Gothri Question

What Dund and NT are referring to is that what fans think is "cool" is not often (I'm hesitant to say "never", but it's probably pretty close) what makes for good gameplay. Contrary to what a lot of gamers (especially internet ones) might think, limitations can be a good thing, and "more" doesn't always mean "better".

They over did it when it came to "extras." Instead of being balanced they are just throw everything under the sun into the player's face. It doesn't make for a good experience.

...arrgh, stupid system wiping out my typing! No problem about typos, not that I saw any anyway.

The Dralthi VII. I have two questions, only one of which is directly on point. First, how do we know that's a new model and not, say, the Dralthi III? Was that in the Arena manual? Second, if it's a new model, why use the older weapons and shields? If you're going to the trouble to build a brand new spaceframe and design, why use equipment that is going to get the bird zapped in one hit by any modern fighter (like an Arrow)? For that matter, why not deploy the new weapons, at least, to make it a more effective fighter and seize a temporary advantage by either blocking Confed's flow of resources (a strategy the Cats were starting to use, IIRC) or forcing them to divert front-line gear to Gemini to stop you? I know the Kilrathi don't think in the same strategic terms humans do, but there's alien thinking and there's just plain stupid. This is verging on the latter, at least to me.

I think one thing that most if not all the Wing Commander games except Privateer to an extent, they don't show that some newer technology also have there faults. I mean think of WW2 fighters it may sound silly or whatever but the guns heated up......they jammed......they got shot off etc....etc....missiles aren't 100% accurate etc..etc... point really being that it's hard for example like a Fusion Cannon to have been developed for the masses let's say due to manufacturer cost or somethin like that or maybe some type of technology faults that didn't make it to large scale production who knows really......I mean the WC universe always has like a big gun that supposedly could be used hundreds of thousands of times and it gets used once. I.E: WC2 Concordia gun, Prophecy Midway Plasma Gun....those types of things.... it's like in the movies Spaceballs there's a quote by Rick Moranis (Darth Helmet) "F*ck even in the future nothing works" when he goes to look for the self destruct thing towards the end of the movie....but tyou get the point...alot of WC is open to speculation

Well, the Concordia's Phase-Transit Cannon gets used a lot in-game in capship battles, but only once in a cutscene.

And I was under the impression that even the one time the Midway fired the shipkiller cannon, it was under huge risk of just plain exploding, and then they just didn't want to risk it again.

Yea I thought the Concordias Gun gets used while in game too but only in one cutscene but wasn't also out of commission for use after like twice or somethin? Oh another big technology thing too "The Behemoth" :) But point being with every new technology comes a price...that's why those lasers are so darn reliable they've been tested and used for so looooooong :)

Yea I thought the Concordias Gun gets used while in game too but only in one cutscene but wasn't also out of commission for use after like twice or somethin?

It has no problem firing multiple consecutive times in the game. The problem is that people don't know the full circumstances surrounding the cutscene that it appears in. Everyone is stressed in that clip because they say the gun could backfire, but this could easily be the result of unrelated damage sustained to that point.

I really doubt that it's viable for navies to build ships that might suddenly explode when trying to fire their main weapon. Imagine if the US Navy had a class of battleship that had a giant cannon but Captains were advised not to fire it because it might sink the ship. That would just be plain silly.

The PTC had to be a tried and tested weapon for it to become a design feature on a class of ships.

The Kilrathi Saga manual refers to some kind of problem, but we don't really know the full nature of it and whether it interelates with that (in)famous WC2 cutscene at all.

Yes, in the cutscene the claim was that because full power wasn't available, they might blow the reactor, not that the reactor might blow if full power WAS available.

Back