hardest mission and a mission that was easier than you expected

Jdawg

Commodore
its been a minute since I did one of these so....what do yall think is the hardest mission in the wing commander universe and what mission was easier than you expected...

for me the hardest one was ghorah khar 2d strike, this is the one with hobbes, and bear as your wingmen and you have to defeat a host of fighters and two fralthra cap ships. those cap ships basically never miss with the main guns, it took me at least 30 to 40 tries to beat it. it prob is the hardest level i ever played.

the mission that was easier than expected was corsair 6 of secret mission 2. with that many enemies I expected to have to try and beat it a couple of times but I got it on my first try, the only bad thing was, I had to eject bc the tiger claw was not there when I returned.

what are some of yalls hardest and easiest missions in the game

That and the other one with two fralthra (which comes if you fail that, I think?) are the worst anywhere in WC1&2.

I love the one where you go after transports with Bossman (Kurasawa 1?), not that you'd expect it to be very hard, though few missions have that many enemies.

Hardest: Wc2 SO2 Against the 2 Fralthra with their beedy ion driver cannons.

2nd hardest: WC2 SO1 with you and Hobbes in sabers up against 1 Fralthra and 2 wings of Gorthri

Most eaeasiest: coming back from the black lance base after stealing a Dragon fighter.

It's nice to see more variety than simply "Kurasawa 2." Potentially, that mission comes off as easier than expected because it's historically been put on such a pedestal, but there are some good strategies to attack it with. On the other hand, I think you kind of nailed it with those SO missions. The SM campaigns are up there because of the both the volume and veracity of the enemies you have to fight in underpowered ships, and anytime in WC2 you have to go against multiple capships can be very dicey.

Out of the box a bit, the Armada gauntlet also quickly ramps up into a series of very tough missions. Another factor that can play a significant role is ship selection. All the aforementioned tough missions are partly tough because of the ship you're in. But in WC3, WC4 and Privateer, ship selection can really tilt the balance to your style. Imagine if some of your Thunderbolt or Longbow missions had to be accomplished in a Hellcat. Likewise sticking with a Tarsus or Straith turns a number of run-of-the-mill scenarios into absolute nightmares.

WC4, Nightmare difficulty, Tyr-1. Unless you reset your Nav computer and avoid the Banshees, this is easily the hardest piloting challenge I've seen in a WC game. The Banshees are too fast to hit with missiles (you can be right behind them with a lock and you will still miss), and too small to hit with guns. Second place is probably WC3, Nightmare difficulty, Alcor 1; it beats out SO2 Ghorah Khar-D because there's no strategies to it, you've just got to outfly the Dralthi and twist around and dodge missiles like anything.

Missions which were easier than expected...hmm, one of the ones that stands out is destroying the Hvar'kann in WC3 Sol - you can't win the mission, of course, but there's this huge Dreadnought which is supposed to be a symbol of the invincible might of the Kilrathi armada, and it goes down exactly the same way all of the other Kilrathi heavies do - fly into the hangar and tape down the fire button.

Last edited:
Do the Fan made games count?
If yes, Standoff's mission where you blast the massive carrier in a crossbow. No afterburners, nail-bitting as I watched my shields and armor drop to nearly nothing before I launched the torpedoes, but I survived the first run through.

If no... I think it was one of the Torgo missions of WC3? The Behemoth's last stand. The ship kept blowing up and I continuously restarted the mission to try to save it... keep in mind the internet wasn't what it is today... so there was no way to tell that it was supposed to be destroyed! AHHH!!!

P.S. Long time no see everybody!

Back