Getting Back into the Series

Hey everyone,
Used to really enjoy this series so many years ago and recently was given a few computers and was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on one to use for playing The Kilrathi Saga through maybe Prophecy.
The first is a Dell Dimension v400
400MHz Intel Pentium II
Currently I believe 64 MB 100MHz SDRAM DIMMs.

The second Dell Dimension XPS t600r
600MHz Intel Pentium III
64 MB PC100 SDRAM DIMMs
GTX Geforce FX 5600
Two PATA drives 36.5 and 122.9 GBs free

Last a HP Vectra C/300A Series7 Celeron 300MHz 64MB RAM
Rage iic agp graphical card and 3.2 GB PATA hard drive

Let me know if any of these can be used for these games and or suggestions on things I should be looking for to replay this amazing series.
Thanks

I appreciate the suggestion but for me I'm trying to play the games as I originally did in the late 90s. So I'm trying to use older hardware if it will work for this.

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
I appreciate the suggestion but for me I'm trying to play the games as I originally did in the late 90s. So I'm trying to use older hardware if it will work for this.
Yeah, that's plenty. That's twice as much computer as you need to run either Kilrathi Saga or Prophecy. The only thing you're missing is a 3dfx Voodoo card for 3d accelerated graphics as they would have appeared in 1997. On a modern system, you can upgrade Prophecy with the OpenGL patch to get full effects, but without that and on a classic machine, you'd be in Direct 3D mode, which is missing some effects.

Yeah, that's plenty. That's twice as much computer as you need to run either Kilrathi Saga or Prophecy. The only thing you're missing is a 3dfx Voodoo card for 3d accelerated graphics as they would have appeared in 1997. On a modern system, you can upgrade Prophecy with the OpenGL patch to get full effects, but without that and on a classic machine, you'd be in Direct 3D mode, which is missing some effects.
Thank you for that info I'll keep an eye out for a Voodoo card.

Now with that said I recently found a Gateway Performance 1500 Specs of it being
Pentium 4 running at 1.5 ghz
Gateway Geforce 2 32mb Graphics card
128mb RAM

So with that versus my previously mentioned
Dell Dimension XPS t600r
600MHz Intel Pentium III
64 MB PC100 SDRAM DIMMs
GTX Geforce FX 5600

Which would you keep and which Operating system would I get the best results with?

Cherno

Spaceman
I believe there is an emulator for 3DFX cards, I know I used one a few years ago for some game from the era that required GLIDE.

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Thank you for that info I'll keep an eye out for a Voodoo card.

Now with that said I recently found a Gateway Performance 1500 Specs of it being
Pentium 4 running at 1.5 ghz
Gateway Geforce 2 32mb Graphics card
128mb RAM

So with that versus my previously mentioned
Dell Dimension XPS t600r
600MHz Intel Pentium III
64 MB PC100 SDRAM DIMMs
GTX Geforce FX 5600

Which would you keep and which Operating system would I get the best results with?
It shouldn't matter, both are much more powerful than the system required. A 166MHz system with 16 megs of RAM was sufficient. The operating system will make more of a difference to avoid incompatibilities. Windows 95/98 were obviously the original OSes, but you have to make sure you can get drivers for everything. Windows XP with Win 95/98 compatibility mode should work fine.