Good news, everyone!

Bob McDob

Better Health Through Less Flavor
No, really, this *is* good news - at least if you care a whit about the historical preservation of models. Yeah, if you saw the other post I made, you know what this is - the Fralthra cruiser lives again!

For whatever reason, when the original Origin models of the ships from Wing Commander II to Privateer were passed down from On High, one ship came through with less than sparkling results - the Fralthra. In fact, if you loaded it into some programs, it wouldn't appear at all, which spawned fears that the model itself was lost for good - thankfully, that's not the case. When Marc created his replica of the model, he used the original as a baseline, but was only able to come up with the model's vertices (edges of the actual 3D model, like trying to connect the dots, though fortunately the model is so high-resolution there's no real ambiguity in figuring out what the end result is). I don't know which model he used - the one that was released individually as part of a competition, or that came as part of the great model pack released last year (I can't even load the second one), so that might explain part of it - the other explanation is that the modeling program he used, and which I used to load it up (AC3D) has made leaps and bounds to actually make sense of things. Either way is fine by me.

So yeah, I'm pretty excited and not really able to write anything sensible here, these are just words to fill in where words should go. The next step obviously is to actually put the textures back on, but there are some problems with that, as anything I try to put on shows up sheer black (this might be a symptom of a larger problem - when I try to view the wireframes in 3ds Max the entire ship disappears like some kind of Incredible Cloaking Cruiser, which leads me to suspect the entire model may still have errors in it). I'm not really used to this kind of thing even under the best circumstances, though, I've been trying for some time to get the Concordia's bridge restored but the textures won't even show up in the material editor. Anyway, that's enough for now.

(The bottom part of the pylon is there - the rendering just makes it looks like it isn't; I was pretty giddy and didn't really bother to filter around to make the absolute best render I could.)

That's really great - I think she'll live to fight again...

I ask you all now - who among you will breathe life in to her?!

Nice...

All kidding aside - do we know if Kilrathi ships are typically male over female? I know it has been done in our history; Germany, for example, referred to naval vessels as 'he' during WWII.

I think FC tells us that the Kilrathi refer to their ships as male.

BTW, while I probably can't totally grasp why it's great to have this model back, I am glad it's back and congratulate you :).

All kidding aside - do we know if Kilrathi ships are typically male over female? I know it has been done in our history; Germany, for example, referred to naval vessels as 'he' during WWII.

Mekt-Hakkikt said:
I think FC tells us that the Kilrathi refer to their ships as male.

Yeah False Colors makes this style clear. The Kilrathi (and eventually the crew of the Mjnollnir) talk about their ships in the masculine. Another way of making the two races different in regards to culture.

Another thing I noticed, although I'm not sure if it was intended or not, is that the Karga/Mjnollnir is discussed as having a hangar deck where fighters are stored when not in use. I don't believe we ever hear the same in regards to Confed carriers but it's another parallel to the Pacific War.

The IJN never utilized the "deck park" when it came to aircraft storage. Planes were armed and fueled below decks (the only exception being the D3A Val dive-bomber, but that was because of its size and non-folding wings) and only brought onto the flight deck for engine warm-up prior to launch.

The USN only utilized the hangar space for maintenance instead of storage space. By storing planes on deck they were able to increase the size of the air group as well as the speed of flight deck operations.

Well, if ships of war are thought of as warriors in and of themselves, then it would make a lot of sense that the Kilrathi would have considered them to be male as well.

The IJN never utilized the "deck park" when it came to aircraft storage. Planes were armed and fueled below decks (the only exception being the D3A Val dive-bomber, but that was because of its size and non-folding wings) and only brought onto the flight deck for engine warm-up prior to launch.

The Japanese definitely had interesting ideas for carrier operations. I think one of the more unique approaches was the original version of the Akagi, before her "late war" appearence. The Japanese experimented with using the top level for recovery - and the hangar deck as a means to launch the aircraft. The carrier ended up having three different decks equipped to handle aircraft. Needless to say, the results were less than optimal, but the legacy (ie below deck storage) certainly carried over to the single deck flight ops that ensued later.

Bob,

When I first saw this, I thought it might be a "I just saved hundreds of dollars by switching to gecko!" joke...but then I opened it and saw the Fralthra in all its winged, wicked evil glory! Great model!

The Japanese definitely had interesting ideas for carrier operations. I think one of the more unique approaches was the original version of the Akagi, before her "late war" appearence. The Japanese experimented with using the top level for recovery - and the hangar deck as a means to launch the aircraft. The carrier ended up having three different decks equipped to handle aircraft. Needless to say, the results were less than optimal, but the legacy (ie below deck storage) certainly carried over to the single deck flight ops that ensued later.

That was such an exciting time in Aviation history! If you ever get the chance, look for some of the documentaries on the early aircraft carriers...I've got a couple for the U.S. Navy (one for the USS Hornet, the other is called "First Flattops" and is about CV-1 through CV-4, the Langley, Ranger, Lady Lex, and Saratoga) and they're absolutely fascinating. They were literally making it up and writing it down as they went along. If you watch footage of the carriers in the US PacFlt from later in the war, it's obvious that they've learned how best to do things...but in 1932-1942, they were innovating on everything from catapults to arrestor cables to placement of the elevators...landing operations, hangar operations, ship handling while operating aircraft...it was so NEW. Really really good stuff!

Their use of the hangar deck for storage more has to do with a British envoy to Japan during the interwar years. But I do agree the early layouts of Akagi and Kaga are an interesting stepping stone in carrier development.

But we are kind of splitting the thread here...

True enough -

So here's my feeble attempt at bringing everyone back on course. Bob McDob, do we have any models of the Rigakh? I would love to face that ship in battle someday - or at least see a new rendering of it. What was the ultimate fate of this cruiser?

True enough -

So here's my feeble attempt at bringing everyone back on course. Bob McDob, do we have any models of the Rigakh? I would love to face that ship in battle someday - or at least see a new rendering of it. What was the ultimate fate of this cruiser?

You will face the Rigakh one day. Try the losing path of Standoff's ep4. The last splash screen is revealing...

Back