Handles .. .

Ah. My bad. I guess I mis-read your post re: the human disguise part. But, the one dud that took over the dead Boomers body, and every time they blew off thier skin and changed size and shape - I'd call that mutating. But that could be a matter of semantics I suppose.

As for ADPF, that rocked. Personally, I've never met any BGC fan who didn't like it, while I have met many who disliked Crash. It did seem that every time a Boomer was shooting the place up, the ADP got thier butts handed to them in Crisis though. They may have won a few battles, but they came off as being Phyrric victories. Even against the Gryphon. Then the Knight Sabers come in, polish it off like it was little more than a nussance. (ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the picture)

The part about "Say Yes" is that it was supposed to be a "tribute" of sorts to Priss. If you read the lyrics, you'll see that they pretty accurately describe a death that would have been if Priss did die at the hands of Largo as originally planned.

Originally posted by DetailedTarget
Ah. My bad. I guess I mis-read your post re: the human disguise part. But, the one dud that took over the dead Boomers body, and every time they blew off thier skin and changed size and shape - I'd call that mutating. But that could be a matter of semantics I suppose.

When you say "took over the dead Boomers body" are you talking about in episode 1? That would be the fusion boomer.

As for ADP vs. Knightsaber comparisons, well, as any fan knows, there pretty much is no comparison at all. Even the military admits that their suits aren't as good as the those of the Knight Sabers (and the K-11 Suits the ADP use in episode 3 are old military models), and that's in episode one, before any of the upgrades (reminds me of one of the most humorous times in the series - episode 8 when the nut studies the Knight Sabers carefully so his new boomers will win, and then the Knight Sabers upgrade before the battle :p ).

It's just unfortunate that Harlock is also a clone. ;)

At least he's a good Wildstar/Kodai clone though, unlike Rick Hunter. :)

I always thought Roy was the Wildstar/Kodai clone?

Originally posted by junior
Area 88 - saw the first two episodes a long time ago. It looked good, although I never had a chance to see the remaining episodes. Anyone remember the video game UN Squadron? My guess is that in Japan, that game was entitled Area 88...

The Area 88 OAVs r0x0red! I liked the comics better, though. The black & white fit the overall mood better. Also, characters like Rocky got fleshed out and didn't get blown away stupidly right away. Mick also had this wannabe New York accent that made him sound more like he was from Chicago :rolleyes:

The US arcade game UN Squadron is indeed an import of the Japanese Area 88, which is based directly off the comics and features the three more prominent characters (Shin Kazama, the main character and typical "best pilot of all time;" Mickey Simon, Shin's friend and conveniently the second best pilot; Greg Gates, one of the reoccurring pilots who became more popular with fans).

Definitely look up Area 88. I highly recommend it to any combat aviation fans!

I've been working on an Outlaw Star \ Privateer crossover fanfic for a while now, with horrible continuity mergings that would make any LOAF cringe. Currently I'm working on the universe background. I stopped work on the fic when I realized I can't write. :(

Originally posted by Saturnyne
It boggles the mind. Somehow, I get that the first three letters mean "lord of all". Now I'm going to think about what it is until my brain explodes.

It's LOAD spelled wrong, according to the fantabolistic Book of LOAF. :p

Originally posted by Col.Dom

Out of all the old cartoons I used to watch Thundercats was the one to wither (and why is it considered anime?).

Because some Jap studios were pimped out to the US to do animation :(

Um...I'm not sure which BGC OVAs you saw, but the 8 that I saw did have a running storyline that dealt with ongoing character development. Also, as I understand it, there were in fact 13 episodes planned, but funding ran short, and that's why we got stiffed of any story arch resolution. (also why such big plot points were developed - i.e. - what's really up with Sylia, what happened to Largo, etc)

Priss was to populer with fans the person the did her voice had a contract said that she had to sing with a group not sole.

I don't know about that, but singing contracts are what kept Oomori Kinuku _out_ of Crash.

As for Priss being killed, yes, fan popularity is what saved her from what I hear.

Incidentally, for those who are curious, the best English language source of background material for Bubble Gum Crisis 2032 is apparently the rule book for R. Talsorian's BGC role-playing game.

I'd like to take this opportunity to ask a few questions about Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040:
1) What does AD in AD Police stand for?
2) Why is the show called Bubblegum Crisis, when it seems to have nothing to do with bubblegum?
3) Why does Leon allow an 18yr old computer geek (Nene) to make fun of his name (he's a veteran cop for crying out loud)?

I might think of a few more, but thanks in advance :)

Originally posted by Penguin
I'd like to take this opportunity to ask a few questions about Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040:

I'll see what I can do. Be aware, that I get most of these answers from second-hand sources

I couldn't find out what AD means either, but it apears to be something similar to "future" to Japanese culture.

2) Why is the show called Bubblegum Crisis, when it seems to have nothing to do with bubblegum?

"Bubblegun" is a cool English word to the Japanese. Don't ask me why it is. I really don't know. Go ask someone from Japan, but that is why it is used

3) Why does Leon allow an 18yr old computer geek (Nene) to make fun of his name (he's a veteran cop for crying out loud)?

Japanese culture.

Most questions can be question by two simple answers.... culture and it sounds cool. This applys to most anime

Originally posted by Penguin

Well, even though 2040 is _EVIL_ (not to mention vile....hey! They're anagrams! lol :D ), your questions are somewhat generic to BGC (except for the last one).

Bubblegum Crisis is reported to be an analogy of blowing a bubble with gum until it pops. Around the breaking point is the crisis point. Apparently the analogy is between that, and the events in the series. I read that either somewhere on Animeigos site, or the Kenichi Sonada shrine....can't remember right now.

It may also be a cool english word in Japan, I'm not sure. They tend to be a strange bunch (which is why I like them lol).

Also, AD is supposed to stand for "Advanced" since they are not highway patrol and deal with boomer crimes and not lowly street crime. It's been a very long time, but I think that was mentioned in the AD Police Files mini OVA series. Again, it may also represent futurism in Japan as well. Puns and double entendres would not surprise me in the least.

Finally, just for kicks, track down the original BGC on DVD, give them a spin and see how you like it vs. 2040.

I feel the need to point out that I absolutely couldn't stand Bubblegum Crisis... if anybody wants to buy a cheap copy of the shiney pink DVD box set, I'd be happy to get rid of it <G>

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I feel the need to point out that I absolutely couldn't stand Bubblegum Crisis... if anybody wants to buy a cheap copy of the shiney pink DVD box set, I'd be happy to get rid of it <G>

Blaspheeeemer!!! Burn the infidel!!!

:D j/k. Though it does blow me away to hear someone say that though. :)

Bubblegum Crisis is reported to be an analogy of blowing a bubble with gum until it pops. Around the breaking point is the crisis point. Apparently the analogy is between that, and the events in the series. I read that either somewhere on Animeigos site, or the Kenichi Sonada shrine....can't remember right now.

Forgot to mention - that is also supposed to be the meaning behind the title of volume #3 - Blow Up.

Back