Got some fried 3.5: disks - anyone got a couple of files??

I was backing up my old DOS games onto a CD (yeah, yeah I shoulda done it sooner but ya know how life gets in the way of playing... :D) and lo and behold one of my Privateer disks and one Armada disk are now only good for target practice.
So could anyone send me either of these two files or tell me where I might find them?

main006 & type (armada disk 6)
gameflow.tre (privateer disks 3-5)
(this one is 7 meg, so a .ZIP would be very apprecieated =)

to: mahkina@msn.com

Thanks folks!! =)

I think I could send you the Armada files. My Priv diskettes are a bit screwed up themselves but perhaps an the Priv1 CD version the file is also available and compatible. I will check and report back later.

OK I can send you the main006 file for Armada but I cannot find any gameflow.tre file on the CD. There is a priv.tre but it is over 80megs large so I will not emal it to you :).

But where to?

SW, keep in mind that there are significant differences between the floppy version and the CD version. One of the reasons PRIV.TRE is so large is that it contains all of the voice data for the game, which wouldn't be found in the floppy version.

How is it illegal if the game's not being sold anymore? I mean, i'm trying to get the source code for Privateer, how's that different than aquiring the game free?

And even if it were, no one should have to pay for Privateer, it's a classic!

Wait, wait, wait, hold up. Please explain to me how it's illegal. That's just like saying the old Duke Nukems or Commander Keens are illegal to download off the net just because you saw them floating around. It doesn't make any sense. From a financial standpoint (and really, that's all that determines legality) Origin is losing no money from the player to player distribution.

What about source code, do you feel that it should be concealed to the public, never released? If so we'll never get Privateer to run perfectly in Windows, something many of us want. Not to be blatantly offensive here, but I think you need to modify your hypocritical view towards "abandonware."

Abandonware, is just a fancy word some pirates made up, to make what they do (which is stealing) seem less evil.:)

There are copyrights, and all that crap, which make this illegal. We don't really like anyone posting links to any warez sites and such, or even mentioning piracy.

Originally posted by Farfel
Wait, wait, wait, hold up. Please explain to me how it's illegal. That's just like saying the old Duke Nukems or Commander Keens are illegal to download off the net just because you saw them floating around. It doesn't make any sense. From a financial standpoint (and really, that's all that determines legality) Origin is losing no money from the player to player distribution.
Well, if the financial standpoint had anything to do with what's legal and what ain't, you'd have a point. However, I fail to see how the financial standpoint determines legality.

What about source code, do you feel that it should be concealed to the public, never released?
That's got nothing to do with abandonware. The source code won't let you get the game for free. If you like, I can even send you priv.exe, and we can see how much success you have running it without the rest of the game files.

Not to be blatantly offensive here, but I think you need to modify your hypocritical view towards "abandonware."
I think you need to explain in what way our views are hypocritical.

My hypocrit point was that one of your guys' goal is to obviously spread the WC universe to other people, allowing them to enjoy what we've enjoyed for years. However, it's impossible to "spread" the joy when there's no way to currently obtain the games in any reasonable sense.

If financial situation doesn't determine legality, what does? And when I said source code, I meant the entire game...what use would I have with just priv.exe if the problem lies elsewhere.

Copyright laws determine legality, and the copyright laws make no mention regarding whether or not the copyright holder is currently selling the product; hence, the financial situation on the copyright holder's side has nothing to do with legality. Heck, even the continued existence of the copyright holder has nothing to do with legality; copyrights exist and are supposedly enforced even after the death of the copyright holder. I'm not sure how long they exist -- they do expire eventually -- but they do exist.

Believe me, we'd like nothing more than to declare all WC games free of charge and distribute them to whoever wants them, but it's not our property to do with as we please.

Stinger is quite correct - if only we were allowed to distribute games for free, we'd be very happy to.

My hypocrit point was that one of your guys' goal is to obviously spread the WC universe to other people, allowing them to enjoy what we've enjoyed for years. However, it's impossible to "spread" the joy when there's no way to currently obtain the games in any reasonable sense.
The CIC provides as much help as it legally can for people hunting for WC products. There is no hypocrisy in stopping there (there is some hypocrisy in distributing End Run, but more on that in the other thread).

As for source code... all that source code is, is the exe file. The other stuff has nothing to do with source code. If you think that somebody releasing source code for a game would also release all the other files, you are gravely mistaken.

Back