Happy Birthday Wing Commander 2! (September 4, 2016)

Actually that's something I'd like to hear from the community on. If someone was to throw WC1/2/3/SWC/Armada/Privateer era ships into an engine. Would they prefer them drawn as WC1/2 style, or as the more realistic WC3/4/Privateer style? Keep in mind that we have both Privateer and WC2 original art assets available so it would be possible to have perfect colour reproduction for either style.

My vote is WC1/2

I see the Privateer style as more of a bridge to later styles.

Not saying that later styles are bad. Wing Commander Saga is stellar.

Oh man, I'm late for the party, shame on me!

Yes, WC2 is a great game and I always switch between it and WC1 for being my favourite WC. Chris and Quarto put it very well: the characters look and feel great, even better than WC1, and I love WC2 for the face it gave to the Kilrathi. The Emperor's speeches to Thrakhath are what defined the Kilrathi for me and all that with the glorious speech added. Goosebumps indeed! (The only other Kilrathi speech that struck me as awesome as WC2's is when Thrakhath addresses Blair in WCATV's "The last one left"). And oh yes, some of my favourite ships designs are from WC2.

The only negative points about WC2 are the crappy manual and that it started the "Kilrathi fly incredbily inferior ships" trend. And the lack of promotions/medals.

Edit: Also, since I played WC2 not when it came out but two years later (I think), I never realized how quickly it came after WC1/SM2 - a good time for WC fans indeed! (Though, maybe I wouldn't have played WC1 as often then).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the WC2 livestream.

Wing Commander 2 isn't just my favorite Wing Commander game, it's without hesitation my favorite game of all time. I really couldn't think of any other game that had such a profound effect on me.

It was my first entry in the series as well and it was one of my first PC games. The graphics and the premise were enough to blow me away as a kid in the early 90's compared to what I was used to from the NES and Sega Genesis, I was living out fantasies of Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica in a way no other game had ever been able to deliver. What really put it over the edge however was the setting and story which was all new and unlike anything I'd ever experienced in a video game with themes like death, mourning, guilt, love and redemption. To some the story probably looks quaint by today's standards but at the time I couldn't believe what I was seeing in a video game.

None of my friends at the time cared for the game few were into PC gaming at all so until the dawn of the Internet I was a personal island of Wing Commander fandom, eagerly getting my hands on the first game and each sequel and spin-off. Though a few came close, none really captured the je ne sais quoi of Wing Commander 2 for me.

I've never replayed another story-driven game so many times and still try to get to it at least once a year. I'm really looking forward to the stream, the Wing Commander 1 stream was great fun.

Did anyone save the twitch VOD? It seems to be gone now. I normally dl these let's plays and watch them later but I had forgotten to grab this one. The first three are up on youtube on the StarCitizen page but the WC2 one isn't :(

Back