Has anyone got Scarface yet?

I just have trouble getting around how deplorable Tony is. Street values and principles, my arse. He was a greedy (forgivable), mildy sociopathic (argueably not his fault), paranoid power monger with guns drugs and a scar on his face. His inevitable downfall comes after he kills his best friend for loving his sister and he gets himself hyped up on his own product. and as for the game, there is absolutely nothing that can save a man shot that close with a shotgun, even if he hasn't been shot god only knows how many times already. The way he's merchandised like a modern jesus or something really makes me sick. He wasn't a martyr. He was a criminal and a despicable one at that. The premise of the movie is cheapening practically everything in his life until it's all just material. Somehow, by the end of the movie we're supposed to (and I'll admit that many people do) feel bad about this "loser who begins in the gutter, rises to power and is consumed by it. Makes me want to make christmas cards for other "heroes" like tony montana. MERRY CHRISTMAS CHARLIE MANSON!!!!

meisdavidp said:
I just have trouble getting around how deplorable Tony is..................

He at least had an inkling of a conscience. Instead of letting the assassin guy blow up the little girls and getting out of going to prison, he shot the assassin guy and screwed himself in the process.

Mav23 said:
Funny, I feel the same way about Kill Bill Vol. 1.

Vol. 1 had far too little Daryl Hannah in it.

meisdavidp said:
I just have trouble getting around how deplorable Tony is. Street values and principles, my arse. He was a greedy (forgivable), mildy sociopathic (argueably not his fault), paranoid power monger with guns drugs and a scar on his face. His inevitable downfall comes after he kills his best friend for loving his sister and he gets himself hyped up on his own product.
Well, that's the whole point of the movie, IMO. He built an empire out of nothing, but then his hubris took it all away from him and killed him.

The "gangsta" people like him because he is a symbol of their lives. People who enter the drug dealing business know that they're trading decades of their lives for a luxurious but short existence. They realize that they're going to die a lot sooner, but "at least" they're living large. Note that I obviously do not agree with that point of view.

meisdavidp said:
and as for the game, there is absolutely nothing that can save a man shot that close with a shotgun, even if he hasn't been shot god only knows how many times already.
Well, I think that, in the game, you get to shoot that guy BEFORE he shoots you. it's a better explanation than Tony surviving the blast.

meisdavidp said:
The way he's merchandised like a modern jesus or something really makes me sick. He wasn't a martyr. He was a criminal and a despicable one at that. The premise of the movie is cheapening practically everything in his life until it's all just material. Somehow, by the end of the movie we're supposed to (and I'll admit that many people do) feel bad about this "loser who begins in the gutter, rises to power and is consumed by it. Makes me want to make christmas cards for other "heroes" like tony montana. MERRY CHRISTMAS CHARLIE MANSON!!!!
I don't think that the movie glorified him or anything. I definitely didn't "root" for him :) I see the whole martyr stuff as a posterior thing. But you're right, people do act like that.

Back