Carrier battle

• Midway

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Hakaga

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
To my knowledge, these are the two largest carriers in existence in the WC universe. If put to battle, which would win?

As much as I hate to say it, my money is on the Hagaka, the thing can take more damage then even the Concordia and still come out in fighting condition. From what we see of the design, its bristling with turrets, and has multiple landing bays.

Depends slightly if we are talking about Midway+Shipkiller or Midway alone.
Also are we talking about a refittet Hakaga or one of its timeline?
If either is in disfavour of the Hakaga it would loose for sure.
If not its basically purely a matter of the fighter compliment of those two.

Depends slightly if we are talking about Midway+Shipkiller or Midway alone.
Also are we talking about a refittet Hakaga or one of its timeline?
If either is in disfavour of the Hakaga it would loose for sure.
If not its basically purely a matter of the fighter compliment of those two.

Tough call, that lousy ship killer probably isn't a standard on the Midway class, so no ship killer.

As for the refit... I'm thinkin no.

Well, the Prophecy manual stated that the Midway's shield strength rival those of large fixed installations. There was not much said about the Hakaga's shields.

I would assume that both ships' normal turrets would do no damage to the shields of its rival.

This leaves us with the bomber complements that each carrier carries. I doubt Hagaka-era torpedoes would be able to do much to the Midway, therefore the Midway would win by default.

However if the two ships rammed each other, the Hagaka might be the better of the two due to its emphasis on armour.

All speculation of course.

To my knowledge, these are the two largest carriers in existence in the WC universe. If put to battle, which would win?

Depends how you define largest - the Midway and the Hakaga may be the *longest* carriers... but the Vesuvius outmasses the Midway by 50,000 tonnes.

(... and the 22 kilometer Hvar'kann dreadnaught wins in terms of length for the Kilrathi...)

Well, the Prophecy manual stated that the Midway's shield strength rival those of large fixed installations. There was not much said about the Hakaga's shields.

The Hakaga has "shield generation systems capable of repulsing nearly any weapon the Confederation now has, including their Mark IV & V antimatter torpedoes."

I would assume that both ships' normal turrets would do no damage to the shields of its rival.

The Hakaga seems to have purely defensive weapons, but the Midway has six "heavy ion cannons" for anti-capital ship work (we never see them in the game).

That said, the Hakaga has *much* better defensive weapons - 64 turets (half of which are quad-mounts) versus the Midway's 25 dual-mount lasers (they each have six missile turrets - the Midway has IR launchers and the Hakaga.

This leaves us with the bomber complements that each carrier carries. I doubt Hagaka-era torpedoes would be able to do much to the Midway, therefore the Midway would win by default.

Note that the Hakaga has the superior fighter force -- 288 ships versus 252.

However if the two ships rammed each other, the Hagaka might be the better of the two due to its emphasis on armour.

No question, here - the Hakaga has over twice the mass of the Midway (500,000 tonnes versus 200,000).

(...)

The Hakaga seems to have purely defensive weapons, but the Midway has six "heavy ion cannons" for anti-capital ship work (we never see them in the game).
(...)

Minor nitpick but aren't they "medium ion cannons"? Also my German version of Waypoint says it carries eight of those but I am pretty sure the English version says six.

This is a tough one to called, both ships are impressive. i would have to go with midway based off it's fighters. it also depends on the ships tactics, and use of it's fighters.

Minor nitpick but aren't they "medium ion cannons"? Also my German version of Waypoint says it carries eight of those but I am pretty sure the English version says six.

Hmm, Star*Soldier lists 'heavy ion cannons (6)' under weapons. I don't think the ICIS manual says how many.

Well as for speed according to encyclopedia stats, the midway is incredibly slow(80 kps. while the kilrathi hvar'khan travels at 100kps). Is there anything known about the hakaga's speed? It's always nice to be able to retreat if you couldn't win it in the slugfest.

With no plasma weapon, and unable to outrun the hakaga, the midway would be at a severe disadvantage. The hakaga is likely to be more durable.

I don't know about you guys, but I was swatting Vaktoths and Dralthi like flies in the simulator. Are the WCP-era fighters facing off against WC3-era kat fighters? That would make a huge difference.

hmmmmm I would have to say with blair on thier side...... Midway! He just seems to be able to load until he gets it right!

Hmm, Star*Soldier lists 'heavy ion cannons (6)' under weapons. I don't think the ICIS manual says how many.

Looks like the Midway got an upgrade then since 2681. But I am pretty sure the ICIS manual says six medium ion cannons: it's in Rachel's article about the Midway. The German version has it, only with eight instead of six. But my English version is at my parent's, so I don't have access to it at the moment and you're in California. Maybe someone else can check? Or maybe it's not that important.

Edit: Oh, and I voted for the Hakaga. It has more fighters and so many point defense weapons that htting with a torpedo should be very hard. Of course, I am assuming that Kilrathi fighters and pilots are equivalent in quality.

I just read Rachel's article this is what she says about the Midway’s weapons

“its offensive capabilities include laser turrets and missile stations, for anti-fighter defense, plus medium ion cannon turrets for slugfests against other cap ships”

It doesn’t say how many medium ion cannons are on the Midway just that it has them.
I didn’t go through the entire ICIS manual so there could be more information somewhere else.

Edit: Oh, and I voted for the Hakaga. It has more fighters and so many point defense weapons that htting with a torpedo should be very hard. Of course, I am assuming that Kilrathi fighters and pilots are equivalent in quality.

The only known complements of Hakagas have been the best of the best the Kilrathi have to offer. I'm sure they are the equal if not better than the pilots the Midway would have to offer.

I just read Rachel's article this is what she says about the Midway’s weapons

“its offensive capabilities include laser turrets and missile stations, for anti-fighter defense, plus medium ion cannon turrets for slugfests against other cap ships”

It doesn’t say how many medium ion cannons are on the Midway just that it has them.
I didn’t go through the entire ICIS manual so there could be more information somewhere else.

Thanks for checking but I am really startled. Normally my memory is not the most reliable but here I am really sure that I read it in the ICIS manual, in Rachel's article. I mean it's there in the German version (even giving numbers for the laser turrets and missile stations) and while translators often take some freedom, that would strike me as very weird. I'll be at my parent's on friday, I'll check my English manual.
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I have the Pacific version? :confused:

The only known complements of Hakagas have been the best of the best the Kilrathi have to offer. I'm sure they are the equal if not better than the pilots the Midway would have to offer.

So I am even more inclined to think that the Hakaga will win.

Is there a place on the box or in the game files that tells the version of the game? I got mine off ebay and I have no idea what version it is.

It's the man, not the machine.............

Obviously pilot skill is very important but countries wouldn’t spend millions of dollars researching new aircraft if the machine wasn’t also important.

Back