Hakaga of fire and durasteel?

NinjaLA

Alex Von T.
In the Fleet Action books, it describes the Hakaga carriers as being made of an incredibly strong double hull. This probably made them the most invulnerable ships on either side to external attack.

They were defeated by internal sabotage and marine landings.

But after playing Arena for a while I realized that the Port Broughton and both of the battlecruisers exhibit a similar tendancy to take incredible punishment and keep on flying.

So this leads me to speculate that the Kilrathi may have shared their construction techniques with the Confederation during the Nephilim war.

I'd be willing to bet that this special method of construction helped our combined forces go toe-to-toe with the best and baddest that the Nephilim could throw at us.

So the point of this thread is to figure out whether or not it is reasonable to assume that the hakaga experiment was a success even if it didn't work in the intended method for the kilrathi. Since it appears to have stopped the Kilrathi doomsday prophecy from being realized.

I believe the double hull was probably just an armored interior hull and armored exterior hull. That is, nonessential stuff such as crew quarters would be in that outer layer, while vital systems such as reactors and flight bays would be inside. Thus, attacks would have to penetrate two full layers of armor.

I think it's more a matter of spending a lot of resources than a huge technological breakthrough. The other big deals are multiple and seperate flight decks, and armor sheaths extended so far behind the ship's engines that bombers would have to fly directly in its wake, and even then it had armored shutters. None of it sounds particularly advanced. Rather it sounds like a shipbuilding project that would just take a lot of time and raw material. And so then comes the armistace... time that Confed is not building, and resources that would have otherwise been required elsewhere.

Space Point!

Actually, the Confederation began incorporating 'Hakaga technology' much earlier - starting with the Vesuvius immediately after the war.

I believe the double hull was probably just an armored interior hull and armored exterior hull. That is, nonessential stuff such as crew quarters would be in that outer layer, while vital systems such as reactors and flight bays would be inside. Thus, attacks would have to penetrate two full layers of armor.

I figured it was more simple than that. Two distinct layers of material on the exterior with some kind of buffer between them. Not necessarily high-tech beyond Confed's reach, just a resource-intensive thickening of the hull. Stuff like that is not only expensive because of added material, but also because of additional engine power required to move the mass - so something you would maybe only see on your biggest or most powerful ships.

Back