Happy Birthday, Wing Commander! (September 26, 2018)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!

Can you believe it's been twenty-eight years? The original Wing Commander officially shipped on Friday, September 26, 1990! Wing Commander was one of the most complex game productions ever attempted and its impact continues to shape the medium today. From the game's immersive touchstones to the still-engrossing pulp sci-fi storyline to how development processes and gaming technologies adapted to support such a project, it's not an exaggeration to call Wing Commander one of the most important game releases of all time. Want a more in-depth history lesson? Check out the 'making of' article about the game from The Wing Commander I & II: The Ultimate Strategy Guide here.

--
Original update published on September 26, 2018

September 1990...eighth grade. Ugh. Smack in the middle of my "life sucks" period from 6th-10th grades. Wing Commander was a bright spot in the midst of all that for sure...

September 1990... I was three years old. I wouldn't get into the series for another six years with the gold edition WC2 in summer of 96. I'm 31 now. That's 22 years of fighting the Kilrathi. It's been a hell of a ride.

Back