Halcyon vs Devereaux

ELTEE

Vice Admiral
3 rounds, 5 minutes each, MMA style. The 'arena' is the briefing 'pit' on the Concordia.

Who wins? In what round? What's the final bone-crushing move?

Given that I've at least seen Angel move around in various sequences, but all I've ever seen Halcyon do is placing a medal onto you.... veeery slowly... I'm going to guess Angel.

Oh, you meant if we weren't imposing ridiculous logic based off the game's graphics? Halcyon hands down.

Since we've actually seen angel fly we know what she's like - loyal and obedient to a fault. Flying into things because she wont leave your wing until you order her to is incredibly annoying (and stupid).

Ignoring that, Halcyon does do minimal amounts, which is wierd as whenever blair is CAG he still flies (WC4 notably), yet neither Halcyon nor Drake (in WCP) bother. Angel as a CAG does fly though!

So i guess I'm gonna say that Halcyon is like Shotglass, he's no longer capable of flying. So Angel would win by default. In a bar fight however, i'd have my money on Halcyon!

Ignoring that, Halcyon does do minimal amounts, which is wierd as whenever blair is CAG he still flies (WC4 notably), yet neither Halcyon nor Drake (in WCP) bother. Angel as a CAG does fly though!

Angel, Blair and Halcyon are all Wing Commanders, Drake is a CAG; Drake is a Naval officer who coordinates three separate fighter wings while the others are Space Force officers who command single units. The Heart of the Tiger novelization notes that it is up to a particular Wing Commander as to whether or not he/she chooses to fly regular missions. It's worth pointing out that it isn't necessarily a selfish decision -- losing the carrier's senior mission planner on an ordinary patrol might well cause more long-term chaos than having him not fly that mission in the first place.

(We should also point out that we don't *know* that Halcyon doesn't fly... we just don't fly with him.)

Angel, Blair and Halcyon are all Wing Commanders, Drake is a CAG; Drake is a Naval officer who coordinates three separate fighter wings while the others are Space Force officers who command single units.

I know we were debating about it recently, but this is the clearest explanation I have seen explaining the difference between a Wing Commander and a CAG...

See? Even silly threads often result in good answers to great questions! ;)

Blair is practically the captain on the intrepid! although i guess special circumstances apply there!

I don't know, but I can picture Doomsday sitting in the back row, saying "I hate it when this happens."

Angel, Blair and Halcyon are all Wing Commanders, Drake is a CAG; Drake is a Naval officer who coordinates three separate fighter wings while the others are Space Force officers who command single units. The Heart of the Tiger novelization notes that it is up to a particular Wing Commander as to whether or not he/she chooses to fly regular missions. It's worth pointing out that it isn't necessarily a selfish decision -- losing the carrier's senior mission planner on an ordinary patrol might well cause more long-term chaos than having him not fly that mission in the first place.

(We should also point out that we don't *know* that Halcyon doesn't fly... we just don't fly with him.)

according to the novel, the previous Victory WC before Blair, Col Dulbrunn, only flew on magnum launches. Perhaps Halcyon was similar? Anyway, Dulbrunn got himself killed, which netted the Vic a war hero in Blair. Mwa ha. High ranking officers are not immune to flying when the situation calls for it, Commodore Tolwyn even flew in a WCA episode (though I don't remember him doing anything).

at to the OP's question, Halcyon vs. Angel. I assumed from the title this was meant as a WC, who do you prefer? It's actually an interesting question. Angel was pretty good about not letting her loyalty towards your character get you favors. Perhaps she was a little excessive over it. Halcyon seemed more no-nonsense. It's kind of an unfair comparison, as we get to know Angel as a person, her history and all. Halcyon we just know as a reasonable hard ass. Both close up their emotions, but Halcyon does a far better job at it. Not enough hot, female war hero pilots under his command to trip him up, I guess.

as far as fist fighing, Angel did manage to land a blow to Jazz while being held at gun point. That's pretty badass. But something tells me Halcyon could have done the same thing. Other than that, both of them got themselves killed in action. Do we have any concrete details as to how for either? I don't think so.

Actually we have concrete details on one, and fairly certain details on the other.

Angel was personally gutted by the claws of Prince Thrakhath himself after Thrako vaporized the rest of Angel's special operations team which landed on Kilrah immediately preceding the events of WC3. Thrakhath used a video of him executing Angel to try and goad Blair away from the Victory so it could be attacked in the aftermath of the Behemoth being destroyed.

We don't have concrete details on exactly how Halcyon died, but text from the "Winning Loser" endgame of WC2 (Where you lose the Enigma series and end up back in Gwynedd, but can still win the game by destroying two Fralthra and killing Thrakhath) when you shoot down Jazz has Blair accusing Jazz of being responsible for the deaths of certain people when he betrayed the Tiger's Claw, and one of them he mentions is "General Halcyon." Halcyon had been slated to promotion to Brigadier General at the end of SM2 and would have moved on to Confederation Tactical Command and Blair would have been promoted to Colonel and become the Claw's Wing Commander. So we pretty much know for sure that Halcyon was on the Tiger's Claw when it was blown up by the Kilrathi stealth fighters.

We don't have concrete details on exactly how Halcyon died

He was aboard the Tiger's Claw when it was destroyed, according to the Wing Commander I & II Ultimate Strategy Guide.

I totally want to go to the Intrepid museum in the near future.

When I was in NYC in '06 they had just started to move the Intrepid down the river. I went there a few weeks after it had gotten stuck in the mud. I'd love to go see how it looks now.

We should organize an Intrepid trip! I haven't been since it has returned and would like to see her now.

If you guys want to go, I'm there.

I also still have the raw cut of the Wing Commander movie to show to any fans, if they are interested - I don't know if there's anywhere in New York where we could do that...

Angel, Blair and Halcyon are all Wing Commanders, Drake is a CAG; Drake is a Naval officer who coordinates three separate fighter wings while the others are Space Force officers who command single units.

In WC3, Blair serves, at least techincally, as a CAG, doesn't he?

Particularly In the novel he is portrayed as laying out the flight roster and choosing commanders for each squadron, most notably because he couldn't find a "comfortable" place to put Maniac because of Marshall's attitude and flying style. Even in the game you can get dressed down a little bit if you don't start flying with the existing pilots on the Victory.

Hmm - I know of a few places in MA where we could do that :D

As for NY, I'll have to put my thinking cap on. My buddy just finished restoring his condo (and I think he's putting in a 60+ flatscreen LCD) so that might work. The rents still live in NY, but their viewing hardware is limited at best. :(

Back