German Phone Card Highlights Prophecy Marketing Blitz (December 11, 2019)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Dominus of Exult managed to get his hands on a very cool and rare collectible, the promotional prepaid telephone card for Wing Commander Prophecy! It came in a large folder covered in key art, which contains a smaller container for the card itself. The denomination was 6 Deutsche Marks. To explain to kids of the new millennium: prepaid phone cards were used in the '90s to authorize calls from a pay phone without having to carry money. This is one of at least four similar Wing Commander promos that we know of. One was released in the UK with the Wing Commander II logo, another was available in Japan with the Super Famicon WC artwork and a second Japanese card tied in with the Wing Commander Movie.

I stumbled over a weird Wing Commander Prophecy telephoncard folder in Germany

--
Original update published on December 11, 2019

Assuming that's a double-A battery in the first image, that box is pretty big and I see nothing to indicate that this is not a game box. While this is an interesting find for folks like us, I wonder if anyone would have been disappointed finding this is not the actual game.

The realisation that there are younger folks who may have never seen or used a pay phone (or don't remember a time before mobile phones were ubiquitous) suddenly makes me feel quite aged...

Yeah, the length and width seem close to game box dimensions, but it's very thin like a folder, which would have been apparent to people picking it up. Also the 6 DM price tag.

Not only are there people around who don't remember a time before commonplace cellphones, but those people are old enough to have children of their own now...

Assuming that's a double-A battery in the first image, that box is pretty big and I see nothing to indicate that this is not a game box. While this is an interesting find for folks like us, I wonder if anyone would have been disappointed finding this is not the actual game.

The realisation that there are younger folks who may have never seen or used a pay phone (or don't remember a time before mobile phones were ubiquitous) suddenly makes me feel quite aged...

This was probably a giveaway of some sort when it was new; buy Wing Commander Prophecy and so-and-so department store and get a 6 DM phone card free. The form factor of the folder is probably specifically so it could be shrink wrapped with a copy of the game.

In a few weeks the beginning of the 90's will be as far in the past as the beginning of the 60's were back than. Kids today think the 20th century was a long time ago.

Back