Gratha yet again.

Michelle D

Captain
This time I'm a little more pleased with the model matching the original artwork.

Gratha_p09a.jpg

Gratha_p09b.jpg

Gratha_p09c.jpg

Gratha_p09d.jpg

Gratha_p09e.jpg

thank you :D

Small update before I start texturing the model with more detail.

I'm wondering about the two pods under the wings. If they are missile launchers, decoy launchers, fuel tanks, landing skids, or the mass drivers the Gratha is supposed to have.

Gratha_p09d.jpg

Gratha_p09e.jpg

thank you :D

Small update before I start texturing the model with more detail.

I'm wondering about the two pods under the wings. If they are missile launchers, decoy launchers, fuel tanks, landing skids, or the mass drivers the Gratha is supposed to have.

Welcome :D

I always thought the pods were missile launchers, but that's just me...seems to be the most logical place from where that design would toss 'em from.

Looks like an excellent start! I know this baby is one of your favorites, so I'm sure you'll do her justice. Can't wait to see the textures!

Nice looking work!

I always had this feeling that the interpretation of the gratha from the original blueprints to the final game model somehow got mixed up... Check out the blueprints:

https://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/images/Cm-gratha.jpg

It really seemed to me that the cockpit was placed BELOW the main octagon shaped section (mostly interpreted to be an engine intake or something)... I remember browsing through the manual when I first purchased wc1 all those years ago and thinking that was a cool design, then was disappointed when the in-game model clearly showed a cockpit at the front of the craft.

Ah well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Previewa.png

Previewd.png

Previewc.png

So far just the ambient occlusion, some engine detail, and three Kilrathi characters.

I changed the mesh some tool.

Previewf.png

okay so I'm trying out a bump map for some surface detail. I used the Super Wing Commander box art for the 3DO as a design and color reference.

The grating on the back looks a bit out of place, probably because I tried to add something that didn't reflect the box art. :(

The grating on the back looks a bit out of place, probably because I tried to add something that didn't reflect the box art. :(
Whenever you add something that wasn't originally there, you might generate a difference of opinion. I happen to like this addition a lot, however. Very nice. :)

Don't know what software you are using, but there is an excellent free plug-in from nVidia for photoshop called xNormal - will give you a whole lot of tools for creating normal maps, which can often give you a better result than a bump map.

http://www.xnormal.net/Downloads.aspx

Probably a whole bunch of info on that site on how to use it if you're not familiar with normal maps.

Looking good so far, can't wait to see your next step (or even next project!)

Actually, it doesn't look out of place...looks like an improvement, at least to me. Like it's venting for engine cooling or somesuch.

I quite agree with Wedge, the lighting makes a huge difference in detail levels, even if it's more perception than much else. This is awesome to see how well it's come along.

Back