Gettysburg-class Supercruiser

psych

Destroyer of assclowns
This thread is being started to publically unveil the latest work of the WC Saga Team. This one is more of an “easter egg” and a New Year’s gift from the Team then a ship that will be in the main WC campaign, but this ship was done to show you guys the attention to detail we’ve been applying to this mod.

The first is the Gettysburg-class supercruiser, a vessel that was in service around Wing Commander 1 – the year 2654. For all intents and purposes this ship is the class for the famous TCS Austin. If you didn’t know already, the Austin was only seen very vaguely in WC SM2 (and even then, they used an Exeter model as a placement), but it has been featured a lot in the WC scripts and the Freedom Flight novel.

GettyA.jpg

GettyB.jpg

GettyC.jpg

Reason why we picked the ship type to be around supercruiser/battlecruiser type: the fact that Admiral Tolwyn uses it as his flagship is proof that this ship was a big command and control vessel, but the Freedom Flight novel referred to it as a cruiser. We could have just called it a heavy cruiser, but SM2 script has Jazz saying how the Austin was bigger then the Tiger’s Claw. So we made it a supercruiser to show how big it was, but kept the “cruiser” designation (instead of calling it a battleship or dreadnought) to make Freedom Flight happy.

Approximate length is around 750-ish meters and tonnage is around 50,000 tons. Fighter complement is around 20 fighters. Main battery consists is 4 triple-turrets (if you look closely at the Exeter and Snakeir blueprints, they have one each), and we’re leaning on heavy neutrons for the armament (these were mentioned in the Kilrathi Saga manual). There is also a cruise missile launcher and 10 laser turrets.

All credit goes to Michael “Lynx” Lechner for the design concept, the model, and the textures.

Oh my my
Oh hell YES!

frankly, when the previous screens were released I was wondering if it would look like a stripped-down Claw. No more worries. That is the great "proud ship"!

Over the past few months, we've seen this model take shape and we have all been pleased with the Exeter-type look to the design (take that SM2 :) ). What I've failed to realize till now when I saw that last image was how much it also included a WCM-style "WWII battleship in space" supercruiser look, especially on the bow of the ship. A nice nod that gives a little more justification to the supercruiser title it has been given. As always Lynx, top notch!

C-ya

Okay, now that my brain has finished droolmode:

Would it be appropriate to call it a "battlecruiser", since it looks all kinds of fast and is obviously armed to the proverbial teeth, or is it armored to match the guns?

Do we have stats on the mythic Heavy Neutron Guns, and how do they relate to the green weaponry on the 'Claw?

This thing is effectively a battlecruiser, but to be on the safe side (and in tune with WC1 ship classifications), we're calling it a supercruiser for now. As for armor, it should be about the same rating as the Tiger's Claw.

As for turreted neutron gun.

Service Date: 2645
Penetration: 70
Energy: 85 nJ
Range: 4000k
Refire Delay: .25 sec

"The capital-ship version of the neutron corresponds to the fighter version, although certain modifications produce a higher fire at the cost of range."

As for if they are on the Claw, I don't know. You'll have to ask LOAF.

Chernikov said:
Damn, you would think they could squeeze more range than that out of the gun (4000 meters? Blah...)
4000km? Thats as far out as capship lasers engage you in WC3 :).

C-ya

IIRC, we don't ever actually see the turreted lasers on capships in the games... they're the "fast" neutron guns found on the fighters (Broadsword/Sabre/Crossbow).

(They show up on a lot of novel-introduced ships, though.)

That is a thing of beauty!!!

I like how it looks like something from the WC1 era, you can tell it shares common origins with the Bengal, and the Exeter.

Well, I kind of late seeing this thread, but I just had to post something...

THIS IS ONE GOD DAMN EXCELLENT PIECE OF ART ! ! !

:D :D :D :D :D

It is just AMAZING!!!!!!!

Back