocking them all - plus paint schemes, weapons loadouts, etc.

The game has standard multiplayer stuff, plus it has four-player jump in/out coop throughout the entire story campaign. They managed to come up with an interesting plot that gets you into fighting with all kinds of modern superfighters without doing some kind of World War 3 thing. It has cool continuity tie-ins to Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell too. Really fun game overall.

I tried to like HAWX, but the moment you turn off "assistance" you get into a funky third-person mode where you lose all reference to everything... I gave up and will get it when it goes into the bargain bin.

(I tried the demo on the 360... I really tried to like it...).

There are many other (arcade) flight sims that are much better... Guess Ubisoft is trying to make the most out of their purchase of the Tom Clancy name...

In the full game there's a whole mission that focuses on how to use the assistance off mode. I wouldn't recommend people use it in the demo. It's not really meant for flying around (the normal 3rd person mode does that). What it does do is give you great visibility of incoming missiles and other aircraft that are way more maneuverable than you. There's no limit to when and where you can use it, but I find it's most effective if treated like "bullet time" in Max Payne and just keyed on for the most tricky situations.

I've been playing a ton since I picked it up last week. I ended up going for it on the PC, and I really like it. It has a load of planes, all of them are pretty beautiful, the missions are fun, the co-op play adds alot to the overall gameplay. It was definitely worth the purchase.

I tried to like HAWX, but the moment you turn off "assistance" you get into a funky third-person mode where you lose all reference to everything... I gave up and will get it when it goes into the bargain bin.

(I tried the demo on the 360... I really tried to like it...).

There are many other (arcade) flight sims that are much better... Guess Ubisoft is trying to make the most out of their purchase of the Tom Clancy name...

The thing I discovered with the Assistance off is that you have to stop flying like you do in the regular mode. You can turn or loop and manipulate those maneuvers with throttle or brake, which is what that's really meant for anyway. Your camera view locks onto whatever you have targeted. Once I figured that out I started ripping things up in dog fights. I use Assistance off for about 75% of the Rio invasion. The first time I fought online I shot down the round Ace twice in under two minutes using AO.

The ERS guide hoops drive me nuts though. Usually I can intercept a fighter, avoid a missile, faster on my own than with the ERS. The mission that forces you to use it had me howling obscenities like that freaky german kid on youTube.

Well, I guess I'll check it out again when it hits the bargain bin... it's current price is much too high for a game with a crappy demo...

Back