GOG vs Originals In DosBox

ELTEE

Vice Admiral
Hey guys,

2 quick questions!

1. This stems from being forced to step away from reality for a while - looking to have GOG explained to me in a bit more detail. I have WC1 and 2 in original DOS formats that I run in DosBox frequently - is there any difference between what I'm doing and what GOG offers?

I'm looking to replace my stolen WC3 and WC4 and think GOG is the answer!

2. I've never been able to get my hands on SM1 and 2 for WC - so I've never played through them! It's the only missing link for me in the whole of the WC universe. My copy of WC1 is supposedly the CD-Rom that contains SM also, but there's no data for it on the disk.

There's a copy of this on ebay I'm thinking of springing for - does SM1 and 2 actually work from the CD-ROM? Is it possible I just got a bad copy back in the day?

Thanks all!

If you have the original DOS versions of WC1 and WC2, then there is no difference between what you have and the GOG version. And the GOG versions currently don't include the expansions, so you may want to keep your versions so you can install them.

As for SM1 and SM2, if its the CD version of Wing Commander or the deluxe edition that includes WC1 and WC2, it should have them. If its WC bundled with another game, then it may not have the expansions.

The WC deluxe cd's have 3 installers on them as i recall, I'd need to check to be sure, but i think you need to install the sm's seperately to the main game.

Glancing at my WC1/2 Deluxe CD (sorry I don't have a plain wc1 cd to check) it looks like there are 3 batch files, make_wc, make_sm1 and make_sm2. Hope that helps

Hmm, I'll really have to check again. Each time I've tried to get SM to work it's ended in failure. I really tried in earnest 3 years ago or so to find the SM add ons in floppies, but I obviously failed in that attempt.

I have two copies on CD, one actually documents on it actually having SM1&2, but only the real EA deluxe versions feature the secret missions. Maybe the guys on GOG should try to get the add-ons back in while the release is still fresh....

Back