GOG Kicks Off Summer Savings (May 31, 2019)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
It's GOG's Summer Sale Festival, so that means discounts on your favorite Wing Commander and Origin games. It's a 75% savings in most cases, so individual titles (plus expansions and extras!) are $1.49 or the entire series is $11.92, which is a flippin' steal. As we noted earlier in the year, most of the series has Cloud Saves for people using the GOG Galaxy client. We know the vast majority of you already own all these, but if there's one missing from your collection, now's the time to try it. It's also a great opportunity to buy a digital WC gift for friends.

Give these other Origin games a try if they're new to you!

--
Original update published on May 31, 2019

I wonder why Pacific Strike hasn't found it's way on Gog yet?
There was a conversation about Pacific Strike here a few weeks ago, though blast me, I don't recall the thread. Back in the day, Origin pretty much officially gave up on Pacific Strike - it was badly mangled on release, and they promised a patch that would fix it, but eventually they realised that the patch would take longer than it was worth. So, they cancelled the patch and offered refunds to whoever wanted to return the game (or something along those lines, more or less).

Now, you'd think that none of this matters twenty-five years down the track, and that GOG has released many other less-than-perfect titles, and there certainly is demand for them - if only from people who want to see all the games of a given type or developer for history's sake. And maybe none of this does matter - maybe there's an entirely different reason why GOG doesn't offer Pacific Strike. But given that they have pretty much every other Origin product of the period, and the only one they don't have happens to be the only one that got pulled…

GOG licensed specific games from EA that they thought would be most profitable and unfortunately they haven't made a second deal.

In addition to Pacific Strike, they also skipped Wings of Glory, Cybermage, Shadowcaster, Abuse and the two Longbows (and everything before 1990 that wasn't an Ultima.)

Can anyone make a recommendation for a controller/joystick for the WC games? It's been a long time since I've played them.
If it makes any difference, I'm running Win 7 and will likely be upgrading to win10 in around 6 months.

I use a Logitech flight stick extreme 3D pro, have been for the last 15 years or so. Same Joystick I use for Star Lancer, and Star Citizen when I'm on my gaming laptop.

Relatively inexpensive at around 30-40 USD but good bang for your buck I've found.

Definitely feels more solid then the Saitek x56 I picked up last winter. In my opinion the material on the x56 feels like it's cheap plastic in several places.

Last edited:
Dang nabbit!
I remember enjoying Pacific Strike very much.

There was a conversation about Pacific Strike here a few weeks ago, though blast me, I don't recall the thread. Back in the day, Origin pretty much officially gave up on Pacific Strike - it was badly mangled on release, and they promised a patch that would fix it, but eventually they realised that the patch would take longer than it was worth. So, they cancelled the patch and offered refunds to whoever wanted to return the game (or something along those lines, more or less).

Now, you'd think that none of this matters twenty-five years down the track, and that GOG has released many other less-than-perfect titles, and there certainly is demand for them - if only from people who want to see all the games of a given type or developer for history's sake. And maybe none of this does matter - maybe there's an entirely different reason why GOG doesn't offer Pacific Strike. But given that they have pretty much every other Origin product of the period, and the only one they don't have happens to be the only one that got pulled…
GOG licensed specific games from EA that they thought would be most profitable and unfortunately they haven't made a second deal.

In addition to Pacific Strike, they also skipped Wings of Glory, Cybermage, Shadowcaster, Abuse and the two Longbows (and everything before 1990 that wasn't an Ultima.)

I would think the Longbows would be huge on GOG.

It's possible they'd have to remove the branding to sell them, which might be beyond their abilities. (Steam still has Jane's 688i and Fleet Command, but removes the Jane's name from both.)

I use a Logitech flight stick extreme 3D pro, have been for the last 15 years or so. Same Joystick I use for Star Lancer, and Star Citizen when I'm on my gaming laptop.

Relatively inexpensive at around 30-40 USD but good bang for your buck I've found.

Definitely feels more solid then the Saitek x56 I picked up last winter. In my opinion the material on the x56 feels like it's cheap plastic in several places.

Thanks. I looked at that one on Amazon and it looks cool. Amazon has them for like $34, too. The last time I used a joystick was in the early 2000s! It was something that I got with Mechwarrior 2, and was one of the first to have the throttle slider, the twisting action, and the hat switch... Plus Mechwarrior 2 was also built to take advantage of all those features. Having all those controls in one hand, instead of just the two-button version, was way cool.

Back