Getting help for Standoff.

Andropolos

Spaceman
Real life rules all. Eventually we all are getting hit by it more and more till finally we become 9-5 family men (or the living dead by some other definition) :)

I have seen in another thread that Eder has to have this thing wrapped by the beginning of 2004. After that he has some RL issues he has to contend with. Quarto and Pedro have RL isues of their own. So, the question bugging my mind is where does that leave you and me, just what can we do? Code it ourselves?

If I had been fortunate enough to go back some years, the answer would surely be different. But as it is, I can't code. Sad but true. Most of us can't. Some can, and for everyone who daydreams after seeing a REAL 3D Jalthi, I need say no more. Here is your chance to make something happen, take it.

- Off course there is also the road less traveled... and in this case is the following....

http://nwvault.ign.com/features/interviews/Steel_Wind061903.shtml

In that interview you will see a charismatic project leader, a lawyer (like myself :) ) who took it upon himself to bring Dragonlance into the land of the living_with_PC_having_NWN_installed. He was short on artists and programmers. What did he do? He sent the Top 50 colleges of the states who do have a Game devellopment course, and got them interested. Guess what, it worked!

Why? Because by helping a modding project the gamedev students would get a "Portofolio" without all the hassles of ACTUALLY having to work for a game company (YET), and taste their mettle. Actually some of them got jobs, BECAUSE OF THEIR INVOLVMENT IN THE PROJECT.

So, the greatest problem in Standoff being missions, I say Eder or someone else from that team, contact this guy, get the 50 colleges list, and spam'em with "I WANT YOU FOR WING COMMANDER:STANDOFF" posters, explaining what it is you do and what they would presumably have to do. I thing that programming in WCPP would surely help them with their careers.

What dragonlance team did...

http://nwvault.ign.com/thegame/screens/DLA/Medium/UniversityRecruitment-Poste_info.jpg

I know and am fully aware that most kids nowadays play Counterstrike, much like in my days we used to hug around the EGA screen waiting for our turn playing WC2 on the only friend with a computer.

In other words a 3d shooter would do it, an RPG maybe, but a #D space shooter with WW2 game mechanics? SURE. Even if we get 2 or even 3 it will be worthwhile. And I suspect there will be a lot more.

Here's hoping...

I'm pretty much ready to create basic missions. In less than 2 weeks I should be able to create more complex missions and provide assistance.

Thank You Iceblade

Now if only 2-3 more could contribute, we would all be playing STANDOFF come start of 2004.

The other road, the less travelled one of speaking to colleges with gamedev courses, remains (if needed!)

The problem with doing what you've suggested, Andropolos, is first of all, that we don't have time to teach people the basics of WCPPas. We'd either have to be lucky and find people who learn quickly, or people who already know the basics - and I don't think there are any people who know WCPPas basics outside these forums.

Secondly, this could generate more response than we want to. We really need only two or three dedicated programmers, because after all, WCPPas is poorly documented, and all the more advanced functions would have to be taught to these people directly by us. So, having to sort through a dozen people and having to answer dozens of questions about the more advanced WCPPas stuff every day could cause us more trouble, not to mention that I'm not confortable at all working with (anyone else, really ;)) more people than what is strictly necessary for the mod.

All in all, I think it's easier to find three or four people who know WCPPas basics already, who we're sure will dedicate themselves to the project (being WC fans, after all), and who we're sure we can help learn WCPPas without delaying the mod even further. But hey, thanks for the suggestion :p

Oh, Eder. Just to let you know, I am still in high school and am also in the marching band, but I am willing to give almost all my spare time to programming.

Back