General Midi with AWE64

NoMention

Rear Admiral
I'm still having problems with General Midi using my SB AWE64 ISA card. When my autoexec bat file runs, it runs AWEUTIL with the /EM:GM parameter. It says that General Midi has been started. What I don't understand is this whole IRQ thing. When I try to install Privateer through DOS, it asks for Music card so I pick General Midi. It then asks for Base Address and I choose 330, since that is my my BLASTER setting has it set to. Then it asks for a music IRQ. Where do I find that??? I've searched high and low to find the IRQ. I have the SB IRQ set to 5 (for base 220) but I don't see anywhere to set the IRQ for General Midi. I thought it was pretty much a set it and forget it type of operation with the port address of 330. Privateer just hangs when I pick Midi for music. What am I doing wrong?? Midi works fine in windows, why not DOS?

NoMention

As a follow-up, I changed my Sound configuration for Master of Magic to use Port 330 and IRQ 2 for Midi and that works fine. When I try port 330 and IRQ 2 for Privateer, it starts the intro where you can see the world on the left side of the screen and then in it immediately reboots. Why would it work for one game and not another? Now I'm really confused...

I used to run Privateer on my AWE64, but its been many many years- so I probably have no clue what I'm talking about. But maybe I can help a bit.

IRQ 2 is generally reserved by the system, so using it for the sound card is generally a Bad Thing™. I would try setting the music IRQ to 5, same as your sound. You could also try 9 or 11 which are traditional Sound Blaster General MIDI addresses.

If I still had my 64, I'd pull it out tonight and play with it. The card fizzled up a long time ago though (a shame, as its MIDI was far superior to any cards in the live series which didn't have true MIDI synthesizers at all).

Mantor

Back