Good Old Games vs. Original Releases -- Differences and Similarities

BonkusMaximus82

1st Lieutenant
Salutations, fellow CIC members!

For those who have enjoyed the original releases of the Wing Commander Universe as well as the GoG downloads, are there any significant (to you) differences between the two?

Also, when playing Wing Commander I and II, do the sounds from the GoG version resemble those from 1990-91 (DOS) or 1996 (KS release for Windows 95)? I ask because the laser cannon/ neutron gun sounds as played in KS felt like a form of aural punishment versus the DOS version.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Hello!

The only difference I've experienced with the GOG versions is that it may not 'feel' exactly like the way you remember. Back in the day, the speed of the combat varied a great deal from machine to machine... so running them on a modern computer may feel just slightly off. Unfortunately, the only way to fix that is running the game on a vintage machine that matches your original setup!

It will sound like the DOS version instead of Kilrathi Saga. In terms of the software itself the GOG version is the MS-DOS original 'pre set up' with a copy of DOSBox... so all the game data (music, graphics, mechanics, etc.) is the same as it ever was. I believe the games are is set up for Sound Blaster sound out of the installer, but you can also modify it to run MUNT if you prefer the MT-32 music.

Thank you for the info, Bandit! I'll get a digital copy of all of the games as soon as I get my new computer set up, and I might get an additional copy as a birthday present for my dad. He introduced me to the WC games in 1991, so I think this might be a fun way for us to compete against each other again and see who can top the killboard, lol

Back