Happy Birthday Wing Commander Arena! (July 25, 2012)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Happy Birthday to Wing Commander Arena! The game was released five years ago today on July 25, 2007. Time sure flies! Arena revolutionized XBox Live Arcade with 16-player games, cooperative play and tons of ships, maps and modes - all for $10! What are your memories of playing the game online with fellow Wingnuts? Hit the Discuss link below and share!

No mention of Arena would be complete without calling out its incredible manual: Star*Soldier. This 60+ page booklet recaps decades of history of the Nephilim War and masterfully weaves in elements from the games, novels, movie, television show and more. It can't be missed! Download Star*Soldier here (7.7 meg PDF).

Wing Commander Arena is a fast-paced space combat game where players can team up to attack other teams of ships. The game introduces the classic franchise to an arcade-style experience that allows up to 16 players online in battle at once. Players can propel their customized ship through space, fire torpedoes and unleash deadly gravity bombs as they try to climb the leader board. Online players will compete for Frag count, high score and dueling stats.

--
Original update published on July 25, 2012

Last edited by a moderator:
We should play a couple of rounds tonight in honor of the date!

I agree!

I can't believe it's been 5 years since a bunch of the #wingnut regulars stayed up all night to play it the second it came out. We spent the lead up watching WCA and the movie, before Hades told us it had been released earlier than we thought. Then we all jumped in! It was great!

Once I get home and get some dinner in me, I'll throw on the Xbox and wait around for someone to jump in...

I'll throw on the Xbox and wait around for someone to jump in...

You're waiting around for someone to jump in your Xbox? Won't that like, crush it and render it completely unusable, and probably shock the living crap out of that person in the process? :p:eek:

You're waiting around for someone to jump in your Xbox? Won't that like, crush it and render it completely unusable, and probably shock the living crap out of that person in the process? :p:eek:

No.

Because Hank is a midget.

I would like to play this with people too. Maybe we could set up some community play-date, similar to how WCPedia sets up their irc meetings?

I would like to play this with people too. Maybe we could set up some community play-date, similar to how WCPedia sets up their irc meetings?

Yeah, by all means, I strongly encourage everyone to do this. There's dozens of people here who have the game and I'm sure would be willing to help people get the Tiger's Claw achievement, among other things, but it's just a matter of coordinating (and many of our schedules make it hard to commit to any specific date/time). If someone takes the lead, it should be fun though.

I still need to get one more achievement (win Ranked duels with every ship type) so if someone out there wants to get on board with that, let me know.

Just started with Arena myself; didn't even hear about it until recently, and just downloaded it last week, and no one wants to play (at least not at the same time I do) :( So, I'll lead off setting up this play date...

Any wingnuts wanna get down on some Arena, I'll be booting it up tomorrow night (Wednesday the 5th) at around 8:30 pm or so, Pacific Time

I have it and have played a little.

Sadly being from Australia makes getting others tough.

If anyone wants to plan ahead some games I have most of October off for holidays so send me a message with times (converted to Sydney time would help :D)

Back