Guinness Book of World Records - Gamers Edition

If this is supposed to be a book of records, then I think the records ought to be grouped by category (e.g. "first to do X", or "most sales" or "most revenue" etc.) rather than being grouped by franchise.

I agree...it is a bit confusing when it is laid out this way. It's difficult at first glance to discern the records from the rest of the "did you know..." facts.

Truth be told though, I wouldn't mind a book focused on the "did you know..." part to my favorite games.

Remember when the Guiness Book of World Records was this fat little almost-newsprint book that only the cool kids would get at the Elementary School book fair?

She aint pretty no more.

Remember when the Guiness Book of World Records was this fat little almost-newsprint book that only the cool kids would get at the Elementary School book fair?

She aint pretty no more.

And every year you just had to have the latest edition to see if that guy in India had cut his nails yet.

She aint pretty no more.

Heheheheh, I do remenber those old ones. We used to have a bunch of them in my school's library.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the longest running computer gaming fanbase would be star trek :p

Untrue, the Star Trek fandom was replaced with a group of unpleasant people whose least favorite thing in the world is Star Trek roughly a decade ago.

A decade ago as in 1998?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EGA_Trek

By my count, that gives ST a 27 year reign that goes on longer than computers that were able to run Wing Commander...

I used to love the EGA Trek port of the old game- my dad had it on our 286 back in the day, and eventually I learned the craft. It was somewhat dumbed down, but easier to play overall- a good tradeoff if anyone asks me. (especially since a smart 8 year old could pick it up).

I'm not sure how to read your post, LOAF- the wording allows me to take it several different ways, all of which make sense one way or another and are unfortunate, at least to me. Star Trek was my dad's hobby that got me into sci-fi; another tiny link that led me to WC, however indirectly.

At any rate, I'd like to note that I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or attacking or anything- I can see a few people have gotten under your skin lately, and I'm not trying to be one of them... (I'm probably being paranoid, really. But I know I often come across as a jerk regardless.)

I love Star Trek - it's one of my favorite things in the world... but the online fanbase has degraded terribly in recent years. We watched Star Trek fans kill their own show without even realizing what they'd done -- it was absolutely disgraceful.

Someone needs to build a positive Star Trek online hub.

LOAF definately has a point here. I looked at some Webpages and... well..... I left them...

But another thing about Star Trek:
I was in a Star Trek LARP-Group / Fan club in my hometown about 10 years ago, but I didn't want to go on like they did. They just went crazy and "imported" a lot of dumb things from other universes, changing the whole experience in something un-trekkieish. And there was a fight the whole time. I hated it. (maybe that was also the reason why things online went bad.)

Concerning Star Trek itself: I was a really big fan of TNG and DS9, and I liked the classic series and the movies (perhaps except the 10th, it wasn't that good.), Voyager was ok, but became worse every season. But I strongly disliked the new "Enterprise"-series. IMHO (sorry if somebody here is a great fan, no offense meant) it destroys the whole universe.
For example: Picard has a model of every ship called Enterprise in his room, but not of that one. Why? It didn't exist! We just had become familiar with the canonical explanations between classic and TNG (Klingons appearance, for example :D ) and now we have this. :( I don't watch the series anymore and I don't call myself a "real" Star Trek Fan anymore, I just enjoy the old series and think of the good times I had with them.
It is really sad... :(

Well, this is exactly what I'm talking about - the Star Trek fan base taught you that it somehow matters that there's no gold model of the Enterprise from the prequel show (or that such a thing could even be expected!) It *doesn't* matter! Storytelling, being entertained, exploring new ideas... the wonder of it all. Those are the important things. But instead of a community that understands any of that we now have a bunch of guys who sit around on the internet insisting that a television show is somehow 'destroying' another television show by not providing enough (or... the right kind?) of 'continuity'. What does that even mean?!

Continuity is a fun thing -- but it's one point among many that should never have become definitive. If anything, it's a flashy drug that distracts you from how and why a show is good. Ask yourself: all those years ago when you loved ST:TNG... did you do so because it was especially careful about being 'in continuity' with the original series, or did you love it because it was well made, it had great acting, it told interesting stories and it was something new? Was that summer between Best of Both Worlds I and II so long because of *continuity*? No, it was because the show was so compelling and because we wanted to see more of it for its own sake.

... but if at the end of the day you really believe that continuity is the most important thing to a Star Trek story, then I still fail to see how you can complain about Enterprise -- they gave people *exactly* that with the last season, which as a massive collection of continuity-based stories (to the point of being over the top, I would argue.)

The point is, though, how can a TV show possibly make you feel bad? It's not yelling at you, it's not criticizing you... it was well made, it was fun, it told interesting stories. The worst epsiode of Voyager was still worth an hour of my time and just the idea that I could turn on the TV each week and see a new adventure was amazing. But then the "community" decided that the important thing in all this was poorly constructed base criticism and they ruined that experience. I think it's a crying shame that my kids won't get to enjoy new Star Trek episodes like I did growing up because of a bunch of unpleasant nerds who thought too highly of themselves.

(Edited as an aside -- when I was a boy continuity was essentially a *game*. You pointed out 'problems' with a show because it was a fun mental excersize. More of a 'look how much I know about the old show!' sort of thing. Today it's some kind of deadly serious game that decides whether a show lives or dies. What the *heck* happened?)

Jep, you're right, maybe I feel too much "attacked" by the new series because as a kid I watched TNG (I'm not that old, you know, I grew up with TNG (and then a little bit Classic) and for me there is always TNG (and a little bit Classic) in my head.
I guess I was a continuity freak, yes. I felt good in a universe with a good continuity.
I don't really hate the new series, I think I'm just... sad that it was so... bad in some things. I expected it to be better. So probably I don't see the good sides it has. (Have to watch it completely one day...)

(Edited as an aside -- when I was a boy continuity was essentially a *game*. You pointed out 'problems' with a show because it was a fun mental excersize. More of a 'look how much I know about the old show!' sort of thing. Today it's some kind of deadly serious game that decides whether a show lives or dies. What the *heck* happened?)

I noticed that, too!
I don't know what happened. It is one of the main reasons for fights in SF communities. (It isn't different here! There will be some people complaining when I say: "Kilrathi ships are assymetrical in WC3 and symmetrical in WC1 out of engine reasons" od "The designers thought that round ships in WC2 could look cooler, there is no reason ingame")
It's a sad thing that people start to argue so fast. They should keep cool...

I don't know what happened. It is one of the main reasons for fights in SF communities. (It isn't different here! There will be some people complaining when I say: "Kilrathi ships are assymetrical in WC3 and symmetrical in WC1 out of engine reasons" od "The designers thought that round ships in WC2 could look cooler, there is no reason ingame")
It's a sad thing that people start to argue so fast. They should keep cool...

Yes -- to me, it's not so much the argument itself as it is what people have decided the *meaning* of the argument is. It's the last leap in judgement that's the problem -- the jump from 'Kilrathi ships are designed differently in later games' or 'Enterprise used a cloaking device before TOS said they were invented' to 'therefore it is awful and we must not enjoy it.'

Argument done correctly is a perfectly pleasant thing - an intelligent sport that works to keep your mind working... you just can't take what you're talking about too seriously, or at least not more seriously than the more sublime elements of the work.

wasn't pleased with the organization myself, but at least if they had to lay it out like that, that dedicated a section to Trackmania. Love that game.

Also, aren't we getting terribly far off topic?

Right, but there ARE topics in off topic.
IIRC Off topic just means it is not about Wing Commander.

Back