Ghorah Khar 2-D: Hard, Or Maddeningly Impossible?

Saturnyne

Vice Admiral
For those who don't remember, this is the (technically second-) last mission in Special Ops 1. I'll go over it for those who are as old as LOAF; your memories prob'ly ain't workin' right. ;)

In Sabres, you and Hobbes fly to Nav 1, where you meet with two Sartha fighters, and rendevous with Bear's wing. I've noticed that you have to destroy the Sartha really REALLY fast (Or with your turret), or the entire wing will gun you down MERCILESSLY.

At Nav 2, the Kilrathi strike force consisting of like, 4 Gothri and 2 Fralthra with maddeningly active anti-matter cannons. All 4 Gothri swarm you, which means your wing also swarms you. If you can survive the barrage of fire from 4 Gothri as well as 3 other Sabres, you then have to take down the two Fralthra.

Taking down the Fralthra is nearly impossible. Not only do they fire those anti-matter guns with disheartening precision, they fire them OFTEN. And right at you. Two hits from these cannons is enough to kill you. And to top it all off, they're there to take you down, so they turn around all the time to be sure you're always to their front.

I've had a situation where all my wingmen are dead (which happens FAST when they attack the Fralthra), all the Gothri are dead, my armor is pretty much gone, one Fralthra is toast, and the remaining one needs but one torp and it's all over. How? Well, one little thing I found is that when your torpedo is close to locking, moving towards the Fralthra at about 100 kps, it will fire its anti-matter guns wide of you.

Except for when all that's left is one Fralthra that needs only one torp to die. Suddenly, the anti-matter gunner gets very accurate, resulting in the need to lose your torp lock, get away from a Fralthra that's chasing you while dodging more anti-matter shots from behind.

In conclusion:

There are two ways to die in this mission - Your wing will kill you no questions asked, or face the Fralthra for 2 seconds.

There HAS to be someone out there who has a tip that's better than what's in the game guides. Anyone? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: What is the maximum range that a torpedo can be fired at a cap ship?

Saturnyne said:
What is the maximum range that a torpedo can be fired at a cap ship?

As long as you can get a lock you can fire the Torpedo. You should be able to hang back just out of range of the flak cannons (somewhere around 10000k) but firing from this range it is very likely that the torpedo will be destroyed before it gets there.

Well IIRC

1)Obviously, destroy the fighters first.
2)park outside Fraltha AA guns range and wait till the torpedoe lock, i'm not sure but i think that the AA guns range is minor than the torpedo one

take as much distance from the capships as possible, finish of the fighters
out of range of the AMG's.

after you are done, close back in on the capships but keep them on one line
(so that one can not fire it's antimatter gun without hitting his buddy)
destroy the first one, while you send your wing after the second one,
if he manages to take it down before you destroy the first one, tell him
to join you in the attack.

That mission is really hard, if not the hardest in Wing Commander game, besides the Kurasawa Ralari mission. This is without setting difficulty levels.

Kurasawa 2 isn't really that bad. In theory you can avoid having to score three of the torpedo hits in this mission. Line them up, let Fralthra A hit Fralthi B, reverse and let Fralthra B hit Fralthra A, then repeat. And you've got one damaged Fralthra left. It's more difficult than that because they're moving and you have to dodge the AMG shots of the nearer Fralthra, but it might be something different to try.

Yeah, it's tough staying on one said of a Fralthra when it's always got its AMG's pointed at you. Two shots and you're toast. Although, having to weather your own wing gunning you down means a flak blast will kill you in one shot.

Saturnyne said:
Yeah, it's tough staying on one said of a Fralthra when it's always got its AMG's pointed at you. Two shots and you're toast. Although, having to weather your own wing gunning you down means a flak blast will kill you in one shot.

If your not relying on them to keep the fighters off your tail, why not order them back to base? Or better take out the enemy fighters, then order your wingmen home, and lastly take out the capships

That's what I did to ace this mission.
First: Engage and destroy the enemy fighters far out from the capships. If you can't evade friendly fire at this point, I laugh at thee, because it's pretty late in the game.
Second: at 12000k, lock torpedo.
Third: Punch your burners, full speed, hit the torpedo button around 2500k and keep burning full bore (Pull up or IIRC you die). He won't get the AMG shot off until you're BEHIND him. Just keep burning - the shot will have hit his nose anyway, he'll turn about for you. Get back out to 12000k, lock on, repeat. Do this for the second capship, and your'e done. :)

I did this mission with no damage using that method. :)

Aron, if I try that and it works, I will appoint you to be my Official Wing Commander II: Vengeance Of The Kilrathi: Special Operations 1 Guru (tm).

Otherwise, I'll have to officially declare this mission impossible.

One of the main problems I have is that they're firing their AMG's seconds before my torp can complete its lock, which means that I have to veer out of the way and lose my lock.

One trick I've found though, is that when you're close to the Fralthra and they're in your targeting VDU, you can switch to your torps, lock onto the ships, then fly out to like, 16000 kliks and sit there waiting for the torp to lock, since the targeting system is still locked on the ship. Theoretically, I could get close, lock on, zoom out to 15000 kliks, lock on the torp, zoom in and do what Aron suggests.

But I hate that word, "theoretically".

Man, what deranged things I'd do for a Mace in this mission.

ChrisReid said:
Kurasawa 2 isn't really that bad. In theory you can avoid having to score three of the torpedo hits in this mission. Line them up, let Fralthra A hit Fralthi B, reverse and let Fralthra B hit Fralthra A, then repeat. And you've got one damaged Fralthra left. It's more difficult than that because they're moving and you have to dodge the AMG shots of the nearer Fralthra, but it might be something different to try.

Got a point. It is not really an important mission. I ejected in that mission and was able to progress to the end.

Hey, it worked for me. If it doesn't work for you, practice torpedo runs on full afterburn. Once you master those (and can dogfight really well for the other parts) this game is dead easy. :)

Well, the thing about it is that the torp STARTS locking at 12000, and the AMGs start at 10000. The torp's not done locking before 8500.

Ack, that's right, they're moving towards you in this mission. Now I remember the part I missed...you have to burn PAST them first on the first run, and be quick about turning around at around 8000-9000, cutting your throttle. Basically you're making a 180 burner slide as you start to lock your torp...You CAN lock it before they get into AMG range...I've almost never been hit by an AMG before...

The other thing is that if you can deal with not seeing the ending, the kills don't count towards anything, so you can just skip that mission and move on to SO2. *L*

Back