Hardware: Soundcard terminology

Preacher

Swabbie
Banned
This one's for you audiophiles out there on the CZ:

I'm confused about speaker output standards on sound cards. I want to know what the diff's are between yer standard "stereo" output (which most cards have), and 4.1, 5.1, and "6-speaker sound". Reading the following definitions on the "3D Soundsurge" site didn't help:

"4.1-analog/digital out: The soundcard in addition to the front and stereo output also offers a subwoofer output.
5.1-analog/digital: The soundcard has an output for the subwoofer/center channel in addition to the front and rear speaker stereo output"

Maybe I'm dense, but the 2 definitions above say essentially the same thing, with slightly different word arrangements, do they not?...

Plz help clarify this to me. Thx. :confused:

4.1 is a gaming setup. Basically it's two sets of stereo speakers, one in front and one in back. The ".1" is simply the sub.

5.1 is intended for accompanying a fancy DVD rig. Essentially identical to the 4.1 setup, except with a center forward channel as well, which greatly enhances the experience.

The trouble with these rigs is they're not as good at what the other is supposed to do. 4-speakers are great for games, but they lose a lot without the center channel when viewing a DVD. Likewise, the 5-speaker setups tend to confuse when in a game.

Basically, it boils down to whichever you use your computer for more, multimedia or games. If your habit is to engage in only one of these to the exclusion of the other, then the choice is simple. But I'd say if you're really into DVD and games equally... just grab the 5.1s, you'll keep them around longer

I'd look out for Creative's new speakers, if I were you. They should be out soon if they already aren't, and they'll probably be the best you can do overall.

4.1 -> no center speaker channel, but a subwoofer channel
5.1 -> a center AND a subwoofer channel

the subwoofer channel can normally be switched off at the receiver, if no subwoofer is connected, so that the front left + right speakers will have a bigger bass output in exchange for the missing subwoofer

Back