Happy Birthday, Wing Commander (September 26, 2010)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Wing Commander turns twenty years old today! That is a truly astounding amount of time--one I am not well-equipped to understand. I know that everyone expects me to offer another rallying cry to fandom or introspective screed about our series. The truth is that I can't praise Wing Commander more than I already have and I can't better define our amazing community. I can't promise better answers about these things than I did years ago. I continue to believe that there will be more Wing Commander games and that this fandom is the world's finest. I believe these things as strongly today as I did fifteen years ago.

So instead, I have for you only an appropriate quote from Wing Commander Fleet Action--one which I think addresses exactly those rare dark thoughts we have all briefly entertained about what we are doing:
Maybe I'm getting too old for these sorts of games, he thought. Twenty years of fighting is pressing the edge of the envelope just a little too much. He pushed the thought aside, no sense dwelling on it. Besides, what the hell would I do with myself to kill the boredom?

Here's to the next twenty! Keep having fun with it, keep making a great community and...
BEAT ARMY​

--
Original update published on September 26, 2010

Last edited by a moderator:
What a deliciously appropriate - and real - quote! Who's the first person that can name which character thought it?!

Happy Birthday Wing Commander!!! Thanks for all the memories and years of edge of your seat space sim action and awesome story! When will you come back and save the gaming industry? hehe

Well, to quote something else : "So say we all."

Long live the WingNuts and the CIC. May we see and live great things together!

Amazing that its been 20 years already. I vaugely remember seeing the tech demo running on loop at a CompUSA before the game came out (ditto TIE Fighter some time later).

Time flies when you're cooking Kats.

I vaugely remember seeing the tech demo running on loop at a CompUSA before the game came out (ditto TIE Fighter some time later).

Wing Commander actually predates CompUSA by a year or so.

Happy Birthday WingCommander!

And thank you CIC and all you WingNuts out there for being there, keeping the dream alive.

Back